Starting Lineup - Season Opener

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Blitz
Team Captain

Now that our two exhibition games are over, who will be our starters as we open the regular season next weekend? Here are a few thoughts and very interested in yours.

OFFENCE

Quarterback: Jennings (Backups - Lulay, Price (disappointed that McGhee was not selected over Price)

Offensive Line: C - Husband, RG - Vaillancourt, LG - Steward, LT - Olifoye, RT - Adcock (backups - Fabian, O'Neil) Practice Roster - Guy? (Our Leos made a great draft in Vaillancourt, who will likely start as a rookie, Husband has surprised and pushed O'Neil to guard)

Fullback: Lumbala

Tailback: Johnson (Backup - the big question is will we keep Allen or Coleman as the backup tailback?) I havent' seen anything in pre-season that makes me think we made a good decision in letting Andrew Harris go. Yes, he would have been expensive but we are paying Travis Lulay huge money to be a backup quarterback.

Reciever: Arsenault, Burnham, Moore, Gore, Iannuzzi (Backups - Adekolu, Blaszko, Brown). I really like Adekolu but somehow Iannuzzi keeps getting the nod to my chagrin. Hopeully we can keep both Adekolu and Blaszko).

The big question will be who will play short side receiver, with Hawkins gone and Jeffers-Harris not being able to take the step up. Will we go with Arsenault and Burnham inside, with Moore moving to the short side wide receiver side? Could Boldevijn be moved outside? Brown has impressed but he is not very big to play the outside. :juggle:

DEFENCE

Defensive Line: Tackles: Westerman, Minter, Brooks, Defensive Ends Roh, Bazzie, Menard (Backups - Ford, Mrabure, Uko) I'm guessing that our Leos will keep Uko for the practice roster. I wonder if our Leos will choose to keep both Forde and Mrabure or cut one of them. (This unit is the one that concerns me most. Washington plays a lot vanilla and neither Bazzie or Roh can get consistent pressure. I actually think Menard is better than both of them and would start him) Defensive end was a key position in the off-season and we have not addressed it so far). Bryant Turner could be moved outside.

Linebacker: Bighill, Eliminian, Lokombo, Clarke (the big question is who will be the backup import linebacker who will also play special teams?)

Nickelback: Purifoy (He comes with baggage but he looks like he can play)

Defensive Backfield (Yell, Lee, Edem, Phillips, Stewart (NI Backups - Fraser, Parker) Import Backup -Clarke)
Special Teams: Leone (kicker, punter)
Returner - Rainey (Backups - Murray-Lawrence, Coleman) Rainey has not looked hungry and our special teams have looked like McMann is still coaching them - not good.

SUMMARY

The exhibition season is often a difficult read. There are positives but also still some big concerns.

Positives: Jennings looks good and Lulay looks a lot better than his past two seasons. Getting Steward into the starting offensive line lineup is a positive but I wish and Vallencourt has made a big impression. The tailback spot is not knocking my socks off and does not look like an upgrade. I would really like to see a change at NI receiver in the five pack receiver set with Adekolu getting a shot but I will likely be disappointed.

Wally has run a good camp and this Leos team has more spirit and more hustle and looks more disciplined.

I certainly don't like our offence. Very little motion or misdirection, just basically a vanilla spread passing offence relying on quick reads and great throws from Jennings from the pocket and the inside run.

I have even more concern with our defense. We don't have a stud pass rusher, we will likely play vanilla zone again with the occasional linebacker or nickel back blitz. Unless our pass rush improves, vanilla zone will not be the recipe for a championship season.

Making things even more worrying, is that our special teams downfield tackling and special teams return game have looked very poor.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Qman
Champion

Blitz wrote:Now that our two exhibition games are over, who will be our starters as we open the regular season next weekend? Here are a few thoughts and very interested in yours.

OFFENCE

Quarterback: Jennings (Backups - Lulay, Price (disappointed that McGhee was not selected over Price)

Offensive Line: C - Husband, RG - Vaillancourt, LG - Steward, LT - Olifoye, RT - Adcock (backups - Fabian, O'Neil) Practice Roster - Guy? (Our Leos made a great draft in Vaillancourt, who will likely start as a rookie, Husband has surprised and pushed O'Neil to guard)

Fullback: Lumbala

Tailback: Johnson (Backup - the big question is will we keep Allen or Coleman as the backup tailback?) I havent' seen anything in pre-season that makes me think we made a good decision in letting Andrew Harris go. Yes, he would have been expensive but we are paying Travis Lulay huge money to be a backup quarterback.

