Stampeders vs. Lions Game Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Finally, fans get to see the 2016 Lions and their new jerseys. Last opportunity for rookies to strut their stuff for the coaching staff before final cutdown. Looking forward to seeing Charles Vaillancourt working with the first stringers.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:Finally, fans get to see the 2016 Lions and their new jerseys. Last opportunity for rookies to strut their stuff for the coaching staff before final cutdown. Looking forward to seeing Charles Vaillancourt working with the first stringers.
Vaillancourt was working with the first stringers in the first pre season game when Lulay was on the field. Except Adcock didn't play.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This will be a good chance to see the starters in action, at least in the first half. Aside from the change forced by the retirement of Lavelle Hawkins, the official starting lineup for Friday night includes only two changes from the lineup on Day 1 of training camp, and both changes have been widely reported this week, Charles Vaillancourt starting ahead of Kirby Fabien at right guard and Lucheiz Purifoy replacing Steven Clarke at nickelback. Here's a closer look at the few positions up for grabs:

OFFENCE:
With the exception of Vaillancourt's rise up the depth chart at right guard, the starting O-line hasn't changed through training camp. Expect this unit to stick together through the early part of the regular season at least as they try to build experience playing together.

Terence Jeffers-Harris moved up the depth chart at short-side wide receiver when Hawkins retired and has stayed there but Kendrick Ings is still in the mix, as is the injured Geraldo Boldewijn, who may start the season on the injured list. A strong game from Jeffers-Harris can solidify his position heading into the regular season.

DEFENCE:
Rookie DB Loucheiz Purifoy is listed as the starter at nickelback, backed up by fellow rookie Chandler Fenner. This is the biggest battle on defence, and by far the most important. Clarke had been pencilled in at nickelback from the start of camp, despite having no experience at the position, but he had a terrible game in Regina. Clarke and rookie Royce Adams, who also has had practice reps at nickelback, are listed as backup halfback for Friday. At most, two of those four players will make the opening-day roster.

Solomon Elimimian is listed on the depth chart at starting middle linebacker but he tweaked his hamstring the other day and may not get a chance to test his surgically repaired Achilles in game action. DyShawn Davis looked great in the middle on Saturday. He's worth watching closely on Friday in case the Lions have to start the season with Team 80 (Davis wears No. 36) instead of Team 100 as a linebacker tandem.

The defensive line starters haven't changed through training camp but Darius Allen is worth watching at defensive end, as is George Uko at defensive tackle, who was well contained in Regina. There's room for one of them in the D-line rotation, and Allen probably has the inside track.

Other than those positions, the Lions have a solid, veteran lineup. The rebuilding of the past few years appears to be over.
squishy35
Legend

Buono has indicated that Jennings and Lulay will get the bulk of playing time tonight. I will be watching Ings at WR when he is in and Davis at LB as I think both of these players will be given a fair amount of opportunity. Too bad this isn't televised or streamed...... :(
squishy35
Legend

http://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/wp ... ne-171.pdf

Brooks is in at DT and Sol-E is in at MLB according to the depth chart.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Just waiting for my buddy to respond. If he's not going tonight my ticket is available for anybody who'd like it. PM me if interested. I'm definitely not going and was just waiting to see if he wanted mine. It's a single but if he's not going then I can likely get him to forward his as well. Great seats 45 yard line 18 rows up on the aisle.

EDIT: My buddy responded that he's not going. My ticket is definitely available to whoever wants it. Just need an email address to transfer it.

EDIT AGAIN: Tickets have gone to SirP.
Last edited by Hambone on Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Depth chart

Westerman DT :thup: This seems more like his natural position.

Roh DE Ditto

Purifoy Nickel ... Hope we don't miss Josh Johnson too much this year.

Edem ahead of Fraser at Safety.

Stewart at corner

Vaillancourt at right guard

Jennings and Lulay to get the reps at QB

Pretty much a regular season starting lineup. Good matchup with the Stampeders to see where we stand. Wally wants to win. Dave D new at the helm for Calgary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

Anyone know if tonight's game is being streamed anywhere? I just assumed TSN would do a double-header tonight but alas no.....
I would much rather watch it than listen via the radio; simply because I want to watch guys on the bubble.

Thanks for any info!

