Roughies loose $4.3 MILLION!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Some shocking news out of Regina regarding the financial state of the Roughriders from last year. Also maybe surprising but maybe not considering the upheaval from last year.

The Riders ran a $4.3 million deficit last year. Needless to say, big $$$$$$.

Now folks who are of the glass is half-full variety are pointing to the fact the Riders had to pay out Taman and Chamblin as well as paying Durant half a million to throw a handful of passes last year. A new stadium this year will generate more $ from seat sales as well as other streams of money for the coffers.

But that is still a pretty alarming sum. I wonder if Rod "The Riders are Canada's Team" Pederson is prepared to work pro-bono for the Pickle-Whites to save them some filthy lucre.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I haven't seen the 2015-16 Rider Annual Report yet but according to comments over on RF.com the actually had an operating profit of around $843K. The reason for the loss apparently was due to an amortization of the 2013 Grey Cup Legacy Fund.

Excerpt from the RF.com thread on the loss.

Source: Murray McCormick, page 1 of this morning's Leader-Post.

According to the article: "... the Riders would not have been in a deficit situation if not for the amortization of the 2013 Grey Cup Legacy Fund. A total of $15 million was spent on renovations to Mosaic Stadium in 2012 to cover the installation of end-zone seats, luxury boxes and two new video boards leading up to the 2013 Grey Cup game..."
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Qman
Champion

if you read the report, they wrote off the $15million they spent on the stadium expansion 4 years ago. Most of the new seats and stands are being donated to facilities across the province.

one number which surprised me is they are sitting on $29M of cash right now.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

I blame the watermelon helmets, personally.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

so is that like the opposite of tight?