Reciever: Arsenault, Burnham, Moore, Gore, Iannuzzi (Backups - Adekolu, Blaszko, Brown). I really like Adekolu but somehow Iannuzzi keeps getting the nod to my chagrin. Hopeully we can keep both Adekolu and Blaszko).

The big question will be who will play short side receiver, with Hawkins gone and Jeffers-Harris not being able to take the step up. Will we go with Arsenault and Burnham inside, with Moore moving to the short side wide receiver side? Could Boldevijn be moved outside? Brown has impressed but he is not very big to play the outside. :juggle:

DEFENCE

Defensive Line: Tackles: Westerman, Minter, Brooks, Defensive Ends Roh, Bazzie, Menard (Backups - Ford, Mrabure, Uko) I'm guessing that our Leos will keep Uko for the practice roster. I wonder if our Leos will choose to keep both Forde and Mrabure or cut one of them. (This unit is the one that concerns me most. Washington plays a lot vanilla and neither Bazzie or Roh can get consistent pressure. I actually think Menard is better than both of them and would start him) Defensive end was a key position in the off-season and we have not addressed it so far). Bryant Turner could be moved outside.

Linebacker: Bighill, Eliminian, Lokombo, Clarke (the big question is who will be the backup import linebacker who will also play special teams?)

Defensive Backfield (Yell, Lee, Edem, Phillips, Stewart (NI Backups - Fraser, Parker) Import Backup -Clarke)
Special Teams: Leone (kicker, punter)
Returner - Rainey (Backups - Murray-Lawrence, Coleman) Rainey has not looked hungry and our special teams have looked like McMann is still coaching them - not good.

SUMMARY

The exhibition season is often a difficult read. There are positives but also still some big concerns.

Positives: Jennings looks good and Lulay looks a lot better than his past two seasons. Getting Steward into the starting offensive line lineup is a positive but I wish and Vallencourt has made a big impression. The tailback spot is not knocking my socks off and does not look like an upgrade. I would really like to see a change at NI receiver in the five pack receiver set with Adekolu getting a shot but I will likely be disappointed.

Wally has run a good camp and this Leos team has more spirit and more hustle and looks more disciplined.

I certainly don't like our offence. Very little motion or misdirection, just basically a vanilla spread passing offence relying on quick reads and great throws from Jennings from the pocket and the inside run.

I have even more concern with our defense. We don't have a stud pass rusher, we will likely play vanilla zone again with the occasional linebacker or nickel back blitz. Unless our pass rush improves, vanilla zone will not be the recipe for a championship season.

Making things even more worrying, is that our special teams downfield tackling and special teams return game have looked very poor.
last year wally consistantly had 8 OL in the 46. so 3 backups.

By dressing a US kicker, we can't dress a backup US RB. It will be Johnson ... Rainey and Shaq have to be the backup. Rainey is a natural RB (Florida). The 4 DIs are 1) Leone 2) Rainey 3) 4th US DL (last year Bazzie), and 4) 3rd US LB/extra US DB (last year was Hoffman-Ellis). Thats why its important that Bo can fill AHE's role. Then we can then dress Clarke as 5th US DB or a 4th US WR in the 4th DI spot.

They usually have only 6 DL on 44 game day roster.

Boldevijn will be the X receiver when healthy.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

What baggage ? Care to share your insight ?
[/I certainly don't like our offence. Very little motion or misdirection, just basically a vanilla spread passing offence relying on quick reads and great throws from Jennings from the pocket and the inside run.
quote]

Too early to be criticizing the offence. Teams don't reveal their offensive plays in the exhibition season. Let's wait til the regular season to see if the Lions' offence is really like.
pennw
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
[/I certainly don't like our offence. Very little motion or misdirection, just basically a vanilla spread passing offence relying on quick reads and great throws from Jennings from the pocket and the inside run.
quote]

Too early to be criticizing the offence. Teams don't reveal their offensive plays in the exhibition season. Let's wait til the regular season to see if the Lions' offence is really like.
I agree , you can't make an assessment of a teams schemes based on pre-season games with back ups playing .
Would like to see Boldewiyn play in that spot Qman .
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Qman wrote:last year wally consistantly had 8 OL in the 46. so 3 backups.

