2016 CFL Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Anyone who followed the Lions in the 60's and 70's are acutely aware of the timekeeper in Regina. It's funny the the clock moves when the Riders are trailing and yet speeds up when they are holding onto a lead.
I remember that well. And the uneven natural turf at Taylor Field that seemed designed to slow down speedier visiting teams.
while making speedier riders faster :wink:
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

As I do once in awhile, I visit forums for other teams. RiderFans, Esksfans, CFLHorsemen, etc. I just had to go over to Riderfans to see the reaction to Rob Pedersen's article. All I have to say is this.

Most fans don't really care if the Riders are the most lucrative franchise in the league. One has nothing to do with the other (AKA cheating). The veiled consequences that some are alluding to are ridiculous. As someone put it, what are they going to do. Pack up their team and go home? Stop attending games when they are really the only game in town? Balderdash!

Then there is the "if Jones really thought he was doing some wrong, he would have been better at hiding it" theme. Again, who cares! Intentional or not doesn't relieve the Riders of the infraction. Hell, if that logic tracks, then every accidental face mask penalty should be declined because "there was no intention".

We can follow that up with the "CFL is run by a bunch of idiots. They are making the league look Mickey Mouse" crowd. What looks more Mickey Mouse? A league that lets a team flaunt the rules or a league that sanctions a team for breaking the rules? I would have to go with option 2. When you have 9 teams and only one seems to continually run afoul of league rules, you have to wonder why 8 teams can manage for the most part to keep it together and one can't. Are they less intelligent, capable, qualified to know the rules? I would say no, they are quite capable of knowing what is ok and not. The truth is probably closer to the Rider's having a Coach and GM who is prepared to look for any and all ways of circumventing the spirit and sportsmanship of the game. At what price success?
No, if anything looks Mickey Mouse, it is a team management that is willing to engage in practices which bring the league as a whole into disrepute. Does anyone really think the actions of the Patriots over the years have enhanced the NFL or that particular franchise?

I don't want to be seen as piling on and I don't really have the courage to post this at Riderfans although being banned for life would hardly be a punishment but c'mon people. Your team screwed up, you got your hands slapped. Have the good graces to accept that and move on. For the good of the game, put the spirit of the game first and not some misplaced notion of team loyalty. There is no place in the CFL for "success at any price" if that price is breaking the goodwill of game, the league and the fans.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Sir Purrcival wrote:As I do once in awhile, I visit forums for other teams. RiderFans, Esksfans, CFLHorsemen, etc. I just had to go over to Riderfans to see the reaction to Rob Pedersen's article. All I have to say is this.

Most fans don't really care if the Riders are the most lucrative franchise in the league. One has nothing to do with the other (AKA cheating). The veiled consequences that some are alluding to are ridiculous. As someone put it, what are they going to do. Pack up their team and go home? Stop attending games when they are really the only game in town? Balderdash!

Then there is the "if Jones really thought he was doing some wrong, he would have been better at hiding it" theme. Again, who cares! Intentional or not doesn't relieve the Riders of the infraction. Hell, if that logic tracks, then every accidental face mask penalty should be declined because "there was no intention".

We can follow that up with the "CFL is run by a bunch of idiots. They are making the league look Mickey Mouse" crowd. What looks more Mickey Mouse? A league that lets a team flaunt the rules or a league that sanctions a team for breaking the rules? I would have to go with option 2. When you have 9 teams and only one seems to continually run afoul of league rules, you have to wonder why 8 teams can manage for the most part to keep it together and one can't. Are they less intelligent, capable, qualified to know the rules? I would say no, they are quite capable of knowing what is ok and not. The truth is probably closer to the Rider's having a Coach and GM who is prepared to look for any and all ways of circumventing the spirit and sportsmanship of the game. At what price success?
No, if anything looks Mickey Mouse, it is a team management that is willing to engage in practices which bring the league as a whole into disrepute. Does anyone really think the actions of the Patriots over the years have enhanced the NFL or that particular franchise?

I don't want to be seen as piling on and I don't really have the courage to post this at Riderfans although being banned for life would hardly be a punishment but c'mon people. Your team screwed up, you got your hands slapped. Have the good graces to accept that and move on. For the good of the game, put the spirit of the game first and not some misplaced notion of team loyalty. There is no place in the CFL for "success at any price" if that price is breaking the goodwill of game, the league and the fans.
In fairness to Riderfans there are some excellent, reasonable, knowledgeable fans there ( I don't think any of them are posting in the Pederson thread) but they often are put down by the overzealous guys who wear green contact lenses underneath their green goggles.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

You are right of course. There were a few who presented a more balanced interpretation of the facts and I shouldn't lump them in with others. They just got drowned out by the majority.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
CardiacKid
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:As I do once in awhile, I visit forums for other teams. RiderFans, Esksfans, CFLHorsemen, etc. I just had to go over to Riderfans to see the reaction to Rob Pedersen's article. All I have to say is this.

