Stampeders vs. Lions Game Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

pennw wrote:Like some others , I don't get why Price is ahead of Mcghee . IMO Price looks like a big down grade . I can see why the Riders cut him . Is it that Mcghee was a Tedford guy ? Like ditching Draheim ? Draheim , BTW, appears as the starting LT for Ottawa on their depth chart for their last game , the starting RT the game before .
Another puzzler is the demotion of Zach Minter . Last year it was the tandem of Minter and Brooks that got it done . Why 'fix' what's not broke ?
I believe Minter has been nursing a back injury so that could be the reason he hasn't been front and centre.
pennw
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
pennw wrote:Like some others , I don't get why Price is ahead of Mcghee . IMO Price looks like a big down grade . I can see why the Riders cut him . Is it that Mcghee was a Tedford guy ? Like ditching Draheim ? Draheim , BTW, appears as the starting LT for Ottawa on their depth chart for their last game , the starting RT the game before .
Another puzzler is the demotion of Zach Minter . Last year it was the tandem of Minter and Brooks that got it done . Why 'fix' what's not broke ?
I believe Minter has been nursing a back injury so that could be the reason he hasn't been front and centre.
I thought they had decided to put Westerman in as a starting DT beside Brooks , with Minter out . That was a combo they tried last season that was very weak , then later they went to the Brooks-Minter tandem that turned out to be among the best in the league in the late season . Now this sounds like regression once again . Is Roh better than Menard straight up ? I would say no , so if we have National DE who is at least as good as the international ahead of him (IMO better than) , why not use him as a starter??? Rotate him and Westerman , don't mess with a great setup in the middle . :dizzy:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:Like some others , I don't get why Price is ahead of Mcghee . IMO Price looks like a big down grade . I can see why the Riders cut him . Is it that Mcghee was a Tedford guy ?
Buono is certainly giving him lots of opportunities to prove himself.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Some concerns:

D Line. Has Roh shown that he can be a dominating force? I don't think so. Bazzie? Dunno. And it seems to this fan that a defence needs a dominating rush end. Interior --> Brooks and Minter were solid as a team late last year. With moves and changes, we might not see that tandem. Westerman, inside, outside, inside -- confusion. Same with Roh, inside, outside.

O Line as always. Our guys have the heft and girth that Dan Dorazio loves. Do they have the necessary mobility and athleticism? Will we miss Tommie Draheim? It seems to this fan that he was solid last year at left tackle, and he had great mobility and athleticism. IMO ... We need solid, even great run blocking, and that requires some athleticism. And we need solid pass protection. That requires skill and teamwork. Dan's record with run blocking and pass protection is spotty in some regards. If CV, Charles Vaillancourt, starts (and he looks very, very promising), we will have 4 new starters, and the fifth, Olafioye, at a new position. All these changes make for a very large concern.

Special teams. Good vs the Riders. Not so good vs the Stampeders.

Jennings should be fine.

With Jennings at the helm, it seems to this fan that our passing game can be very good. He also has skills to combat the pass rush, and that might be his salvation, if our O Line plays like Swiss cheese.

Johnson should be fine as a runner, if we can get him some holes to run through.

Just IMO, as a fan since the 1960s.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
pennw
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
pennw wrote:Like some others , I don't get why Price is ahead of Mcghee . IMO Price looks like a big down grade . I can see why the Riders cut him . Is it that Mcghee was a Tedford guy ?
Buono is certainly giving him lots of opportunities to prove himself.
Who do you mean , Price or Mcghee? I see Price as being given all the opportunity , Mcghee nothing . Maybe Price is showing it in practice , but he don't look good at all so far in games .
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

McGhee looked much better than Price in the practices I saw in Kamloops. He's mobile, makes good decisions, has a strong arm and delivers the ball on target. Receivers, though, had a lot of trouble with his left-handed deliver an kept dropping passes or bobbling them into the air.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Greg McGhee one of the Lions cuts today
CardiacKid
Legend