By dressing a US kicker, we can't dress a backup US RB. It will be Johnson ... Rainey and Shaq have to be the backup. Rainey is a natural RB (Florida). The 4 DIs are 1) Leone 2) Rainey 3) 4th US DL (last year Bazzie), and 4) 3rd US LB/extra US DB (last year was Hoffman-Ellis). Thats why its important that Bo can fill AHE's role. Then we can then dress Clarke as 5th US DB or a 4th US WR in the 4th DI spot.

They usually have only 6 DL on 44 game day roster.

Boldevijn will be the X receiver when healthy.
The starters are pretty well set, as listed by Blitz. The only real question is who will be the final two designated imports. I think DyShawn Davis is a lock for one position at linebacker, occupying the role that Alex Hoffman-Ellis filled last year. That leaves one spot for a rotational D-lineman (Minter, Uko or Darius Allen) or a DB (Steven Clarke). The Lions have Canadian depth at both positions. Maxx Forde could be a third Canadian in the D-line rotation, negating the need for a fourth American. Keynan Parker, Eric Fraser and rookie Anthony Thompson all look to be capable of stepping into the secondary.

My preferred D-line would have Minter (or Uko) at nose, Brooks at 3-tech, Westerman and Bazzie (or Allen) at ends, with Menard and Forde as two Canadians in the rotation. That makes room for Steven Clarke to get the final DI spot as dimeback.
green road kill
Rookie

I totally agree with The Lion King, it is far to early to have an opinion of this team positive
or negative. The one thing to remember about pre season games and the only thing, to remember is that these games are for the coaches.What we as fans think is great may not
be, all that great, and what we think is bad, may not be all that bad.
I do wish people would forget about the start of last year.MW did the best he could with the cards he had.Last year the secondary was R Phillips and some guys,and when he went down all that was left was some guys.You may think betting the farm on a busted flush is a
good idea,but not really
Lets give Jones a break and see what he does, before we kick his but off the pier. Jones 2 has two things he didn't have before,far better QBs and an O LINE.
Travis lullay is worth every penny there paying him,and if you don't believe me check out GOPHER FLATS.
Last week we went toe to toe with the Stumps and were dead even after the first halve ( win fore us).This is a better team than last year and I am really looking forward to the season.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some random thoughts ...

QB. Jennings. Very good, and potentially even better than that. Lulay. Very good backup, even if not as sharp as in 2011.

RB. Johnson. Should be competent.

Receivers. Should be very good. Manny. Nick. Burnham. Et cetera. And this is especially so with Jennings passing the ball.

O Line. Dunno. IMO the jury is out. Complete overhaul, and that is a concern. New positions. Size? Yes. Athleticism? Not so sure. Teamwork? Assignments? Instinctive play vs thinking too much? We will see. One has hopes. Vaillancourt brings promise. Olafioye made his name at right tackle, now at left tackle. Steward has played left tackle, now at left guard. Husband new at centre. Vaillancourt a very promising rookie at right guard. Fabien seems to have backslid, but he is still a talent. Adcock new player at right tackle.

D Line. Rush end? Rush end? Is Bazzie the guy? Is Roh the guy? With our preference for zone, this group needs to be outstanding.

LBs. 100%. Solly and Biggie. Nickelback? Dunno. Purifoy has shown promise.

DBs. Should be very good.

STs. Dunno. Very good vs Riders. Not so good vs Stampeders. McMann out. Simmons in. It was long overdue time for a change.

IMO it is never too early to evaluate. Evaluation camps. Film. Training Camp. Preseason. Regular season. Practices. Games. Evaluate. Adjust. Evaluate. Adjust. It goes on forever. That is what the coaches do. That is what the fans do. Evaluate. Make judgments. Adjust. Rinse and repeat. Every day to some extent. Individuals, groups and systems.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Honour Dewalt
Champion

Arceneaux
Just checking if it's one of those "purrfect" things.
Blitz
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
quote]

Purifoy went fafter being projected as a middle-round draft choice due to a couple of issues involving drugs while at the University of Florida. He was also suspended for 10 games while a free agent in 2015, which usually means he violated the NFL's drug policy.

