well, it seems I greatly overestimated willy

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

clearly he is the worst starting QB by far. At least 3 backups better. Really thought wpg was going to be competitive this year. Not with willy.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I'd have to say that the penalties that the Als took did more to slow them down than anything that the Bombers did.
pennw
Legend

It seems many have over estimated Willy . Don't know why as the guy has never demonstrated any great talent . Must have great promo man .
JohnHenry
Champion

Willy was the next one up...much like how J. Franklin is viewed now. The Bombers were the team looking for a starting QB and Willy was regarded as the best available at the time. That doesn't necessarily mean he's a great QB. Willy is so immobile that if has to turn his body in any manner he usually gets sacked instantly. His passing accuracy is often found wanting and he struggles to lead his team to victory.
Rodu
Champion

Who was the last QB the Bombers actually developed on their own of note? All I can remember is trading/signing other teams backups

I mean, Buono found Jeff Garcia, Dave Dickenson, Henry Burris in Calgary, and Casey Printers, Travis Lulay and now Jennings in BC
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Rodu wrote:Who was the last QB the Bombers actually developed on their own of note? All I can remember is trading/signing other teams backups

I mean, Buono found Jeff Garcia, Dave Dickenson, Henry Burris in Calgary, and Casey Printers, Travis Lulay and now Jennings in BC
I don't think wally 'discovered" Henry Burris, but you could add Mike Reilly and Buck Pierce to the Wally QB list.

I think Glenn and Khari Jones started their careers in Winnipeg.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Rodu wrote:Who was the last QB the Bombers actually developed on their own of note? All I can remember is trading/signing other teams backups

I don't think wally 'discovered" Henry Burris, but you could add Mike Reilly and Buck Pierce to the Wally QB list.

pretty sure that khari started out with the lions.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
pennw
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
DanoT wrote:

pretty sure that khari started out with the lions.
That is correct , Jones did start out with BC . Went Winnipeg after his BC stint .
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Khari Jones came to B.C. in 1997 after stops in NFL Europe and the Arena Football League, but that was long before Wally arrived in 2003. Brendan Taman was the Lions' director of player personnel at the time and Adam Rita was head coach.