2016 CFL Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

So is Masoli the QB we saw in this game and the season opener at BMO Field or the QB who underwhelmed in the intervening matches? I hope he figures it out otherwise my Pick'em, Fantasy and Draft Kings choices are going down the dumper.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

No Kidding. I have been having a brutal year so far and I thought this was going to be a pretty easy week. So far I am 1 and 2. Driving me to distraction.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Alputt
Champion

CardiacKid wrote:So is Masoli the QB we saw in this game and the season opener at BMO Field or the QB who underwhelmed in the intervening matches? I hope he figures it out otherwise my Pick'em, Fantasy and Draft Kings choices are going down the dumper.
Not to rub salt in a wound Cardiac but I had Edmonton (the safe choice) on Pick'em until about 15 mins before kickoff. I had a sudden change of heart, mostly to do with rooting for a hated Western rival and changed my pick! Felt pretty dumb about it until half time... What a game!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

WestCoastJoe wrote:I saw just a bit of the 3rd quarter. Big lead for Edmonton. Hamilton scored a TD. Benny had his guys blitzing way more than when he was here.

Wondering ... Did he take the pressure packages off?

Or did he keep them on, and Masoli solved them?

I missed the rest of the game.

Benny is a great guy, but this CFL fan is still not so sure he is a top DC. MW, on the other hand, seems to have really upped his game.

The underlined are my sentiments, exactly. I thought Benny was terrific on TSN with the right amount of fast talking high energy enthusiasm. He should have stayed there.

Of course at half time I was thinking that maybe Austin should bench Masoli. Shows what I know about coaching.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hamilton made the necessary adjustments at the half and it showed.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:I saw just a bit of the 3rd quarter. Big lead for Edmonton. Hamilton scored a TD. Benny had his guys blitzing way more than when he was here.

Wondering ... Did he take the pressure packages off?

Or did he keep them on, and Masoli solved them?

I missed the rest of the game.

Benny is a great guy, but this CFL fan is still not so sure he is a top DC. MW, on the other hand, seems to have really upped his game.

The underlined are my sentiments, exactly. I thought Benny was terrific on TSN with the right amount of fast talking high energy enthusiasm. He should have stayed there.

Of course at half time I was thinking that maybe Austin should bench Masoli. Shows what I know about coaching.
Just saw Maas interview. He was not sure about Ham adjustments affecting his defence. Needs to see film with Benny. Bad sign. Got film guys and spotters to help. If Maas was not sure what was happening, adjustments are tough to make. As TLK notes, Ham made adjustments. Sounds like Benny did not match them. On O Maas put it down to execution. Again, not so good. Sometimes it might be just execution. But when the roof falls in, I would suspect scheme adjustments starting the avalanche.

Sounds like Ham had Plan B and even C. Edm must have stayed with Plan A, which worked so well in the first half.

Body language -->Austin and Steinauer embracing after. Two coaches who won the battle of the Xs and Os in the second half.

As noted this CFL fan thinks Austin is a helluva good coach, and yet they look ordinary this year. Shows the high, competitive level of CFL coaching IMO. It is a tough gig.

Side note ... Milanovich, Austin and Hufnagel, ex QBs all, have great track records developing QBs, getting excellent productivity out of them. So does Wally, although he has said all he does is give the backups meaningful reps in practice. He knows talent, and he gives it an envitonment where it can flourish. It is a long list, even just here in BC. Dickenson. Printers. Jackson. Pierce. Lulay. Reilly. Jennings. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:No Kidding. I have been having a brutal year so far and I thought this was going to be a pretty easy week. So far I am 1 and 2. Driving me to distraction.
The same and I also chose Harris and Williams in the Fantasy pools. Those two have been pretty much a lock for me all year with the exception of Mike Reilly. But when is the tide going to turn for the home team?
CardiacKid
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:Hamilton made the necessary adjustments at the half and it showed.
I was reading an article that was talking about the Lion's comeback in Regina which quoted Ron Lancaster as saying if a team is behind by 10 points at half and comes back to win by 10, it is due to the winners out coaching the losers.
David
Team Captain

Plenty of blame to go around in Edmonton for the epic "Commonwealth Collapse" on July 23, 2016.

Yes, the Eskimo D was picked apart in the 2nd half by a hot-and-cold 2nd stringer, but let's not overlook the fact that the Edmonton offense couldn't sustain any drives in the 4th quarter to save their lives. Reilly got hammered in the pocket because the O-line wasn't able to pick up Hamilton's stunts. Man, he was p****d! Tore a strip off them on the sidelines.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:Plenty of blame to go around in Edmonton for the epic "Commonwealth Collapse" on July 23, 2016.

Yes, the Eskimo D was picked apart in the 2nd half by a hot-and-cold 2nd stringer, but let's not overlook the fact that the Edmonton offense couldn't sustain any drives in the 4th quarter to save their lives. Reilly got hammered in the pocket because the O-line wasn't able to pick up Hamilton's stunts. Man, he was p****d! Tore a strip off them on the sidelines.

Love Reilly's competitive nature but thought he took that tantrum too far with the tossing of his helmet. Know he had just taken a big shot from Chick but was thinking back to all those hellacious hits Dickenson, Buck and Lulay have taken in the past and not a peep.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
David wrote:Plenty of blame to go around in Edmonton for the epic "Commonwealth Collapse" on July 23, 2016.

Love Reilly's competitive nature but thought he took that tantrum too far with the tossing of his helmet. Know he had just taken a big shot from Chick but was thinking back to all those hellacious hits Dickenson, Buck and Lulay have taken in the past and not a peep.
not pissed at getting hit. pissed at not moving the ball and scoring and why. didn't last long. he quickly made good with the oline. it was far from being any kind of tantrum
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
CardiacKid
Legend

Alputt wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:So is Masoli the QB we saw in this game and the season opener at BMO Field or the QB who underwhelmed in the intervening matches? I hope he figures it out otherwise my Pick'em, Fantasy and Draft Kings choices are going down the dumper.
Not to rub salt in a wound Cardiac but I had Edmonton (the safe choice) on Pick'em until about 15 mins before kickoff. I had a sudden change of heart, mostly to do with rooting for a hated Western rival and changed my pick! Felt pretty dumb about it until half time... What a game!
Curses! :)
Yes, I hate picking either the Esks or Riders to win; used to be mostly the Esks but I am finding the Riders more disagreeable and reviled by the day. I had no hesitation in picking the RedBlacks to beat the Riders', as did 80% of the Pickem crowd. No way in hell that Rider secondary was going to stop Harris, Williams, Ellingson et al. I guess their only option was to knock Harris out of the game...oh wait, sorry...I got mixed up...we all know Rider players never, ever do anything inappropriate of a physical nature :tease:
As for the Esks, that took more gumption. I thought if it came to a shootout, the Esks held the upper hand in that scenario.
aklawitter
All Star

nik lewis is no longer just thick

hit the bike man
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

For a change the home team won tonight as the Argos won their first game at BMO with a 30-17 victory over the Alouettes. Costly win for the Argos as they lost Ricky Ray with a suspected sprain MCL
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I just realized that this is rod black

http://captainobvious.hotels.com/
Every day that passes is one you can't get back