2016 CFL Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

If Katrina doesn't work out, Riders should spare no expenses and hire the former Iraqi Foreign Minister.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Riders fined again

http://www.tsn.ca/riders-again-fined-by ... n-1.546337
Well Rod Podge couldn't keep his inner Trump under wraps any longer. Rod Pedersen has put on his Big Boy Press Hat on and wore out his shoe leather as he hit the pavement, tapping his sources and putting his impeccable reputation, perhaps even his life, on the line to drop this Watergate-type bombshell via Twitter.

"Orridge low on lunch money. CFL flagged for Piling On. Who still thinks there's no conspiracy against the Riders?"

This last missive from the Riderville primo TCF (Trash Can Fire) is in response to the latest round of fines. Gonna have to read his "Monday Morning Goalie" to see if he catches those conspirators red-handed.

In other news, the Riders have hired former Trump national spokes-numpty...er, spokesperson Katrina Pierson to put the spin out there for the StubbleTrumpers.... :tease: :tease: :tease: :rules: :rules:
I don't think there is a conspiracy against the Riders. Take that Rod Pedersen. It is so ridiculous that the team that has always carried the "flagship franchise" and "Canada's Favourite Team" handles a little too seriously, has fallen on such hard times. This last fine seems a little chincy but maybe fans of that team should be asking why management seems to have stumbled so badly rather than deflecting responsibility for what are misfortunes of their own making.

Face it Rider fans, your team has been caught breaking the rules. You can whine all you want about being persecuted but in the end, you want it to stop, play by the rules. Simple really.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

When the Riders were having trouble with their 1st round draft pick holding out and his caustic agent being a dink there was a bit of a melt down at Riderfans. So a bunch of us Lions fans who occasionally post there got together via PM and decided not to pile on and we refrained from posting for a few weeks.

Fast forward to the Riders current flagrant in you face to the rest of the league illegal practices and I have no sympathy for Jones or his fans. Jones is a good coach but he seems to embrace the "Us against the world" scenario. Well I say, "Have at it rest of the world--Jones gets no sympathy from me."

I do want to thank Jones for a very entertaining week for those who follow the CFL and especially for helping to create a lot of fun for non Rider fans at riderfans.com.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Riderfans in the past have been slow and reluctant to ban posters but they are now starting to ban those trollers who are coming there and who in their view are piling on. So I am making sure I say Jones is a great coach (which I honestly believe) before I slag him for his recent and past transgressions.

They have now lightened up (moved on actually) from bashing Bo Mitchell and now have the knives out for the Jeffrey Porridge as they like to call him.

They are also jumping on the "We are the flagship franchise, generating the most cash for for the CFL so they shouldn't be targeting us" bandwagon. It is classic.

Of course at Rider fans they have lots of opposing Rider fan points of view and the bickering is getting epic. :popcorn: :popcorn:
CardiacKid
Legend

DanoT wrote:When the Riders were having trouble with their 1st round draft pick holding out and his caustic agent being a dink there was a bit of a melt down at Riderfans. So a bunch of us Lions fans who occasionally post there got together via PM and decided not to pile on and we refrained from posting for a few weeks.
DanoT, you a far better fan than me. I would be hard-pressed to resist poking the collective Riderfans beast. I should probably take your efforts as an example of how to behave online.

But man o man, it is so hard to not express some form of exasperation with how this has all gone down. Especially when the whole matter of the roster is entirely their own fault and no one else is to blame.

I went ahead, took a sedative and read Rod Pedersen's "Monday Morning Goalie". Pretty much par for the course with the ole Green Tinted Trash Can Fire's usual mix of homer-ism and misplaced aggression. The league hates the Riders and is tempting the Gods by daring to slap the PickleWhites with measly fines. But the Riders and Chris Jones can rest easy, Rod has double-downed on Jones and given him his continued endorsement/blessing (however he didn't say anything about when Jones needs to come and kiss his ring). All in all, bit of a rambling read with a funny mix of contradictions, aggression and tired boosterism.

Go ahead and take a look RodPedersen.com if you dare. Some nuggets...

"The CFL has a problem alright, but it definitely ain't us."
"The Roughriders could seriously look at action against Dunk and Mitchell if those cavalier accusations are proven to be false."
"To me, if Jones really thought these tryouts were breaking the rules, he would've held them somewhere else in the city and no one would have even known it was going on."
"I'm not going to go back into my monologue on how I'm sick of playing by the rules and losing while watching other teams break the rules and win."