I posted a couple of comments over at Pedersen's blog underneath his "Monday Morning Goalie" rant. I had two replies; the first came from Pedersen himself where he challenged me with a "why comment here?". I then went on to post a 2nd comment where I essentially stated that IMO the Riders have for generations now, enjoyed the goodwill of other CFL fans. But if the current Rider administration keeps doing this "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying" routine, that goodwill will evaporate and the reputation of the Riders and the great players of the past will be tarnished. I admonished Pedersen for his "its us against the world" routine by trying to state that circling the wagons is so unwarranted; no one wants to punish the Riders for simply being the Riders. My last comment got a positive reply from another poster. I will have to double-check and see if it got any other replies.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:

I posted a couple of comments over at Pedersen's blog underneath his "Monday Morning Goalie" rant. I had two replies; the first came from Pedersen himself where he challenged me with a "why comment here?". I then went on to post a 2nd comment where I essentially stated that IMO the Riders have for generations now, enjoyed the goodwill of other CFL fans. But if the current Rider administration keeps doing this "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying" routine, that goodwill will evaporate and the reputation of the Riders and the great players of the past will be tarnished. I admonished Pedersen for his "its us against the world" routine by trying to state that circling the wagons is so unwarranted; no one wants to punish the Riders for simply being the Riders. My last comment got a positive reply from another poster. I will have to double-check and see if it got any other replies.
I just read Pederson's blog and the comments. :tp: :tp:

I left some comments and concluded with a suggestion that the boycott the CFL crowd should rephrase it to "Lets punish the CFL financially for fining the Riders for cheating". I ended with suggesting that they should go further and have the Riders leave the CFL. That way the CFL would play with a 8 team league, leaving the Riders to play with themselves....they may not publish my comments. :wink:
CardiacKid
Legend

DanoT wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:

I just read Pederson's blog and the comments. :tp: :tp:

I left some comments and concluded with a suggestion that the boycott the CFL crowd should rephrase it to "Lets punish the CFL financially for fining the Riders for cheating". I ended with suggesting that they should go further and have the Riders leave the CFL. That way the CFL would play with a 8 team league, leaving the Riders to play with themselves....they may not publish my comments. :wink:
I was surprised Pedersen published my first comment; it was in fairness to him it was fairly snarky. But my second one I wrote with complete sincerity and in the attempt to make a fair point without reverting to Troll-y behaviour. I really just wanted to make a point from the heart as a CFL fan who enjoys watching the game...period. Regardless of who is playing and where they are in the standings.

Perhaps I can be regarded as naive and too old-school but if the fans, the media and other interested parties don't hold organizations who cheat or otherwise do not work/play on the "up and up" accountable who will?
Blitz
Team Captain

Vanstone, in the Regina Leader Post wrote the following:
Members of the local media — and this reporter, especially — should be feeling rather sheepish. We all knew that the Roughriders were working out extra players after practice. It happened in front of us every day, while web were waiting for Jones to conduct his daily scrum. One day, I even counted the number of players (at least 20) who were working out after practice. Was anything written? Was anything assigned? Were any questions asked? No. I could have written about it. I could have assigned somebody to write about it. I was a glittering 0-for-2, and guilty of an assumption that business was being conducted as per usual in the CFL.
Chris Jones is desperate to turn things around in Regina. But he is making huge mistakes from not playing enough National players in a game to breaking practice player rules. His confrontation with Dickenson only adds to the recipe of things not going well in Regina this season.

Jones is an excellent defensive coach. He has proved that time and again. He did an incredible job in Edmonton in short order. He brought almost his entire Grey Cup winning coaching staff to Regina, which should have been an advantage. He wanted to change the culture of his new team in Regina and personnel changes were needed. But he made too many changes while wearing too many hats for the situation.

Jones is a good football coach but there is more than just being a good coach in the role of Head Coach, Defensive Coordinator, General Manager, and Vice President of Football Operations.

I believe Jones will get things turned around in Regina if given time to do so. But if he wants to keep his job, he needs to have a good look at himself and make some attitude changes.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
DanoT
Hall of Famer

I agree Jones is a good coach and needs to be who he really is...and then dial it back a bit.
Based on some of his questionable moves including dumping the entire roster on D (not even keeping some former starters as back ups??), I think upper management has agreed to allow him to run the first 1/3 or 1/2 or maybe all of this season like a pre-season/training camp. Or maybe HE doesn't need permission and HE will run the team as HE pleases.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Eskimos leading the Argos 43-14 in the 3rd quarter.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:Eskimos leading the Argos 43-14 in the 3rd quarter.
Did the Argos make a huge mistake in trading away Mitchell Gale and keeping Kilgore?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The first three games of Week 9 have all been blowout wins for the visiting teams. Road teams are 21-12-1 this year. I don't know what to read into that trend but it may be a good thing that the Lions play their next two games on the road, where they're 3-1.
Alputt
Champion

Well that was a painful one for Argos fans for sure. They need Ray back badly.

I have been pretty vocal about the Lions attendance woes of late but by the look of things on TV BMO can't have been even 50% full...

Things seem to be looking a lot better down the road at Tim Hortons Field.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

A 53-7 Ham win at home over Ssk caps off a week of CFL blowouts that saw an average margin of victory of over 30pts.

TV ratings will not be stellar for this week, methinks. On top of the lack of drama in the product there was also the Tragically Hip's final concert being broadcast and webcast by the CBC (just heading into encore with New Orleans is Sinking as I type) being foremost in the minds of many this weekend.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
CardiacKid
Legend

sj-roc wrote:A 53-7 Ham win at home over Ssk caps off a week of CFL blowouts that saw an average margin of victory of over 30pts.

TV ratings will not be stellar for this week, methinks. On top of the lack of drama in the product there was also the Tragically Hip's final concert being broadcast and webcast by the CBC (just heading into encore with New Orleans is Sinking as I type) being foremost in the minds of many this weekend.
Rod Pedersen is still doing his toxic troll schtick, this time on Twitter. Today he tweeted and I quote, "The conspiracy continues". Looks like he tweeted this about 45 minutes into the Riders game.

Ho hum.