2016 CFL Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

mountaincat
Rookie

TheLionKing wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/commish-no-conclusive ... a-1.616962

Interesting comments from Orridge.
not sure how this is all playing out on other news outlets, but this together with the pizza tickets fiasco was the lead story on cbc radio's national news yesterday. orridge's comments were characterized as bizarre/controversial and the pizza thing as kinda pathetic. this league, this league... :sigh:
BC 1988
Legend

Orridge's comments are to be expected, given the legal implications for the CFL to make any admission of guilt/fault.

At least there will be great weather conditions tomorrow for the game: Sunny/cloudy periods high temp 5. winds 10km/hr W gusts up to 20.
It won't be anything like some of the old CNE Stadium GCs where wet field conditions/wind/rain were the norm.

I wonder what unis the teams will wear? Sekeres mentioned on 1040 that he hadn't been able to find out. Assuming CGY is the road team they will wear their road whites. It was funny last Sunday watching both games back to back and the CGY (wearing their black 3rds) and OTT unis were almost identical.
mountaincat
Rookie

i get that he has to walk a fine line, but the statement "no conclusive evidence between football and brain trauma" is itself a conclusive statement of sorts, i would even say an asinine statement at this point in time. there's no denying the evolving reality of this issue anymore, and to try and do so in this context strikes an overly callous and lawyeristic tone. the panel in the video clip in the link lionking posted nailed it when they compared him to gary bettman, and said he should have made a more neutral statement along the lines of "it's in the hands of the medical community". i've seen it said elsewhere that orridge is becoming the bettman of the cfl. that's the last thing we need...
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

mountaincat wrote:i get that he has to walk a fine line, but the statement "no conclusive evidence between football and brain trauma" is itself a conclusive statement of sorts, i would even say an asinine statement at this point in time. there's no denying the evolving reality of this issue anymore, and to try and do so in this context strikes an overly callous and lawyeristic tone. the panel in the video clip in the link lionking posted nailed it when they compared him to gary bettman, and said he should have made a more neutral statement along the lines of "it's in the hands of the medical community". i've seen it said elsewhere that orridge is becoming the bettman of the cfl. that's the last thing we need...
whats wrong with bettman. NHL seems to be in great shape.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
mountaincat
Rookie

KnowItAll wrote:
mountaincat wrote:i get that he has to walk a fine line, but the statement "no conclusive evidence between football and brain trauma" is itself a conclusive statement of sorts, i would even say an asinine statement at this point in time. there's no denying the evolving reality of this issue anymore, and to try and do so in this context strikes an overly callous and lawyeristic tone. the panel in the video clip in the link lionking posted nailed it when they compared him to gary bettman, and said he should have made a more neutral statement along the lines of "it's in the hands of the medical community". i've seen it said elsewhere that orridge is becoming the bettman of the cfl. that's the last thing we need...
nhl may be doing better overall now... after long periods of sketchy expansion, leaner years, bitter lockouts, and in spite of bettman's rather villanous persona/perception in the public. it's become a bit of a joke now, where for instance he gets booed at the las vegas team unveiling yet actually seems to enjoy every minute of it, like it's part of his brand now. his control freak, tone deaf, i know better than you, my way or the highway, bean counter/lawyer mentality may have worked in the long run for the nhl... but i think the cfl needs a commish with a vastly different approach to handle its unique challeges and sensitivities
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

mountaincat wrote:
KnowItAll wrote:
nhl may be doing better overall now... after long periods of sketchy expansion, leaner years, bitter lockouts, and in spite of bettman's rather villanous persona/perception in the public. it's become a bit of a joke now, where for instance he gets booed at the las vegas team unveiling yet actually seems to enjoy every minute of it, like it's part of his brand now. his control freak, tone deaf, i know better than you, my way or the highway, bean counter/lawyer mentality may have worked in the long run for the nhl... but i think the cfl needs a commish with a vastly different approach to handle its unique challeges and sensitivities
all I know is that I want a cfl commish that will handle the cflpa as well as bettman has handled the nhlpa. I was on his side all the way.
mountaincat
Rookie