Edit: I see the TiCats are streaming their game via their website and Facebook. The advantage I guess of having an owner well versed in tech and interwebZ. Seems a shame a Stamps-Lions game can't be watched...even preseason.
Last edited by CardiacKid on Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Just waiting for my buddy to respond. If he's not going tonight my ticket is available for anybody who'd like it. PM me if interested. I'm definitely not going and was just waiting to see if he wanted mine. It's a single but if he's not going then I can likely get him to forward his as well. Great seats 45 yard line 18 rows up on the aisle.

EDIT: My buddy responded that he's not going. My ticket is definitely available to whoever wants it. Just need an email address to transfer it.
PM sent
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:Anyone know if tonight's game is being streamed anywhere? I just assumed TSN would do a double-header tonight but alas no.....
I would much rather watch it than listen via the radio; simply because I want to watch guys on the bubble.

Thanks for any info!

Edit: I see the TiCats are streaming their game via their website and Facebook. The advantage I guess of having an owner well versed in tech and interwebZ. Seems a shame a Stamps-Lions game can't be watched...even preseason.
There is no broadcast or streaming available. TSN will have to revisit this issue next year. The Lions/Riders game on Saturday was one of the highest rated sports events of the weekend, with over a half million viewers despite the one-hour power outage. Those would be good numbers in the regular season, and much better than most alternative sports events on the weekend calendar.

There are lots of tickets floating around for this one though if you're in town. I'm going with a group of eight, and freebies were being handed out liberally at work for the first time in several years. The Lions seem to be making a big push this year to get bums in the seats, one way or another. The good news is people are lining up for the freebies. In recent years I've had trouble giving away tickets but there seems to be lots of interest in this game.
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:Anyone know if tonight's game is being streamed anywhere? I just assumed TSN would do a double-header tonight but alas no.....

Thanks for any info!

There is no broadcast or streaming available. TSN will have to revisit this issue next year. The Lions/Riders game on Saturday was one of the highest rated sports events of the weekend, with over a half million viewers despite the one-hour power outage. Those would be good numbers in the regular season, and much better than most alternative sports events on the weekend calendar.

There are lots of tickets floating around for this one though if you're in town. I'm going with a group of eight, and freebies were being handed out liberally at work for the first time in several years. The Lions seem to be making a big push this year to get bums in the seats, one way or another.
Yeah, we actually have tickets as part of being season's members but are unable to come over on the ferry. I just assumed as part of the league's efforts to increase its profile, preseason games would be broadcast across the board. Silly me......
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Hambone wrote:Just waiting for my buddy to respond. If he's not going tonight my ticket is available for anybody who'd like it. PM me if interested. I'm definitely not going and was just waiting to see if he wanted mine. It's a single but if he's not going then I can likely get him to forward his as well. Great seats 45 yard line 18 rows up on the aisle.

my two also. bb
Wear orange or wear nothing
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Thanks for any info!
TSN isn't going to through the expense of a double-header for exhibition games. Because of their US Open coverage they opted for the 2nd of the East games. It doesn't kick-off until 5:00 so would've overlapped the BC game by a good hour.
Maybe they'll look at more exhibition coverage next year. The ratings so far this year have been outstanding compared to the past 2 years of ex-game broadcasts. I think a big factor in that is the way TSN has strategically selected games that are in time slots with the least competition for viewership. The Winnipeg/Montreal game I believe drew 500K+ but was on a day where the Jays played in the afternoon and there was no Stanley Cup Final action. The Rider/BC game also drew 500K+ was competing with the final few innings of a Detroit Tiger/NY Yankee game and an AHL Calder Cup playoff game. That ball game drew only 160K sets of peepers while the Jays game earlier in the day had 868K watching. Tonight the Argos and Als are going head-to-head against the Jays and Orioles, a rematch of last weekend's series which averaged 900K over the 3 games. I think TSN will be lucky to break 300K tonight with stiff competition in play.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

This business with the limited number of preseason games being broadcast by TSN raises a question for me. I checked the TSN site and they state they are the "exclusive" broadcaster of the CFL preseason. And yet Hamilton is streaming tonight's game via their site and Facebook.
Another thing with Hamilton and their web presence; their website differs substantially from every other team's and the CFL site. There is a pretty obvious website template in place for the majority of the league; there are slight variations but by and large they are very similar in layout, look, content and functionality. The Ti-Cats site is a total departure from that template.
I am curious as to how the Ti-Cats managed to exempt themselves from the website makeover ever other team and the league itself went through?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Impressive opening drive