Stampeders vs. Lions Game Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

pennw
Legend

Wally said in an interview the other day that sometimes preseason games do make a difference to making the team and gave the example of Jeff Garcia being on the verge of being cut . Then played terrifically in the preseason game , which made the difference to making the team . Hard to believe now , but he was an unknown then .
David
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:I would still maintain that McGhee didn't even get that much of a shot and given that their alternative was basically horrible. If their minds were that set against him from the get go, you really have to ask why have him on the roster in the first place? They must have had a pretty good idea of what he brings to the table, he has been around a year after all. I know it will never change but this to me is the symptoms of WallyWorld. It hasn't been so long ago that I have forgotten his strange predilections towards bias based on a somewhat unclear set of priorities. Every other QB got at least a quarter worth of Football. McGhee got about 4 mins.
I would have preferred to see McGhee get more playing time in preseason too, but you have to remember the club has had the 2-day mini-camp in April and 3 weeks of training camp to evaluate him. And you know the Lions' philosophy when it comes to 2nd year quarterbacks. They have to make measurable strides in camp the 2nd year or it's next man up. Perhaps McGhee just didn't show enough progress.

Price hasn't looked all that good, but he's also not as familiar with the receivers on the team as McGhee. I am sure that was taken into consideration.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Sir Purrcival wrote:I would still maintain that McGhee didn't even get that much of a shot and given that their alternative was basically horrible. If their minds were that set against him from the get go, you really have to ask why have him on the roster in the first place? They must have had a pretty good idea of what he brings to the table, he has been around a year after all. I know it will never change but this to me is the symptoms of WallyWorld. It hasn't been so long ago that I have forgotten his strange predilections towards bias based on a somewhat unclear set of priorities. Every other QB got at least a quarter worth of Football. McGhee got about 4 mins.
I would have preferred to see McGhee get more playing time in preseason too, but you have to remember the club has had the 2-day mini-camp in April and 3 weeks of training camp to evaluate him. And you know the Lions' philosophy when it comes to 2nd year quarterbacks. They have to make measurable strides in camp the 2nd year or it's next man up. Perhaps McGhee just didn't show enough progress.

Price hasn't looked all that good, but he's also not as familiar with the receivers on the team as McGhee. I am sure that was taken into consideration.

DH :cool:
Yes, one and done has become common for B.C. third-string QBs who don't show progress in their second year. Mike Beamish quotes Wally on the decision:
“He’s fine young man, works hard, conscientious,” head coach and GM Wally Buono said of McGhee. “(But) I would have expected him to a little further along in his second training camp.”
“I thought Keith Price was more consistent, more accurate and threw the long ball better,” explained the head coach. “That was the biggest difference in my mind. How can you not like him? He’s got a nice personality. He has the skill set. And he’s a West Coast guy.”
Keith Price is the right fit for the Lions