Ti-Cats vs. Lions Game Day Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Cramp
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Another Ham turnover, Purifoy with the long INT return into Ham territory with under 2mins left. Lulay in to mop up.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:We usually suck in Hamilton. Nice to give it to them

Probably because they have a party at David Braley :rotf:
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
cromartie wrote:I can't tell you how happy this defense is making me. It's a miracle I still have pants on, frankly.

:wink: :wink: :wink:

:rotf: Ahahahahahaha...too funny...Ahahaha :rotf:
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

Make the final 28-3 BC. Lions go to 2-0 to maintain their hold on 1st in the west.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

And with that another happy Canada day
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
PigSkin_53
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
PigSkin_53 wrote:What do you see in Manny Arsenault...it is beyond me??? :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
THAT'S what we see in Manny! :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

DH :cool:
Yes David he can go up in traffic and just as many times as he come down with it, he blows it...and when it is not a high traffic situation he is lackadaisical and disinterested to turn out a 100% effort if he sees that it won't matter to a first down, he will let it go incomplete or worse yet intercepted, or have you forgotten last season already? For example tonight the easy out catch he made and dropped behind his back, and very nearly gave the ball away on the careless fumble he pounced on after the fact.
"Just Win Baby" ~ Al Davis
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

cromartie wrote:
PigSkin_53 wrote:What do you see in Manny Arsenault...it is beyond me??? :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
Well, he can go up and get it in traffic.
Excellent speed for a big WR, excellent hands and is the Lions main deep threat so he gets a lot of attention, sometimes double teamed but it allows teammates to have an easier time getting open. In a windy game it can be difficult making an accurate throw on the deep ball. At times it seems like Jennings is throwing deep to a covered Manny and placing the ball so only Manny can run under it or just as likely it is a hair to far and goes incomplete but it is a fairly safe throw that the defender can't get. Even an incomplete long bomb stretches the D.
pennw
Legend

Manny is a great receiver . Just because he doesn't have a great game every time out doesn't mean he's no good . Last season , he was the best receiver in the league over the last third of the year after Jennings became the starter . He managed to climb into the top 4 receivers in that span , passing many good receivers along the way . And that was from a mid pack point to the upper echelon with a QB change . Some on this board were very down on him mid season , but he proved himself becoming our best offensive player . All players have mediocre games at times .
Rammer
Team Captain

pennw wrote:Manny is a great receiver . Just because he doesn't have a great game every time out doesn't mean he's no good . Last season , he was the best receiver in the league over the last third of the year after Jennings became the starter . He managed to climb into the top 4 receivers in that span , passing many good receivers along the way . And that was from a mid pack point to the upper echelon with a QB change . Some on this board were very down on him mid season , but he proved himself becoming our best offensive player . All players have mediocre games at times .
Quite true. We were down on Arceneaux last season, mainly due to his effort, with the change in QB's the potential that we all expected finally emerged. He was more focused and played like the big physical receiver he needs to be in order to dominate in the CFL. His abilities at seasons end last year were done s double coverage and the opposition knowing he was going to get the ball. Jennings/Arceneaux combo could easily become one of the all time great BC Lion tandems if Arceneaux finds that level of desire/pride he displayed in the final half of 2015; he is transmitted IMO.
Entertainment value = an all time low
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:
pennw wrote:Manny is a great receiver . Just because he doesn't have a great game every time out doesn't mean he's no good . Last season , he was the best receiver in the league over the last third of the year after Jennings became the starter . He managed to climb into the top 4 receivers in that span , passing many good receivers along the way . And that was from a mid pack point to the upper echelon with a QB change . Some on this board were very down on him mid season , but he proved himself becoming our best offensive player . All players have mediocre games at times .
Quite true. We were down on Arceneaux last season, mainly due to his effort, with the change in QB's the potential that we all expected finally emerged. He was more focused and played like the big physical receiver he needs to be in order to dominate in the CFL. His abilities at seasons end last year were done s double coverage and the opposition knowing he was going to get the ball. Jennings/Arceneaux combo could easily become one of the all time great BC Lion tandems if Arceneaux finds that level of desire/pride he displayed in the final half of 2015; he is transmitted IMO.
I still believe there is much more to the Manny story of 2015 that we may never know. A few games prior to Jennings taking over (due to injury to Beck, an important fact) Manny had quit on the team. We all saw that. The radio guys outright called for his release, that is not something professional sports journalists do often or easily. I still contend that Manny was fed up with Cortez and Tedford. Fed up with seeing the Lions play an amazing first half only to stop doing what was working and go on to lose games they should have easily won. Fed up with seeing a lacklustre back-up such as Beck do nothing while a promising rookie (let's not forget Jennings looked REALLY good in pre-season while Beck never even participated in TC due to illness) stood there holding a clipboard. While all this was going down I was surprised Wally did not release Manny to try and shake up his team and pre-empt a seemingly cancerous situation from spreading. With the benefit of hindsight I now wonder if Wally already knew he was going to be the HC in 2016, that Jennings (or a fully rehabilitated Lulay) would be the starting QB and that Manny would be back on board? Or was Wally worried that releasing Manny (who likely would have been scooped up by another team within seconds) would send the message to the dwindling fan base that the Lions were going completely off the rails? As I said, we may never know the full story. But that injury to Beck may be one of the biggest turing points in the recent history of the BC Lions.
David
Team Captain

Belize City Lion wrote:As I said, we may never know the full story. But that injury to Beck may be one of the biggest turning points in the recent history of the BC Lions.
I agree. That was as serendipitous for the Lions as the Als moving a playoff game to McGill because of a U2 concert.

There's no way Wally would have allowed a raw rookie QB to get in meaningful game action, Tedford's own personal feelings be damned. Wally's very old school. You pay your dues and bide your time (Vaillancourt is a rare exception). Except I attended camp last year and was awestruck at Jennings' natural talent and poise. I had never seen a rookie that composed - he was completing passes left and right in the scrimmage (Fanfest), so I was anxious to see what he could do in an actual game.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
maxlion
Legend

David wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote:As I said, we may never know the full story. But that injury to Beck may be one of the biggest turning points in the recent history of the BC Lions.
I agree. That was as serendipitous for the Lions as the Als moving a playoff game to McGill because of a U2 concert.

There's no way Wally would have allowed a raw rookie QB to get in meaningful game action, Tedford's own personal feelings be damned. Wally's very old school. You pay your dues and bide your time (Vaillancourt is a rare exception). Except I attended camp last year and was awestruck at Jennings' natural talent and poise. I had never seen a rookie that composed - he was completing passes left and right in the scrimmage (Fanfest), so I was anxious to see what he could do in an actual game.

Being patient with young QBs is the right approach. Playing Beck before Jennings was the right choice for the longer term, as painful as it was to watch.