2016 CFL Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Rocko604 wrote:So... this is happening. :clown: :clown: :clown:

http://3downnation.com/2016/11/24/30-pi ... y-cup-tix/

The last time a Grey cup will be held in Toronto for a looooooong time..... :cr:

I understand they were handing out tickets at Toronto Horton's the day of the game when the Grey Cup was last played prior to the 100th. It is a very good thing an Eastern Division club is represented and not the Western cross-over; otherwise it could have been very sad.

I was very surprised when Toronto was chosen ahead of Ottawa or Hamilton; maybe those 2 cities weren't keen but hosting a Cup 3 times in 10 years? Its overkill. IMO the Lions were unwise to host the Cup so soon after 2011. I think the Cup in Ottawa in 2017 will be a big hit and I hope to be going to that one as well.

Despite the negative press this one has gotten; it is all about the game itself. And despite Calgary being heavy favourites, I think this RedBlack team will show up and fight.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Who will be watching the CFL awards tonight? There's only one Lion among the finalists. May he win the Most Outstanding Defensive Player award.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Robbie wrote:Who will be watching the CFL awards tonight? There's only one Lion among the finalists. May he win the Most Outstanding Defensive Player award.
Solomon Elimimian and Marco Iannuzzi both won CFL awards. Congratulations!
Solomon Elimimian and Marco Iannuzzi honoured at CFL Player Awards

(Vancouver) The BC Lions Football Club is pleased to announce that linebacker Solomon Elimimian has been named the CFL’s Most Outstanding Defensive Player for 2016 and receiver Marco Iannuzzi has earned the Tom Pate Award for his dedication to community service.

For Elimimian, it’s the second time in the past three seasons he has earned the league’s top defensive honour. The hard-hitting seven-year veteran had a historic and remarkable return from a season-ending injury in 2015, leading all CFL defenders with 129 tackles while also adding eight sacks. This is Solomon’s fourth career Outstanding Player award and he now joins former Lions Bill Baker, James Parker and Cam Wake as a two-time winner in the defensive player category.

“I’m tremendously proud of this award tonight,” said Elimimian. “The hours it took to return to the field were long and the work required to reach this level again was tremendously difficult, but tonight would not possible without the help of my teammates, coaches and support staff. This is a reflection on all of our efforts and I’m honoured to accept it on behalf of our entire organization.”

Recognition of BC Lions at the annual CFL Awards taking place in Toronto this evening wasn’t limited to their efforts on the gridiron however, as wide receiver Marco Iannuzzi was awarded the prestigious Tom Pate Award for community service. A tireless contributor to many of the club’s community programs as well as undertaking countless charitable endeavors on his own, Marco was a worthy

“It’s special to me and my family because of the sacrifice of time,” said Iannuzzi. “Every time I go to an event I’m taken away from my family. To be rewarded is not why I am doing it, but to see the league recognize the sacrifice and time I’ve put in means a lot to me, my wife and kids.”
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Congratulations to Solomon Elimimiam in winning his second most outstanding Defensive Player award in addition to his previous MOP and rookie awards. May that inspire the Lions defence to step up their performance if they want to appear in the Grey Cup next season.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I forgot that Marco Iannuzzi had a chance to win the Tom Pate Memorial award as well. Congratulations to him for being the first Lion to win that award in 10 years since 2006.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Surprisingly, Elimimian's peers didn't vote him to the CFL Players Association all-star team announced Thursday. Jovan Olafioye and Richie Leone were the only Lions named to the team, voted on by CFL players and position coaches.

Manny Arceneaux and Bryan Burnham were also snubbed. Duron Carter and Marquay McDaniel made the CFLPA list as receivers.

CFLPA 2016 ALL-STAR TEAM
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Can't believe Duron Carter was named as an All Star.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

What do you think about the newly designed CFL individual trophies?

Personally I'm not too thrilled about their design. It looks like they simply want to advertise and advertise their brand new CFL logo by placing it at the top of the trophy. At least the base is still customized for the winner by inscribing their name and team.
祝你龍年行大運。
aklawitter
All Star

B.C.FAN wrote:Surprisingly, Elimimian's peers didn't vote him to the CFL Players Association all-star team announced Thursday. Jovan Olafioye and Richie Leone were the only Lions named to the team, voted on by CFL players and position coaches.

Manny Arceneaux and Bryan Burnham were also snubbed. Duron Carter and Marquay McDaniel made the CFLPA list as receivers.

CFLPA 2016 ALL-STAR TEAM
shows that the whole "the players know" argument is bunk
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:Surprisingly, Elimimian's peers didn't vote him to the CFL Players Association all-star team announced Thursday. Jovan Olafioye and Richie Leone were the only Lions named to the team, voted on by CFL players and position coaches.

CFLPA 2016 ALL-STAR TEAM
I guess this means that Solly won't be voted the hardest hitter. :dizzy:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:What do you think about the newly designed CFL individual trophies?

Personally I'm not too thrilled about their design. It looks like they simply want to advertise and advertise their brand new CFL logo by placing it at the top of the trophy. At least the base is still customized for the winner by inscribing their name and team.
Beautiful picture. Solly's jacket matches the trophy. :thup: i like it.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Sweet pic and wonderful moment considering the devastating injury of last season -- a colossal achievement for Mr. Elimimian. Very, very proud of the man. And so proud too of Mr. Iannuzzi for the community service award. Such upstanding young guys. These and others.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Robbie wrote:What do you think about the newly designed CFL individual trophies?

Beautiful picture. Solly's jacket matches the trophy. :thup: i like it.
Solomon Elimimiam's black tie attire is a heck of a lot better than Marco Iannuzzi's informal attire. It looks like Iannuzzi decided to take a page out of Paul McCallum's informal dress by not even wearing a tie.
祝你龍年行大運。
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Robbie, no way I'd know this, but I'm kinda' wondering if perhaps Marco purposefully went with the understated threads so as to all-the-more accentuate his timely accessories -- i.e. in particular that honkin' big Grey Cup past-Champion ring on his finger! Could be dead wrong, but that's how it strikes me. Anyhow... whatever. (Personally, I hate wearing ties -- feels too much like the proverbial noose.) Cheers. Thanks for this.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:Robbie, no way I'd know this, but I'm kinda' wondering if perhaps Marco purposefully went with the understated threads so as to all-the-more accentuate his timely accessories -- i.e. in particular that honkin' big Grey Cup past-Champion ring on his finger! Could be dead wrong, but that's how it strikes me. Anyhow... whatever. (Personally, I hate wearing ties -- feels too much like the proverbial noose.) Cheers. Thanks for this.
yeah, three more cheers for no tie attire. :thup:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back