And on it goes....sad, sad little man.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

I actually find Rod Pederson to be for the most part quite reasonable....when compared to some of the posters on Ridefans these days.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

"I'm not going to go back into my monologue on how I'm sick of playing by the rules and losing while watching other teams break the rules and win."
The irony is that the Riders are breaking the rules and still losing. That fact isn't lost on many Riderfans.
almo89
Legend

DanoT wrote:I actually find Rod Pederson to be for the most part quite reasonable....when compared to some of the posters on Ridefans these days.
Best time to visit riderfan forums for entertainment is during a rough season like they are having now. Rod Peterson is still too much of a homer for a media guy that isn't directly employed by the club. I prefer guys we have like Lowell.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:
DanoT wrote:I actually find Rod Pederson to be for the most part quite reasonable....when compared to some of the posters on Ridefans these days.
Best time to visit riderfan forums for entertainment is during a rough season like they are having now. Rod Peterson is still too much of a homer for a media guy that isn't directly employed by the club. I prefer guys we have like Lowell.
Pederson is the radio play by play guy so he has to call the game from the Riders point of view. As far as other media duties he still needs to make sure he doesn't ruffle feathers of the Riders (Jones' if he has feathers, they have fallen out by now) as well as green goggled Rider Nation.

I like to go to other fan sites prior to a game with the Lions to see their take on the up coming game. After a Lions victory its fun to return (and usually not post) just to find out how bad the refs where or other complaints.

As far as sports reporters: Lowell and Farh Han, none better but Dave Naylor is close.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:In other news, the Riders have hired former Trump national spokes-numpty...er, spokesperson Katrina Pierson to put the spin out there for the StubbleTrumpers.... :tease: :tease: :tease: :rules: :rules:
I came to the conclusion Trump doesn't have supporters or surrogates, only apologists and translators to tell the world that what he said wasn't what he said.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:They have now lightened up (moved on actually) from bashing Bo Mitchell and now have the knives out for the Jeffrey Porridge as they like to call him.

They are also jumping on the "We are the flagship franchise, generating the most cash for for the CFL so they shouldn't be targeting us" bandwagon. It is classic.

Of course at Rider fans they have lots of opposing Rider fan points of view and the bickering is getting epic. :popcorn: :popcorn:
Yup. That they were caught on the practice violations was BLM's fault. Still it should be overlooked because the Eskimos were doing worse stuff (in their opinion) 40 years ago. Losses are the fault of officials who call things that aren't penalties against the Riders and miss obvious calls against their opponents. Reviews are rigged. The league is out to get them because they are rolling in money and can afford the fines. Sidenote: It'll be interesting to see their next financial statements after a year under Jones. Wally being on the field is probably being blamed for losses even when they aren't playing BC. That or piped in noise and BC Place timekeepers. If those don't cover all the bases then the commissioner is to blame.

Never mind other fans spending time in there what always amuses me is how much fighting they do amongst themselves. Every issue must be split into black or white, there's never consideration for middle ground. Rider fans go scurrying into one corner or the other before they come out swinging.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:...Wally being on the field is probably being blamed for losses even when they aren't playing BC....
Oddly enough, I ran across an exchange between some of the Rider faithful and another CFL fan. The Rider supporters were upset about the latest fine involving the logo at midfield infraction and made a connection to Wally.

Their argument somehow dealt with the "fact" (their fact) that Wally is all the time walking out to midfield with his challenges or otherwise not staying on the sidelines like he should. They were of the opinion that we just needed to watch Wally, he "always" goes waaaaay out to the middle of the 55 yard line. So if the Riders get fined for being out there, shouldn't Wally get fined too?

That Wally has one powerful aura; just being at field level makes everything go topsy-turvy.
almo89
Legend

Hambone wrote:
DanoT wrote:They have now lightened up (moved on actually) from bashing Bo Mitchell and now have the knives out for the Jeffrey Porridge as they like to call him.

Yup. That they were caught on the practice violations was BLM's fault. Still it should be overlooked because the Eskimos were doing worse stuff (in their opinion) 40 years ago. Losses are the fault of officials who call things that aren't penalties against the Riders and miss obvious calls against their opponents. Reviews are rigged. The league is out to get them because they are rolling in money and can afford the fines. Sidenote: It'll be interesting to see their next financial statements after a year under Jones. Wally being on the field is probably being blamed for losses even when they aren't playing BC. That or piped in noise and BC Place timekeepers. If those don't cover all the bases then the commissioner is to blame.

Never mind other fans spending time in there what always amuses me is how much fighting they do amongst themselves. Every issue must be split into black or white, there's never consideration for middle ground. Rider fans go scurrying into one corner or the other before they come out swinging.
LOL that pretty much sums up their forums. They still can't let go of piped in noise at BC Place and time keepers there are always out to get them. I do appreciate though that their fans seem to watch all games from the CFL. There is guaranteed a game day thread for every game even if it doesn't involve the riders. Of course their own game day threads have a ton of traffic.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rider fans shouldn't complain about the "piped in" music Anyone who followed the Lions in the 60's and 70's are acutely aware of the timekeeper in Regina. It's funny the the clock moves when the Riders are trailing and yet speeds up when they are holding onto a lead.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Anyone who followed the Lions in the 60's and 70's are acutely aware of the timekeeper in Regina. It's funny the the clock moves when the Riders are trailing and yet speeds up when they are holding onto a lead.
I remember that well. And the uneven natural turf at Taylor Field that seemed designed to slow down speedier visiting teams.