A New Podcast for Lions fans!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JaboVancouver
Rookie

Still going! More on the Lions after they clawed out a win over Hamilton, plus some Whitecaps and Olympics.

Find us on Facebook at "Just a Bit Outside - The Premier Vancouver Sports Podcast"

justabitoutside.podbean.com
Just A Bit Outside: The Premier Vancouver Sports Podcast
footballtom
Rookie

I agree with a lot of there Points BC Place is too big even the way it is configured . as I said all along the BC government should have knocked it down and built a permanent outdoor stadium like the one in Winnipeg . you could still have the big concerts , the international soccer matches , etc. I know a lot of lions fans that do not go to games because of the size of the stadium . even if the lower bowl is full it still seems too big.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

footballtom wrote:I agree with a lot of there Points BC Place is too big even the way it is configured . as I said all along the BC government should have knocked it down and built a permanent outdoor stadium like the one in Winnipeg . you could still have the big concerts , the international soccer matches , etc. I know a lot of lions fans that do not go to games because of the size of the stadium . even if the lower bowl is full it still seems too big.
Empire Field didn't work, despite a 27,500-seat configuration and easy access by car from most of the Lower Mainland. You can't win but I think Vancouverites overall prefer indoor sports events except on the warmest summer days.
JaboVancouver
Rookie

Still going! More talk about the Lions continued domination on the field, plus a little fantasy football talk! Check us out!

David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
footballtom wrote:I agree with a lot of there Points BC Place is too big even the way it is configured . as I said all along the BC government should have knocked it down and built a permanent outdoor stadium like the one in Winnipeg . you could still have the big concerts , the international soccer matches , etc. I know a lot of lions fans that do not go to games because of the size of the stadium . even if the lower bowl is full it still seems too big.
Empire Field didn't work, despite a 27,500-seat configuration and easy access by car from most of the Lower Mainland. You can't win but I think Vancouverites overall prefer indoor sports events except on the warmest summer days.
I wouldn't say it "didn't work." In retrospect, I'd say it was moderately successful given what it was - a temporary facility that played on "nostalgia." The biggest drawback to the whole experience was the team's dreadful on-field performance. They had a 5-10 record at Empire and frankly, weren't rather boring to watch. There were no plumbed bathrooms, tight corridors (especially on the east side), and limited transit options. Still the club drew an average of 24,763 in their first season there in 2010 - 90% of capacity, and 24,327 in their half-season there in 2011 - 88% capacity.

I did enjoy my time there with fantastic sightlines, incredible sunset views, fun-filled tailgate parties on the PNE parking lot, and fans packed in nice and tight - creating an enjoyable outdoor football atmosphere. Give me that experience from June - September and BC Place in October - November and I'd be happy.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
JaboVancouver
Rookie

Great show this week, as we kick it off by discussing that terrible blown fumble call against the Bombers. Should the league own up to the mistake? Is a bad call like that a window into bigger issues facing the league? Have a listen and let us know what you think.

justabitoutside.podbean.com/e/episode-18-fumbles-and-three-finger-brown/
JaboVancouver
Rookie

More talk about the Lions after the turnover fest with Winnipeg, and if Jennings should be on a shorter leash. Plus we touch on the tire fire season currently happening in Montreal.

justabitoutside.podbean.com/e/episode-19-no-way-jose/
JaboVancouver
Rookie

We're on iTunes now! Search Just A Bit Outside to find us!

Good bounce back win against the Eskies, as we discuss the ongoing evolution and learning curve of Jennings. We also touch on the special teams debacle from the Seahawks/Cardinals game, as well as some questionable coaching decisions from a couple east coast teams.

justabitoutside.podbean.com/e/episode-20-special-teams-and-public-urination/
JaboVancouver
Rookie

Back with more! Find us on iTunes and Facebook under 'Just A Bit Outside'!

Even though it was against the Riders, it was a solid all around win by the Leos, with one glaring exception. We discuss the future of Richie Leone and the impact of a returning Paul McCallum, as well as the farewell of Taylor Field and the Stamps missing out on history. There's some other non-football stuff in there too ;)

justabitoutside.podbean.com/e/episode-23-return-of-the-maclin-feat-the-tub-of-goo/
Huge Talent
Starter

David wrote:I gave it a whirl the other day. My thoughts....

I give the CFL guy props. He knew his stuff and has some sound/reasonable arguments. And really, the anti-CFL guy didn't completely rip the product on the field, more just the lack of star power and quirkiness of the league.

My question is, why do we constantly have to choose? Why must this be an either/or scenario? Coke vs Pepsi. Can't football fans enjoy both? Actually, "all" (as I love NCAA and CIS as well). Obviously, with the money thrown around down there because the country is 10x the size and a world power, it's going to attract top end talent and receive mega-hype. Duh. It's unfair to hold our domestic league up to that comparison. :wag:

Just take the CFL for what it is. A top-notch brand of football with some unreal (yet in most cases, very approachable) athletes, playing in a country of 35 million people. Constant comparisons to another country's league with different rules and a far greater pay scale are absurd.

