Cuts announced.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Qman
Champion

pennw wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:I'll be interested in seeing what Montreal does. If they release Bridge or Cato I'd much prefer one of them over Price as our 3.
I think the Riders are going to be scooping a QB or two and may be beat BC to the punch on that one , should the Als release a QB . Of course the Riders may pick up Mcghee too. But then are the Als in any shape to be releasing any QB's ?
Boyd got cut. Crompton 6-gamed

they depth chart is: Glenn, Cato, Bridge, adams until crompton comes back

Players added to the practice roster:
Martese Jackson (I), RB, Florida Atlantic
Sean Jamieson (N), OL, Western Ontario
Chandler Jones (I), WR, San Jose State
Nate Isles (I), OL, North Carolina A&T
Jared Koster (I), LB, New Mexico Highlands
Corbin Louks (I), WR, Utah
Cam McDaniel (I), RB, Notre Dame
Jonathon Mincy (I), DB, Auburn
Ramon Taylor (I), DB, Michigan
Dominique Termansen (N), DB, UBC

Players released:
Tajh Boyd (I), QB, Clemson
Drew Burko (N), QB, Saskatchewan
Mikhaïl Davidson (N), WR, Montréal
Mike Davis (I), WR, Texas
Jordan Dewalt (N), DE, Duke
Dominique Ellis (I), CB, South Carolina State
Forrestal Hickman (I), OL, Missouri S&T
Mitchell Jeter (I), DT, The Citadel
C.J. Moore (I), DB, North Carolina Central
Hayden Peters (N), DB, St. Francis Xavier
Mackenzie Sarro (N), FB, Calgary
Nick Temple (I), LB, Cincinnati
Matthew Toppan (N), OL, Guelph
Jimmy Underdahl (N), QB, Calgary

Players added to the six-game injured list:
Luc Brodeur-Jourdain (N), C, Laval
Alex Charrette (N), WR, Guelph
Jonathan Crompton (I), QB, Tennessee
Andrew Lue (N), DB, Queen’s
Wayne Moore (N), RB, McMaster
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Scuttlebutt on RF.com is that the Riders have already pilfered Ese Mrabure-Ajufo and Dillon Guy from the Lions' unannouned PR.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:Scuttlebutt on RF.com is that the Riders have already pilfered Ese Mrabure-Ajufo and Dillon Guy from the Lions' unannouned PR.
According to a 3 Down Nation report both Ese and Guy refused to sign a PR contract with the Lions and are now on the Riders 46 man roster.

Maybe Wally should have offered to pay more money than the minimum or maybe he did but not enough.

Maybe Wally should have kept Guy and released Fabien.

One more maybe:

Maybe Boyko gets released from his NFL team and most of the above won't matter much.
maxlion
Legend

Surprising, if true, that we would give up on Guy so quickly.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:Surprising, if true, that we would give up on Guy so quickly.
I don't think it's so much as given up on as having no roster spot for him. Come to think of it at camp I didn't notice him at all. However I also wasn't looking for him either.
Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:Scuttlebutt on RF.com is that the Riders have already pilfered Ese Mrabure-Ajufo and Dillon Guy from the Lions' unannouned PR.
both were offer PR spots but declined, so they were cut. Riders picked contracts of both because they a three spots below the 46.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ese was a mistake from day 1, the day of the draft, picked way too high. Not his fault. Maybe a new team will give him a spark. We wish him the best. (if he is gone)

I expect the Lions liked Guy. He may not have fully recovered from his injury. Tough to hide him, especially if he does not want to go on the PR. (if he is gone)

It would be very nice indeed if Boyko comes our way.

OK, roster moves done.

Like some other posters, I think 10-8 or 11-7 might be reasonable expectations for us this year. Who knows? A lot depends on Jennings.

O Line has to perform.

D Line has to perform.

STs have to be competitive.

Systems have to be competitive.

With the leaders on the team, Solly, Biggie, Travis, et cetera, I expect team morale and work ethic will be fine.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

Is this confirmed anywhere? Because i am wondering why the Riders would scoop a defensive and offensive lineman when they ditched half of their QB depth (Smith released and Sims on the 6-week IR) and leave themselves woefully unprotected at backing up Durant. BJ Coleman hadn't experienced game action at QB for a year before playing the Leos a little over a week ago. He hadn't played outside since 2013.

Right now the Riders have only 2 QBs on their active roster and they share less than a quarter played in the CFL last year between them. From outside, it looks they have WAAAAY bigger holes in their roster than what EMA and Dillon Guy can fill.

Also, what is to stop Wally from putting Guy on the IR? The guy is coming off major surgery; the Riders put Sims on their IR...did he hurt his Molson Muscle? Pull his paunch? He makes Tom Wilkinson looks svelte.....