for some reason, i was staunchly on goodenow's side in the first lockout, probably just cause bettman was so detestable. i definitely didn't feel bad for the already overpayed nhl players. by the time it was all over a few years later, i had lost all interest in hockey. the fact they were so willing to screw the fans so royally not only once, but twice in a few years with lockouts was a huge turn off. and by then the size of the business and the entry level player contract made it all so unrelatable to someone like me who prefers the more grassroots cfl. i know for the most part cdn hockey fans returned in droves, but lockouts can have devastating effects on less financially secure operations, like the mlb lockout had on the montreal expos just as they were peaking on the field. if it came down to it, would you really want a lockout in the cfl? do you think it would recover/survive? do you think the cflpa is anywhere near as powerful as the nhlpa or a threat to the cfl's bottom line nowadays, that it needs a hardline commish to keep them in check?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Gary Bettman must be the original bobblhead. Every time he speaks he seems to be staring into space and bobbing his head.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

mountaincat wrote:for some reason, i was staunchly on goodenow's side in the first lockout, probably just cause bettman was so detestable. i definitely didn't feel bad for the already overpayed nhl players. by the time it was all over a few years later, i had lost all interest in hockey. the fact they were so willing to screw the fans so royally not only once, but twice in a few years with lockouts was a huge turn off. and by then the size of the business and the entry level player contract made it all so unrelatable to someone like me who prefers the more grassroots cfl. i know for the most part cdn hockey fans returned in droves, but lockouts can have devastating effects on less financially secure operations, like the mlb lockout had on the montreal expos just as they were peaking on the field. if it came down to it, would you really want a lockout in the cfl? do you think it would recover/survive? do you think the cflpa is anywhere near as powerful as the nhlpa or a threat to the cfl's bottom line nowadays, that it needs a hardline commish to keep them in check?
one thing I disagree with is the amount of hours they are allowed to practice, leading to sloppy play and way too many earned penalties. I want a commish that would do something about that. I think I would rather see the league go bust and these bums out of work than for it to continue as is.
Qman
Champion

KnowItAll wrote:
mountaincat wrote:for some reason, i was staunchly on goodenow's side in the first lockout, probably just cause bettman was so detestable. i definitely didn't feel bad for the already overpayed nhl players. by the time it was all over a few years later, i had lost all interest in hockey. the fact they were so willing to screw the fans so royally not only once, but twice in a few years with lockouts was a huge turn off. and by then the size of the business and the entry level player contract made it all so unrelatable to someone like me who prefers the more grassroots cfl. i know for the most part cdn hockey fans returned in droves, but lockouts can have devastating effects on less financially secure operations, like the mlb lockout had on the montreal expos just as they were peaking on the field. if it came down to it, would you really want a lockout in the cfl? do you think it would recover/survive? do you think the cflpa is anywhere near as powerful as the nhlpa or a threat to the cfl's bottom line nowadays, that it needs a hardline commish to keep them in check?
one thing I disagree with is the amount of hours they are allowed to practice, leading to sloppy play and way too many earned penalties. I want a commish that would do something about that. I think I would rather see the league go bust and these bums out of work than for it to continue as is.
Thats just team practice time thats regulated. But i agree with you.
Note that doesn't including individual film study, treatment/recover early in the week, lifting/training - your looking at 8-10 day if your committed especially tues,wed,thu. 10-14hours for QBs especially
CardiacKid
Legend

Apparently the Riders just fired their entire training staff. Not Jones' people? Scapegoats?

Reminds me very much of Jose Mourinho picking on the Chelsea FC team doctor prior to his departure from the team. The "Special One" was the EPL champion and when things starting going downhill the following season, it was everyone else's fault but his...symptomatic of a guy who didn't know how to handle adversity and quickly lost control of everyone and everything.

One can only hope this is symptomatic of a 2017 stink in Riderville Football ops. Well, I can hope :wink: