No Love for Lions - (Predictions, title ed by Mod Staff)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

dat
Rookie

Who thinks the schedule is a bit stupid ? Back to back exhibition and regular season game with Calgary. Then late in the season a back to back with Winnipeg then a game against Edmonton then another back to back with Saskatchewan. After BC's home game against Toronto on July 7th they don't play at home again until August 13th.
A bit of balance would be nice. Not sure what the boneheads at the league office were thinking.

DAT
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

dat wrote:Who thinks the schedule is a bit stupid ? Back to back exhibition and regular season game with Calgary. Then late in the season a back to back with Winnipeg then a game against Edmonton then another back to back with Saskatchewan. After BC's home game against Toronto on July 7th they don't play at home again until August 13th.
A bit of balance would be nice. Not sure what the boneheads at the league office were thinking.

DAT
I'm not certain but I'm guessing that back to back series creates more fan interest on TV and people in the stands.

No home games in mid summer is purrfect for the Lions as lots of people are out of town, on vacation, or pursuing other outdoor interests. Summer football games are just a tough sell in Vancouver.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

It's always tempting to predict that the standings will remain much as they were last year but this has been an offseason of major change across the West and anything can happen. The Stamps and Esks have taken a step back, the Riders are undergoing a total rebuild under Jones and the Bombers are uninspiring. With Wally back at the helm, a promising quarterbacking situation, excellent veteran defence and a much-improved receiving corps, the Lions have as good a chance as anyone at finishing first, so I'll go out on the limb and predict it.

1. Lions
2. Stamps
3. Esks
4. Bombers
5. Riders
David
Team Captain

Eskimos - Too many weapons on offense. Defense missing a few key components but not much of a drop-off. New coach will ensure they don't get complacent.
Stamps - Like Esks, have lost a few key contributors, but a strong, talented organization from top to bottom. Always have strong O and D lines. Will battle for first.
Lions - Under-rated team (5-13 finish? Really Kirk Penton??). No glaring weaknesses. 2 good QBs and a rising star in Jennings. Lots of O-line depth (but can they jell)? D-line biggest question mark. Lack a big disruptive stud. Receiving by committee but lack that "game breaker" should someone like Manny go down.
Bombers - Will improve for sure, but not yet sold on O-line. Losing culture doesn't flip on like a light switch either.
Riders - Team seems to be constantly shifting bodies in and out, always looking to upgrade. Tells me they're at least a year away from being a contender. Lack of QB quality behind Durant a major concern.

Tiger-Cats - Swarming defense means Masoli only has to "manage" offense 'til Collaros gets back. But he can do much more than that. This team could be scary good by mid-season.
Redblacks - They're going to take a step back on defense. Lost 3 big D-line contributors. Losing RB Powell for the year in preseason a blow too.
Argonauts - They'd better hope Ricky Ray stays upright. Tonight he looked old and slow, but no Plan B at quarterback. Letting Harris walk a head-scratcher.
Alouettes - Loads of offensive weapons but too many question marks. Namely it's no-name secondary and questions along the offensive line.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
green road kill
Rookie

So they got us pegged for dead last. I don't think so bud.The football elite are so quick to point out what our weaknesses are and why, we will loose out to such power houses as the Blue Bumpers and Sask fluff.
Maybe one of them can explain to me why, after 25000 free agent camps and millions of air miles,at the end of it Jones (who is a genius ) is out trolling for scraps.
The Bumper Stumpers,spent another year signing just about every body,will it do them any good ,doubt full. Maybe one decade it will come to them,
the best way to billed at team is from with in . You can add bits and pieces, but you don't build a winner on free agents.
Is Willy better than JJ(not in this life time)
Is the secondary better ( at being scored on yes)
Receivers (Not today)
Oline (at getting the QB killed,yes )
D line (close)
I must say, after considering every thing, I do agree with the educated foot ball analyst.

I'll pick us fore 3rd ,but we'll put up a heck of a fight for second
cromartie
Hall of Famer

9-9, first round playoff road loss.

