2016 CFL Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Over 25 penalties between the two teams.
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:Hamilton and Montreal are terrible teams. Kent Austin doesn't look like a very good coach when he doesn't have a quarterback. Jim Popp has never been a good coach. The two quarterbacks have no pocket awareness, the offensive lines can't block, running backs can't secure the ball and there are too many undisciplined penalties on both sides of the ball. Hamilton has some good kick returners, though.
In the end, the only thing that got me enthused was the fact I picked Hamilton's D/ST in TSN's Fantasy Football.
David
Team Captain

In the end, the only thing that got me enthused was Montreal losing, and watching Vernon Adams Jr. crash and burn in the 4th quarter for the Als, knowing that we'll get their first rounder in the draft next year which, at this point anyway, is looking like a top 3 pick (in addition to our own 1st rounder).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

An interesting snapshot of CFL ratings on ESPN2.....
http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/espn-ra ... um=twitter

What I thought was of particular interest was the fact the Tabbies-Bombers tilt drew better numbers than the game between the New York Red Bulls and the defending MLS champs Portland Timbers.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:An interesting snapshot of CFL ratings on ESPN2.....
http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/espn-ra ... um=twitter

What I thought was of particular interest was the fact the Tabbies-Bombers tilt drew better numbers than the game between the New York Red Bulls and the defending MLS champs Portland Timbers.
ESPN2 ratings seem to be up this year. Last year I believe only a couple of games had 200,000 viewers.
maxlion
Legend

Josh Smith on 3downnation suggests that penalties be levied for unsuccessful challenges:
Currently, a team is charged a timeout if its second challenge is unsuccessful. If the penalty for an unsuccessful challenge was a delay of game penalty, since delaying the game is exactly what they are doing, or a general 15-yard penalty teams might be less inclined to make frivolous challenges like the one we saw from Popp on Friday night.
http://3downnation.com/2016/07/20/unint ... hallenges/

I agree with this. It seems to me that there are 3 circumstances where challenges are made:

1. Blatant missed calls.
2. Marginal calls that could go either way, but where the potential reward heavily outweighs the loss of a timeout if unsuccessful.
3. Faint hope challenges made out of desperation.

It's only in circumstance #1 where challenges are warranted in my opinion.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

3 Bomber turnovers which the Stampeders converted was the difference as Winnipeg lost 33-18. Road teams continue to be a beast this season.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Battle of the backup quarterbacks in Regina. Mitchell Gale replacing Darian Durant and Brock Jensen replacing the injured Trevor Harris. Ottawa leads Saskatchewan 20-17 at the half. Riders returned a 110 yard missed field for a touchdown on the 2nd last play of the half but the touchdown was nullified by an illegal block.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Riders showed maturity in closing out the victory after blowing fourth-quarter leads in two of their three losses. They'll win more games.
CardiacKid
Legend

Anyone dare hop on Riderfans and suggest that Irvin deliberately attempted to cripple Harris? Not saying that was his intent but I bet the reaction would be interesting...

Seriously though...if the interference call on Kaneh was legit after review (not sure it was a catchable ball) then I think the impedence on Williams by Jackson during the final RedBlacks drive is a legit interference call.

Ugggghhhh....now there will be the renewed calls in Riderville that the Grey Cup is back within sight. :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Bad snaps almost cost them the game.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:Seriously though...if the interference call on Kaneh was legit after review (not sure it was a catchable ball) then I think the impedence on Williams by Jackson during the final RedBlacks drive is a legit interference call.
Agreed but Rick Campbell used his second and last challenge six plays earlier, and he used his last timeout on the previous play so he couldn't have challenged anyway.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Yeah, thought that interference call was weak. Personally, thought the receiver should have gotten award for the most dramatic attempt to fall and make it look he was interfered with. But no one is ever really happy with the officiating. They got their gift tonight which I guess is fair enough given that last week they were the ones who lost their QB.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
CardiacKid
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:Yeah, thought that interference call was weak. Personally, thought the receiver should have gotten award for the most dramatic attempt to fall and make it look he was interfered with. But no one is ever really happy with the officiating. They got their gift tonight which I guess is fair enough given that last week they were the ones who lost their QB.
I was thinking the Riders got their gift when they weren't fined or otherwise punished for tampering with the Esks coaching staff.... :tease:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

CardiacKid wrote:Anyone dare hop on Riderfans and suggest that Irvin deliberately attempted to cripple Harris? Not saying that was his intent but I bet the reaction would be interesting...

Seriously though...if the interference call on Kaneh was legit after review (not sure it was a catchable ball) then I think the impedence on Williams by Jackson during the final RedBlacks drive is a legit interference call.

Ugggghhhh....now there will be the renewed calls in Riderville that the Grey Cup is back within sight. :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
Hard to believe that the official who was standing right there, missed interference on Williams. However earlier one of the officials apparently interpreted a incomplete pass signal/celebration of an incomplete pass as a throat slashing gesture :dizzy: It was against the Riders.