He is definitely athletic and could be a big plus for us. He has height, size, speed, he is aggressive, and he can hit. Prior to his 2013 season, which was a bit of a disappointment, he was projected as one of the top 32 players in the next NFL draft and even a possible a first round draft choice.

With regard to our offence, I am more than aware that teams don't reveal most of their offence in the exhibition season. However, you can usually pick up the type of offensive style they will likely use. Khari Jones has used some two back sets during the exhibiton season, as well as the spread offence five pack receiver set. That is a positive. But, outside of the waggle, there has been little motion. In looking at other CFL exhibition games, most other CFL offences have shown more offensive variety so far. Just my observation and I also recognize that I have a bias in my observations, based on our 2014 season under Jones. Hopefully I will be proven wrong.

One thing for sure, Jennings is a quarterback who reads quick, releases quick, and has poise in the pocket. Those are big assets when we are operating from the spread and especially when defenses are blitzing.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Terrific breakdown Blitz and some great observations guys.

Can't read too much into pre-season as suggested but I came away from Friday night thinking this looks like about a 10-8 team. Offence should be better overall — led by Jennings continued emergence. Moore will be a nice fit. Gore and Ianuzzi adequate national receivers but a few notches below the Clermont, Thelwell and P. Jackson era.

More concerned about the defence. It's not a dominant front 4 and can't compete with the league heavyweights like the Stamps. Lions had a fanastic run of great DEs from Herman Smith, Brent Johnson, Cam Wake to Keron Williams.
Williams led the league in sacks in the 2012 and Benevides decided to get cute and move him to tackle. He put on extra weight for the move inside, had a horrible 2013 season and was never re-signed. One of the weird developments in team history and the Lions have been looking for an elite DE since. Seen enough of Roh on a 7-11 team a year ago to know he isn't the answer and Bazzie has only shown flashes of brilliance.

As BC FAN pointed out Edem looked like so many other Lions safeties Friday night in what has become a black hole since Barron Miles retirement.

The key in this market is an explosive and entertaining 10-8 team outweights a pedestrian 12-6 team. That's the chance they have with Jennings.
pennw
Legend

You can't assess the offence in preseason , not only because teams do play vanilla , but also with players being cycled in and out all game long . How can the starters be assessed when they are off the field ? Last time Jones was OC he had Gleen for QB , and any OC will look bad with Glenn in . Last season our offence only looked good when Jennings played , even though the OC was the same guy the whole time . The same goes for other Teams when they lose their starting QB. Where are the ALS with out Calvillo or last year , the Riders without Durant ? Or BC without Jennings ?
David
Team Captain

I can see a 11-7 or 10-8 finish, good enough for 3rd place in the competitive West (behind the Esks and Stamps).....like WestCoastJoe, a little concerned that we've made too many changes to the O-line. I think they'll be good down the road, but until they really get familiar with their new positions, and each other, it could be "Bill And Ted's (Not So) Excellent Adventure"......one thing's for sure. Adcock better be an improvement over Draheim, or I'll be really pissed........agree with SammyGreene we still lack a dominant DE, but am confident in our linebacking corps and the coverage skills of our defensive backfield that we can still be pretty good on D. I think the Stamps O will have a lot of tricks in store for us Saturday; it's going to be a hell of a challenge......personally, I welcome the change to Johnson at running back. Our time with Harris had run its course. I will miss his superior receiving skills out of the backfield, but not the sulking and pouting. He always called it 'team first' because he's so competitive, but I think it fell perilously close to 'me first.' Just my opinion.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Was somewhat surprised to see Rainey hardly involved in the offence at all during the pre-season. I'm guessing the Lions knew he was a lock for a roster spot as a returner and really wanted Johnson, Allen and Coleman to get all the touches. But I'm sure Wally will be looking for a much better effort than he got from him last Friday. He will also have to be a significant part of the offensive package moving forward as one of two international RBs dressing each game, which is very likely handcuffing the Lions from dressing both Johnson and Allen.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

OK I just got tix to the Home/Season Opener.

Where (downtown) do people like to pregame?

EDIT: Please move if this should be posted elsewhere.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I usually park on Seymour so we usually wind up in one of the restaurants in Yaletown.