Something doesn't smell right in the state of Denmark....oh wait, he's gone too.
Last edited by CardiacKid on Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxlion
Legend

Hambone wrote:
I don't think it's so much as given up on as having no roster spot for him. Come to think of it at camp I didn't notice him at all. However I also wasn't looking for him either.
Fair enough. It just seems to me that we need to do a better job of protecting our assets. A few weeks ago, he was the steal of the draft. Today we give him away for nothing. Gotta give a good prospect more than 1 training camp to make an impression. If he's good enough to steal away, he should be good enough to protect or trade if necessary.
Qman
Champion

maxlion wrote:
Hambone wrote:
Fair enough. It just seems to me that we need to do a better job of protecting our assets. A few weeks ago, he was the steal of the draft. Today we give him away for nothing. Gotta give a good prospect more than 1 training camp to make an impression. If he's good enough to steal away, he should be good enough to protect or trade if necessary.
wally would have 6-gamed him if he thought it was worth saving.
I think they came to the conclusion that Guy wasn't worth it versus what they had. maybe his injury is more of a long-term issue that will be a ceiling on his level of play
CardiacKid
Legend

I am going to wait for something official; this was reported by Justin Dunk who declined to name his sources. He also is noted for his quick trigger finger when it comes to his twitter account.

But this does raises a question in my mind though....how can the Riders make overtures to players who may or may not be on the practice roster? After all, the Lions IR and PR hasn't been announced and isn't to be announced until tomorrow. How do the Riders know? The timing of this along with the Leos decision to wait until tomorrow to make their final roster announcement raises questions; one of which is how often does this happen? Players refusing PR spots and signing with another club.

Suffice to say it's disappointing that Guy may have been let to slip through our fingers. He was rated the best O-lineman available in the draft in some quarters. I hope his being plucked by Jones didn't come about because WB underestimated Jones or Guy. That would be a pisser...
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:I am going to wait for something official; this was reported by Justin Dunk who declined to name his sources. He also is noted for his quick trigger finger when it comes to his twitter account.

But this does raises a question in my mind though....how can the Riders make overtures to players who may or may not be on the practice roster? After all, the Lions IR and PR hasn't been announced and isn't to be announced until tomorrow. How do the Riders know? The timing of this along with the Leos decision to wait until tomorrow to make their final roster announcement raises questions; one of which is how often does this happen? Players refusing PR spots and signing with another club.
Unlike the Riders and other teams, the Lions are not transparent with their roster moves. Teams had to cut to 46 players by noon Eastern Time on Sunday. All teams have access to each other's cuts and are free to pick up scraps, even if the team doesn't publicly announce its transactions. In fact, the Lions are the only team that didn't announce their practice roster on Sunday.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:I am going to wait for something official; this was reported by Justin Dunk who declined to name his sources. He also is noted for his quick trigger finger when it comes to his twitter account.

Unlike the Riders and other teams, the Lions are not transparent with their roster moves. Teams had to cut to 46 players by noon Eastern Time on Sunday. All teams have access to each other's cuts and are free to pick up scraps, even if the team doesn't publicly announce its transactions. In fact, the Lions are the only team that didn't announce their practice roster on Sunday.

Perhaps on Sunday morning they were still trying to get Ese and Guy signed to the PR and then when they couldn't get it done they put the two on waivers giving Riders the first chance to sign them to their 46 man roster, something the Lions didn't want to do.

For the Lions to keep Guy they would have had to sign to the PR or release one of the O line backups, either O'Neil, Dhillon, or Fabien. I guess they needed those guys more than Guy.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:For the Lions to keep Guy they would have had to sign to the PR or release one of the O line backups, either O'Neil, Dhillon, or Fabien. I guess they needed those guys more than Guy.
Signing them to the PR doesn't protect them. The Riders, or any other team for that matter, can still sign them off the PR with the Lions only option to keep them being to put them on the 46 and dump someone else.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:Perhaps on Sunday morning they were still trying to get Ese and Guy signed to the PR and then when they couldn't get it done they put the two on waivers giving Riders the first chance to sign them to their 46 man roster, something the Lions didn't want to do.

For the Lions to keep Guy they would have had to sign to the PR or release one of the O line backups, either O'Neil, Dhillon, or Fabien. I guess they needed those guys more than Guy.
Interesting development to say the least. The Lions were doing cartwheels when they landed Guy where they did. With draft getting more exposure than ever before it does suggest to me some of these prospects are getting a little overhyped and, in Guy's situation, his slip in the draft was warranted. In the end, the Lions deemed Jas Dhillon, 2014 Argos 3rd rd pick who the Lions signed last fall, more valuable.