I second this. I'm an NFL fan, and a 49ers fan more specifically. But how many niners games do i get to attend? none. When they come to Seattle tix cost more than a whole season of lions. So the CFL lets me actually go to games, locally. The game is entertaining and the guys are big, fast, and athletic. No it's not NFL calibre overall, but that doesn't mean it's not worthwhile. Further, the CFL is our game and has a tremendous tradition and history. I actually kinda like that the lions aren't popular though, it makes me feel kinda hipster supporting the team!
JaboVancouver
Rookie

Look for us on iTunes and Facebook under 'Just A Bit Outside'!

Finished on a high note, albeit against a low calibre opponent. We reflect on the Lions chances, as they get ready for the West Semi-Final. Lots of positives this season, and we can't say enough good things about the team. Now we just have to show up and support them!

justabitoutside.podbean.com/e/episode-22-how-to-trump-intelligence/
JaboVancouver
Rookie

19,176. That's how many people were at BC Place to witness a playoff classic between the Lions and Bombers. We have to ask what is driving the poor attendance for the Lions, as well as other local teams. Where did all the Lions fans go over the past 10 years? Seriously, please tell us.

Find us on iTunes and Facebook under Just a Bit Outside!

justabitoutside.podbean.com/e/episode-23-paging-bc-lions-fans/
JaboVancouver
Rookie

Find us on iTunes and Facebook by searching 'Just A Bit Outside'!

This week we cover the end of the Lions season in Calgary, plus a little look at Grey Cup and the dominance of the Stampeders. Questions now for the Lions in the off-season, and wetalk about the biggest issues they are facing, including potential moves to address them.

justabitoutside.podbean.com/e/episode-24-going-out-on-a-limb/
David
Team Captain

JaboVancouver wrote:19,176. That's how many people were at BC Place to witness a playoff classic between the Lions and Bombers. We have to ask what is driving the poor attendance for the Lions, as well as other local teams. Where did all the Lions fans go over the past 10 years? Seriously, please tell us.
The answer to this is varied and nuanced. The casual observer (including many in the media) will look at that number and conclude: "the Lions aren't popular" (or worse). But I don't believe this to be the case (as reflected in the monster TV ratings).

I am far from an apologist for the club, but here are some factors:

1) The team only had a week to sell the game. Could they have put more fans in seats with clever Marketing and creative promotions? Yes! But clearly their view on things was that an entertaining 12-6 team playing in a home playoff game should command more $ and interest than a regular season game, and that discounting or offering promotions cheapens the brand.

2) Since the club doesn't include the playoff game in their season ticket package like virtually every other CFL team does (with the money refunded or credited if the club doesn't make it), they were virtually starting from 'scratch' after the Leos eliminated Winnipeg. And since season ticket holders were given a few extra days to decide, the best seats were blocked to non-season ticket holders. They showed on the Ticketmaster map as "sold" when in actuality, many hadn't been sold at that point. I wonder how many folks looked and saw mostly just end-zone and 10 yard line seats available and said, "to hell with it."

3) 19,176 with a capacity of 27,500 is far different than 19,176 with 53,000 available. I don't think a lot of people realize this. It's not like fans were occupying every 3rd or 4th seat. On the contrary. They were mostly jam-packed in between the goal lines. It was the end zones (particularly the north end zone) where they had trouble selling the game. This tells me that there's a group of hard-core supporters that will pay a premium to watch a Lions game. But they're not able to lure the more casual fan to pay a not-so-insignificant fee to watch from the end zone. This is a disconnect they're going to have to reconcile. Their pricing strategy is out of whack with what many perceive to be the actual value.

4) When faced with the choice of end zone or nothing, many will choose nothing. If the whole stadium were available, they most certainly would have sold more than 19,176 tickets. Many fans prefer the Upper Bowl seats from a mid-field vantage point which are not available (in the interest of atmosphere and ambiance).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

It is actually a reflection of the same problem that movie theatres are having. When faced with the prospect of watching a movie at 4k at home or on something a little less crisp at the theatre, many will choose to stay home. With football between the 30's is gravy but after that, your viewing experience begins to drop until you get to the end zones. At some point, watching it HD on a big screen makes much more sense than laying out money for parking, tickets and gas. It's not going to get better, it is only going to get harder to convince people to part with their hard earned cash when they can sit in the lazyboy at home, watch it on a HighDef 65" TV with better beer and cheaper snacks. I've gotten so I don't really enjoy the live experience so much. I can do it a few times a season but for the dollars, the challenge of getting good seats in an area that I prefer just doesn't seem worth it. I also used to bring friends with me and now they don't want to come because it is just too much hassle. My friend is mobility impaired and she has to use a wheel chair to attend games. Something that she doesn't need to do the rest of the time but the seating, the stairs, the ramps all combine to be just too much.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.