Lions vs. Riders Exhibition Game Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

After 5 years absence Wally Buono returns back to the sidelines. Does he still have the magic touch ? Questions, questions, questions. Looking forward to seeing the latest recruits and draftees do under live fire.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions and Riders seem to be taking much different approaches to this game. Wally has said he wants to establish a winning culture right from the first preseason game. The Lions are playing a lot more of their starters than the Riders. Rider QB Darian Durant won't play. Their starter is CFL rookie B.J. Coleman, who last played a year ago in the Arena League and hasn't played outdoor football since 2013. All 12 starters on defence for the Riders are new. That may be a good thing in the long run but the Lions should be able to exploit their inexperience.
Rammer
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions and Riders seem to be taking much different approaches to this game. Wally has said he wants to establish a winning culture right from the first preseason game. The Lions are playing a lot more of their starters than the Riders. Rider QB Darian Durant won't play. Their starter is CFL rookie B.J. Coleman, who last played a year ago in the Arena League and hasn't played outdoor football since 2013. All 12 starters on defence for the Riders are new. That may be a good thing in the long run but the Lions should be able to exploit their inexperience.
Exhibition is just that, exhibition. I don't expect either team to gain much momentum for the season from this games outcome. I am just hoping to unearth a couple new starter potentials. Game plans are generic, lots of deer in the headlight play. That said Jones will attack on D, more than is acceptable for a preseason game, establishing a very physical contest. Lions better be prepared to bring similar intensity into the game. With this in mind itshould be good to evaluate new players compete level.
Entertainment value = an all time low
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions are in their new home orange jerseys and helmets tonight so we should see the same uniforms next week for the home preseason game and again the following week for the regular season opener.
Blitz
Team Captain

Adekolu starts at wide side outside receiver and Iannuzzi sits. Burnham starts at slot to see what he can do while Jeffers-Harris lines up as the short side wide receiver. Gore and Arsenault also start but Blaszko will get reps.

Four of our five starting offensive lineman will play, with only Gaines, at right tackle being given a chance to show his stuff, the only likely non-starter on opening day. Johnson will start at tailback, which likely means he is #2 at that position going into this game.

On defense, Minter and Brooks are not dressing, with Uko and Westerman starting at defensive tackle with Forde and Mrabure seeing action. Eliminian stays home and Clarke starts at middle linebacker. Phillips also sits and Fenner gets to start at wideside halfback while Parker gets to start at corner.

Looking at who is starting against the Riders and it looks like right now that Iannuzzi is ahead at wide side outside receiver, Anthony Allen will be our starting tailback on opening day of the regular season, and Boldewijn also projects as a starter at receiver.

My guess for our opening day lineup on offence and defense, if everyone is healthy is:

OFFENCE:

Quarterback: Jennings
Receiver: Arsenault, Moore, Boldewijn, Gore, Iannuzzi
Offensive Line: Husband, Steward, Fabian, Olafloye, Adcock
Tailback: Allen

Anyone think O'Neil is ahead of Husband?

DEFENCE

Line: Roh, Bazzie, Brooks, Minter, Westerman, Minter
Linebackers: Eliminian, Bighil, Lokombo
Nickel: Clarke
Backfield: Yell, Lee, Edem, Phillips, Stewart

The remainder will be fighting for backup positions and special teams, along with practice squad spots.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Loads of backups for Jones. But he wants the win, I am sure.

We might as well see the heat. Less of a shock later.

Preseason, Yes. But one expects lots of good play. Wally wants the win. So does Jones.

I think it was Lombardi who said the only thing you learn from losing is how to lose. I seem to recall us wiining lots of preseason games in Wally"s early years here.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Re: O'Neill I don't recall him reps many reps at centre. Seemed mostly out there a LG with the second unit.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Around the Table, with Rod Smith. Regrets.

Dave D"s painful regret. 2004 Grey Cup. Coaching got in the way. We kicked off first half and second. We played on our heels all game. Not sure if he should have started over Casey Printers. Sometimes the coaches have to get out of the way.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:Re: O'Neill I don't recall him reps many reps at centre. Seemed mostly out there a LG with the second unit.
Yes, the big acquisition seems to be nothing more than a versatile insurance policy if one of the younger nationals goes down.

Minter and Boldewijn have been injured for most of training camp. I wouldn't expect either of them to make the starting lineup. Bryant Turner is also a big question mark at DE, having missed most of camp. I hope that George Uko makes the starting rotation on the defensive line. If he performs as he has in camp, he might force Wally to rethink his plans to start Westerman inside, and instead move Brooks to 3 tech and rotate Westerman at DE with Menard. Bazzi, Roh and Allen could fight for the remaining DE spot. The D-line is the position group with the most intrigue for me.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Keith Price starting
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Nice start for Marcello"s ST unit.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Ouch on D.

Facemask. Big pass play against.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Defence holds
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Two nice plays by Yell
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

That looked like an INT by Lee. Wally could have challenged it. Good opening drive for the Riders, though.