2016 CFL Thread

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The 2016 CFL season officially started with an exhibition game between the Montreal Alouettes and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Bombers won 36-13. Vernon Adams played part of the 3rd quarter and threw an interception which was deflected at the line of scrimmage. It marked the first time NFL officials working a CFL game.
Rammer
Team Captain

On first impressions Vernon Adams, Lions may have stolen the Als first pick. He showed his height disadvantage on the INT, having the ball tipped at the LOS. More passes were off the mark or tipped. As for the game, Montreal looked like they have some work to do still.
Entertainment value = an all time low
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

It was nice to see Jim Popp giving the Canadian quarterbacks an opportunity to get some live action.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

It seemed like a big drop off in QB play for the Als once Kevin Glenn was out of the game.
squishy35
Legend

DanoT wrote:It seemed like a big drop off in QB play for the Als once Kevin Glenn was out of the game.

Agree with this.

The Bombers have some nice receiving talent and I was impressed with Flanders' effort at RB after Harris was on the sidelines. The Bombers' players looked very loose and relaxed. Maybe the addition of Lapo as OC can make a significant difference. I was not too impressed with the LB corps of either team. Montreal's secondary looked weak as well.
David
Team Captain

squishy35 wrote: Montreal's secondary looked weak as well.
So did their offensive line. 3 sacks given up in the first half alone....not many holes for their running backs either.

Way too early to write Adams off. He wasn't given much to work with and the INT wasn't necessarily his fault (ball was tipped at the line). Still, I am hoping he's Timmy Chang 2.0 and we end up with the #1 overall next year.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

Rammer wrote:On first impressions Vernon Adams, Lions may have stolen the Als first pick. He showed his height disadvantage on the INT, having the ball tipped at the LOS. More passes were off the mark or tipped. As for the game, Montreal looked like they have some work to do still.
I thought he had an astoundingly inept performance and looked completely out of his league last night.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

squishy35 wrote:
DanoT wrote:It seemed like a big drop off in QB play for the Als once Kevin Glenn was out of the game.

Agree with this.

The Bombers have some nice receiving talent and I was impressed with Flanders' effort at RB after Harris was on the sidelines. The Bombers' players looked very loose and relaxed. Maybe the addition of Lapo as OC can make a significant difference. I was not too impressed with the LB corps of either team. Montreal's secondary looked weak as well.
I have to credit Rod Black for pointing out to us dumb viewers that Flanders is not related to Ned. Oh that Rod!
CardiacKid
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
squishy35 wrote:

Agree with this.

I have to credit Rod Black for pointing out to us dumb viewers that Flanders is not related to Ned. Oh that Rod!
There's a reason why the Rod Man has his own t-shirt!
rodblacks-male_design.png
BTW does he have his "stache-tastic" back?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lionsfan65
Starter

Just to weigh in on Vernon Adams, he really didn't play all that well, although the interception wasn't all his fault, every other pass he threw was either off the mark, or badly thrown. Although it is still too early to say, I think the lions won that trade, especially if that pick ends up being first overall.
maxlion
Legend

Lionsfan65 wrote:Just to weigh in on Vernon Adams, he really didn't play all that well, although the interception wasn't all his fault, every other pass he threw was either off the mark, or badly thrown. Although it is still too early to say, I think the lions won that trade, especially if that pick ends up being first overall.
One of the challenges for Montreal is that, by all accounts, Glenn, Bridge and Cato are all way ahead of Adams in terms of CFL readiness. Is MTL going to expose Adams on the PR, carry 4 QBs all year long, or cut a more ready player to keep Adams?

Overall, Montreal is looking at a long year ahead, in my opinion. Glenn is a third-rate QB at this stage in his career and, based on their play last night, there are really no bright spots at all on the team. I can easily see them only winning 2-3 games this year. On-field struggles could lead to serious off-field (financial) issues. I hope I'm wrong, as one team's financial turmoil can affect the whole league, but I see Montreal as being in a vulnerable position right now.

As for Winnipeg, they have improved talent and are due for a change in fortunes, but need to get some solid QBing. Willy doesn't have to be an MVP, but he has to stay healthy. If he can, Winnipeg should be a playoff team.
Lionsfan65
Starter

maxlion wrote:One of the challenges for Montreal is that, by all accounts, Glenn, Bridge and Cato are all way ahead of Adams in terms of CFL readiness. Is MTL going to expose Adams on the PR, carry 4 QBs all year long, or cut a more ready player to keep Adams?

Overall, Montreal is looking at a long year ahead, in my opinion. Glenn is a third-rate QB at this stage in his career and, based on their play last night, there are really no bright spots at all on the team. I can easily see them only winning 2-3 games this year. On-field struggles could lead to serious off-field (financial) issues. I hope I'm wrong, as one team's financial turmoil can affect the whole league, but I see Montreal as being in a vulnerable position right now.

As for Winnipeg, they have improved talent and are due for a change in fortunes, but need to get some solid QBing. Willy doesn't have to be an MVP, but he has to stay healthy. If he can, Winnipeg should be a playoff team.
Unfortunately for Glenn, his ship has sailed, he was a good QB five years ago but only average at best now, however he still is the best qb on Montreal's roster at the moment. This is the result of their failure to develop another qb after Calvillo, and when combined with an aging roster gives me little reason to believe that montreal will even make the playoffs this year.

As for Winnipeg, Willy is not an elite qb, however, similar to Glenn, he is the best QB on their roster, and if he stays healthy should give them a decent shot at winning. :2cents:

Looking foward to seeing how the Lions do Saturday against the riders. :popcorn:
Qman
Champion

Glenn looked good last night ... given his was OL is terrible. Hope he survives the season

Cato .. ok
Bridge ... meh
Adams ... brutal
CardiacKid
Legend

Just watching Ottawa vs. Winnipeg and even though it is the RedBlack's first pre-season game, they are looking very sharp. They don't appear to have skipped a beat with Elizondo in at OC replacing the now departed Maas; they still play that fast, up-tempo game on offence and overall their offensive philosophy looks the same. Their timing looks great and if not for some drops by Williams and Jackson they would be really laying the lumber to the Bombers. With Trevor Harris at the helm, not so much but Burris looks great.
Andrew Harris was getting the majority of the touches for the Bombers in the first half, mostly as the check down out of the back field. A handful of carries and the same sort of results as we saw with the Lions; not much territory gained in between the tackles. But get him in space and far better results.
Perhaps more telling for the Bombers is the shaky performance of their offensive line...more of the same sort of woe for the Bombers this year? Will Drew Willy make it through the season?
David
Team Captain

CardiacKid wrote:Andrew Harris was getting the majority of the touches for the Bombers in the first half, mostly as the check down out of the back field. A handful of carries and the same sort of results as we saw with the Lions; not much territory gained in between the tackles. But get him in space and far better results.
Yup. I know it's a small sample size, but I am seeing the same struggles running the ball that he had in BC. In 2 games for the Bombers, Harris has carried the ball 6 times for 13 yards. Hand-off, one step forward, side step, side step, splat.

Still very dangerous catching the ball in space though.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar