Calgary @ BC - Game Journal and Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:In special-teams practices at training camp, Simmons and Wally were both heavily involved in on-field coaching. Simmons worked with the cover teams and Wally worked with the return teams. The return teams had a better day on Saturday.
Ah. That may explain one thing I noticed. Prior to a Stampeder kickoff I noticed Buono and Simmons in the huddle with the BC coverage team. Interesting I thought. Then Finch had the big return. I said to my buddy I didn't know what Wally told the guys but it didn't work. :wink:
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder if there is a movement to get Chuck McMann out of retirement ?
CardiacKid
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Wonder if there is a movement to get Chuck McMann out of retirement ?
Well if Mike O'Shea doesn't survive in Winnipeg, I think the Leos would benefit from his ST coaching skills.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:Wonder if there is a movement to get Chuck McMann out of retirement ?
When the McMann-less coached Lions special teams were giving up those blocked kicks I kept hearing a phrase in my head regarding McMann's retirement: "Careful what you wish for".

If the current ST coach doesn't work out then the Lions should just make Jason Arakgi a player/coach.
JohnHenry
Champion

WestCoastJoe wrote:Re Dave D in his debut ...

Tried some tricks. His team lacked resolve. Mark W's front four and blitzes caused his offence lots of trouble. Motion, fakes and alignments. Not a great debut for former quarterback and present HC and OC. It might not be a seamless transition for him.

Re the blocked punts ...

Amateur hour. Yes, easily fixed at half time. Then why not well prepared in TC and preseason and practice? This kind of schmozzle does not happen to the best prepared groups. Not the end of the world, of course. But if we had not pulled out a win for the ages, there would be much more scrutiny of this lack of preparedness.

Great, satisfying win. Jennings :thup: Rainey :thup: Mark W. :thup: Overall team morale, spirit and resolve brings full credit to Wally :thup:

Lots of heroes.
I was surprised by D. Dickenson's comments on the post-game show, "we couldn't run the ball because the Lions used some different DL blocking schemes we hadn't seen before". Was that the reason the Stamps gave up on the run game? I had thought Messam must be injured?

:roar:
Hambone
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:I was surprised by D. Dickenson's comments on the post-game show, "we couldn't run the ball because the Lions used some different DL blocking schemes we hadn't seen before". Was that the reason the Stamps gave up on the run game? I had thought Messam must be injured?

Stamps didn't exactly persevere with the running game but Messam hadn't exactly produced. At half time he had 5 rushes for 6 yards with carries of 3, 3, 0, -1 and 1. He had the 2 yard TD run in the 3rd quarter then finally doubled his production with an 8 yard carry, his last one of the night, early in the 4th. Final totals 7 carries for 16 yards.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

JohnHenry wrote:

Tried some tricks. His team lacked resolve. Mark W's front four and blitzes caused his offence lots of trouble. Motion, fakes and alignments. Not a great debut for former quarterback and present HC and OC. It might not be a seamless transition for him.

Re the blocked punts ...

Amateur hour. Yes, easily fixed at half time. Then why not well prepared in TC and preseason and practice? This kind of schmozzle does not happen to the best prepared groups. Not the end of the world, of course. But if we had not pulled out a win for the ages, there would be much more scrutiny of this lack of preparedness.

Great, satisfying win. Jennings :thup: Rainey :thup: Mark W. :thup: Overall team morale, spirit and resolve brings full credit to Wally :thup:

Lots of heroes.
I was surprised by D. Dickenson's comments on the post-game show, "we couldn't run the ball because the Lions used some different DL blocking schemes we hadn't seen before". Was that the reason the Stamps gave up on the run game? I had thought Messam must be injured?

I thought Messam might be nicked too. But he looked OK.

Surprised that DD was unprepared for different looks and games. I expect Mark W is prevailing on Wally to allow a more diverse set of schemes. :thup:

Give your head a shake, Dave. No easy game prep against us anymore hopefully.

If Mark W plays it like that, our D will be fine, methinks. Takes confidence to play aggressively. He seems to be growing into the job.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

WestCoastJoe wrote:
JohnHenry wrote:

Re the blocked punts ...

Lots of heroes.

I thought Messam might be nicked too. But he looked OK.

Surprised that DD was unprepared for different looks and games. I expect Mark W is prevailing on Wally to allow a more diverse set of schemes. :thup:

Give your head a shake, Dave. No easy game prep against us anymore hopefully.

If Mark W plays it like that, our D will be fine, methinks. Takes confidence to play aggressively. He seems to be growing into the job.

I was thinking the same thing. This is Mark W's 4th season as a DC and that was one of the best game planned, play called games he has come up with. Maybe he has turned a corner as a coach and he has some pretty decent talent to work with especially at LB, DB, and the interior of the D line.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Maybe Buono has allowed Washington to run a defence that he wanted to run along.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:In special-teams practices at training camp, Simmons and Wally were both heavily involved in on-field coaching. Simmons worked with the cover teams and Wally worked with the return teams. The return teams had a better day on Saturday.
And how would you rate Simmons coaching abilities based on what you saw at training camp?
I didn't see enough of Simmons to draw any conclusions. I spent most of my time watching Wally give instruction and individual feedback to the blockers on the return team. I thought it was odd that he was so personally involved. He didn't take any hands-on role when the offence or defence were on the field.

As Hambone noted earlier, the third partially blocked kick may have been the result of players overcompensating for previous mistakes by trying to help the interior blockers. I saw before the snap that no one had accounted for the edge rusher and I knew he would have a free path to Leone. Sure enough, he blew right in and got his hand on the kick. If a blown assignment is that obvious from 50 yards away before the snap, something is seriously wrong. Hopefully it has been cleaned up. Jeff Reinebold will be eager to probe any weaknesses he sees on the Lions' special teams.
JohnHenry
Champion

Somebody had asked what happened on that blocked-kick play so I reviewed it.

On that goal line "tackle" which prevented the Stamps blocked kick touchdown, it was actually a Calgary player (#26) who ran squarely into his teammate's chest (#36), halting the ball carrier's progress on the 2 yard line. That allowed Lions' #95 Allen to catch up to the play and latch onto the ball carrier pulling him backwards. Another Calgary blocker hit the pursuing #46 Lumbala in the back pushing him out of the play, but #46 looped around into the end zone and charged headfirst into the pile which was still edging towards the goal line, halting the scrum's progress one foot from the goal line. That's what prevented the touchdown. It was the hustle by #95 & #46 with assists to #7 Fraser who never gave up on the play and took on several blockers in the scrum, allowing Allen to get hold of the ball carrier. #41 Clarke also hustled down there and took out a Calgary blocker and #3 Leone was there at the end looking for the ball but got steam-rolled by Calgary #46. Ouch! :bang:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I don't know if Darius Allen was responsible for any of the breakdowns in punt protection but he seemed to be prominent on special teams, along with Eric Fraser, Anthony Thompson and Dyshawn Davis.

Between Allen's play on special teams and the strong game by Mic'hael Brooks and Jabar Westerman in shutting down Jerome Messam and Calgary's rushing attack, the Lions won't be rushing to get Zach Minter into the lineup.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
And how would you rate Simmons coaching abilities based on what you saw at training camp?
Can't remember which session, Friday before Fanfest, but I remember him taking a lot of time working with the front end of the KO return team. Everybody was lined up and he was taking time to talk individually to 4 or 5 of the guys in the front and second tier. I remember it because I was sitting there getting antsy like come on kick the damned ball already.