Marcello Simmons - ST coach of the Lions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Nice article by Lowell Ullrich. Some excerpts ...

http://3downnation.com/2016/06/10/simmo ... ial-teams/
Before every session, the Lions’ new special teams coordinator starts by identifying a leader in sports or business and talks about the attributes that made them successful. One day it’s a short discussion about the competitive nature of basketball great Bill Russell and another, before he entered hospital prior to his passing, it’s Muhammad Ali.

It’s an approach that wouldn’t fly with every member of the coaching staff, least of all Wally Buono. To this point in camp though, it has gained the respect of the position group that needs to improve the most and may turn out that the arrival of Simmons becomes the Lions’ best move of their off-season.
Sitting in a meeting room, I would like to hear those stories. They bring context, motivation and humanity to what could otherwise be drudgery.
“It’s just taking a minute to understand that we’re talking about life through football,” the 45-year-old Simmons said explaining his routine to start the meeting workday. “We want to maximize our time. If I can bring a different approach within that but get guys to rally them I’m all for that. You can’t just line up and tell players to go places because you said so. I’m an old school guy with a bit of new school feel.”
He sounds like a very good motivator.
His predecessor, Chuck McMann, was universally loved by the Lions but was routinely being outcoached. McMann thought the players he coached were either too light or disinterested, but the result was still the Lions were losing the field position game badly.

B.C. had the league’s top punter, Richie Leone, last year, but the Lions finished seventh in the league covering kicks and just blocking for Leone was an adventure at times. They were last covering kickoffs and were caught napping on a couple of occasions giving up onside kickoffs.

“Last year was definitely the low point,” one veteran said. “They (Lions) had to do something.”
Yes. God bless Chuck, but our STs were badly outcoached during his tenure.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Simmons
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

1996 player card with the Argos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dat
Rookie

I can't help but think that the special teams will be improved this year. Last year ST's cost us at least one game. Namely at home against Winnipeg when BC had a punt blocked, gave up a first down on a fake punt which turned into a running play, gave up an onside kick. Chris Rainey was excellent on returns , hopefully he can continue and lets hope Leone can clear up the issues he had on converts.

DAT
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Special Teams has been an area of glaring weakness the past few years. If they hope to have a winning team, this area has to improve.
David
Team Captain

There's no doubt in my mind that we're going to be better on STs this year. Can't believe how ill-prepared and generally uninspired we were these past few years.

I agree. Nothing exposed us quite as badly as that Winnipeg game. The fake punt and onside kick... :dizzy: Last year was like 'nap time' in kindergarten. As though 12 guys just fell asleep on the floor.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
pennw
Legend

It's only 1 game , but what a huge improvement in special teams play .
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

pennw wrote:It's only 1 game , but what a huge improvement in special teams play .
Agree. Much better coverage. The biggest improvement for me is the lack of penalties on special teams. This year's team albeit only 1 game, is much more disciplined.
caobax
Rookie

M.S.s' bio precedes him. The family hopes he enjoys your 2o16 c.f.l. Season. Marcel sure had Rainey and co. 'going' at different levels in Regina.

His special teams is threatning. Installing schemes in which your defence is forcing safeties or constantly securing punts deep in friendly territory ought to equip our Leo with sound scoreboard leverage, chow.