Wally was blunt in his assessment of the special teams; "non-existent" was the term he used.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Greg McGhee one of the Lions cuts today
This is the part of the game that bugs me. One thing to get a shot and blow it and get cut but McGhee didn't get so much as a sniff at real play in the pre-season while Price played and looked for the most part awful. Damn perplexing. The guy put in a season here as well, doesn't that merit at least a few mins of opportunity to at least try and show what you have? Just doesn't seem right.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Greg McGhee one of the Lions cuts today
This is the part of the game that bugs me. One thing to get a shot and blow it and get cut but McGhee didn't get so much as a sniff at real play in the pre-season while Price played and looked for the most part awful. Damn perplexing. The guy put in a season here as well, doesn't that merit at least a few mins of opportunity to at least try and show what you have? Just doesn't seem right.
Preseason games mean little in the evaluation of a player. Team rosters and starting lineups are set by coaches in the offseason. Players are scrutinized and evaluated for two weeks of training camp, and a few players rise and fall on the depth chart as a result. I like Greg McGhee and Terence Jeffers-Harris but their fates were sealed long before they stepped on the field last night.
JohnHenry
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:McGhee looked much better than Price in the practices I saw in Kamloops. He's mobile, makes good decisions, has a strong arm and delivers the ball on target. Receivers, though, had a lot of trouble with his left-handed deliver an kept dropping passes or bobbling them into the air.
With McGhee being a southpaw, that may have tipped the scales in Price's favour. The 3rd-stringer isn't really a pressing concern for the Lions with a 23-yr-old starting QB and Travis in reserve who'll likely play at least two more seasons. At least their practice QB will now have the ball spinning the right way. :wink:

I'm surprised they didn't bring in a boatload of RB prospects to camp to replace A. Harris? Last year they brought 8 QB's to camp and found Jennings and McGhee. They seem to be set on their current RB tandem before camp opened. Where are the new Larry Key's and John Henry White's? :ref:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

JohnHenry wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:McGhee looked much better than Price in the practices I saw in Kamloops. He's mobile, makes good decisions, has a strong arm and delivers the ball on target. Receivers, though, had a lot of trouble with his left-handed deliver an kept dropping passes or bobbling them into the air.
With McGhee being a southpaw, that may have tipped the scales in Price's favour. The 3rd-stringer isn't really a pressing concern for the Lions with a 23-yr-old starting QB and Travis in reserve who'll likely play at least two more seasons. At least their practice QB will now have the ball spinning the right way. :wink:

I'm surprised they didn't bring in a boatload of RB prospects to camp to replace A. Harris? Last year they brought 8 QB's to camp and found Jennings and McGhee. They seem to be set on their current RB tandem before camp opened. Where are the new Larry Key's and John Henry White's? :ref:
IMO, two experienced CFL RBs in Allen and Johnson that the Lions signed in free agency are better than a boatload of prospects. Plus they have Rainey and a good looking prospect in Coleman who although short at 5'6" looks speedy and powerful at 192lbs..
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:I like Greg McGhee and Terence Jeffers-Harris but their fates were sealed long before they stepped on the field last night.
If there fates were decided then one wonders why they bothered to dress them for the game of put them on the field at all. I'm sure that opinions are set to some degree but there have been more than a few instances where those opinions have been changed with on-field performance and given that the next in line performed pretty horribly in both opportunities, you have to wonder why they didn't give the other guy at least a little bit more of a look under game conditions.

Can you tell me that if Jeffers-Harris had played lights out on Friday that he still wouldn't be on the team today?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:I like Greg McGhee and Terence Jeffers-Harris but their fates were sealed long before they stepped on the field last night.
If there fates were decided then one wonders why they bothered to dress them for the game of put them on the field at all. I'm sure that opinions are set to some degree but there have been more than a few instances where those opinions have been changed with on-field performance and given that the next in line performed pretty horribly in both opportunities, you have to wonder why they didn't give the other guy at least a little bit more of a look under game conditions.

Can you tell me that if Jeffers-Harris had played lights out on Friday that he still wouldn't be on the team today?
Jeffers-Harris had his chances late in Friday's game and didn't make the best of them. But when Bryan Burnham took his starting position and played the entire first half and part of the third quarter with the other starting receivers, scoring a TD in the process, it was pretty clear that Jeffers-Harris wasn't in the team's plans.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I would still maintain that McGhee didn't even get that much of a shot and given that their alternative was basically horrible. If their minds were that set against him from the get go, you really have to ask why have him on the roster in the first place? They must have had a pretty good idea of what he brings to the table, he has been around a year after all. I know it will never change but this to me is the symptoms of WallyWorld. It hasn't been so long ago that I have forgotten his strange predilections towards bias based on a somewhat unclear set of priorities. Every other QB got at least a quarter worth of Football. McGhee got about 4 mins.