But that's better than last year, so we have that going for us I guess.
pennw
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:cal
wpg
ed
sask
bc

ott
ham
tor
mont
Would you be able to explain your rationale for pegging BC in last place ? or anyone else who puts BC in last place ? Most explain why they put their pecking order the way they do , but have not heard it from any who have BC in last spot . Like why ? Lousy OL ? lousy LBs ? QB is no good ? Defence is no good ?
I see some put BC in first and openly admit they are being homers .Fair enough for them they admit it .Other teams fans put BC last for their own reasons , hate BC , homerism of their own , claim BC has weaknesses etc , or they pay no attention to what happens here in the offseason so assume they will be the same as last year . I don't understand some one who is a Lions fan (?) but unexplainably sees them as the last place team when they had a very good offseason while other teams were in turmoil , losing their entire coaching staff , or firing half their team , or coaching changes also. But somehow that is a better basis for a good team . Is there a basis or is it some sort of anti-homerism ?(if there so such a thing)
Rammer
Team Captain

On occasion KIA doesn't actually know it all, case in point. However he does enjoy some controversy without real malice and I would suspect he enjoyed your comments.
Entertainment value = an all time low
pennw
Legend

Rammer wrote:On occasion KIA doesn't actually know it all, case in point. However he does enjoy some controversy without real malice and I would suspect he enjoyed your comments.
No malice intended , just like to hear some rationale .
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:cal
wpg
ed
sask
bc

ott
ham
tor
mont
Would you be able to explain your rationale for pegging BC in last place ? or anyone else who puts BC in last place ? Most explain why they put their pecking order the way they do , but have not heard it from any who have BC in last spot . Like why ? Lousy OL ? lousy LBs ? QB is no good ? Defence is no good ?
I see some put BC in first and openly admit they are being homers .Fair enough for them they admit it .Other teams fans put BC last for their own reasons , hate BC , homerism of their own , claim BC has weaknesses etc , or they pay no attention to what happens here in the offseason so assume they will be the same as last year . I don't understand some one who is a Lions fan (?) but unexplainably sees them as the last place team when they had a very good offseason while other teams were in turmoil , losing their entire coaching staff , or firing half their team , or coaching changes also. But somehow that is a better basis for a good team . Is there a basis or is it some sort of anti-homerism ?(if there so such a thing)
gut feeling mostly. I expect something to go wrong, ie major injuries etc. However I can see that I seriously over estimated wpg and would now flip the two teams.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

There use to be 4 pre season games, so I don't usually make predictions until after the 2nd game, except come to think of it I usually don't make predictions or play fantasy. I would rather cheer for a team whose victory will help my favourite or 2nd favourite team rather than need to root for a team or player that i have picked to do this or that.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The 2016 regular season is over, so it's fun to look back at preseason predictions. For the record, here are the official final standings:

WEST
1. Calgary 15-2-1
2. B.C. 12-6
3. Winnipeg 11-7
4. Edmonton 10-8
5. Saskatchewan 5-13

EAST
1 Ottawa 8-9-1
2. Hamilton 7-11
3. Montreal 7-11
4, Toronto 5-13

I went out on a limb in preseason and predicted the Lions would finish first in the West. They didn't, but their 12-6 record is about what I expected. I didn't think Calgary would improve upon last year's 14-4 record in Dave Dickenson's first year as head coach, and I thought Edmonton would edge Winnipeg for third place, but overall the West went pretty much as I had expected.

P.S.: Kudos to The Pauser, who predicted the West standings correctly. His only miss was having Montreal fourth in the East behind Toronto.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:P.S.: Kudos to The Pauser, who predicted the West standings correctly. His only miss was having Montreal fourth in the East behind Toronto.
True enough.
The_Pauser wrote:My predicted standings:

West
1. Calgary
2. BC
3. Winnipeg
4. Edmonton
5. Saskatchewan
Excellent prediction, Pauser. Especially putting BC second for the first time in 30 years, and the defending Grey Cup champions as fourth. And when you put Edmonton as fourth in the west, did you believe that they would still qualify for the playoffs because of the crossover?

And when you correctly predicted that Ottawa would finish first in the east, did you think they would end up with a losing record?
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。