Roughriders pick up a stud LB

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

South Pender
Legend

This just in. Riders add LB Jonathan Newsome, former 5th-round pick of the Colts who registered 6.5 sacks in 2014. Had some off-field issues, but can play. Probably not long for the CFL if he plays up to form in 2016. Maybe Murray McCormick knew something when he tweeted about the Riders' linebackers! :wink:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ng-to-cfl/
CardiacKid
Legend

He seems to have his sights squarely and firmly fixed on the NFL in 2017....kinda mercenary.
David
Team Captain

As a result of the arrest, Newsome faced a suspension to start the 2016 season if he signed with an NFL team this season.

I thought the league/Cohon instituted a policy of honouring NFL suspensions (i.e. Ray Rice et al), or is this different because he was cut by the Colts and never officially suspended first?

Yes, it looks to be a very good pick-up for the Riders (why am I not surprised that it's Jones signing a guy who's had off-field issues down south?), but he wouldn't be the first former NFL starter to not make an impact up here should he flame out.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

CardiacKid wrote:He seems to have his sights squarely and firmly fixed on the NFL in 2017....kinda mercenary.
I think that is the writer of the article that talked about a return to the NFL in 2017 not the player. Besides he would likely face the same suspension in the NFL in 2017 as he is trying to avoid now.
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
As a result of the arrest, Newsome faced a suspension to start the 2016 season if he signed with an NFL team this season.

I thought the league/Cohon instituted a policy of honouring NFL suspensions (i.e. Ray Rice et al), or is this different because he was cut by the Colts and never officially suspended first?

Yes, it looks to be a very good pick-up for the Riders (why am I not surprised that it's Jones signing a guy who's had off-field issues down south?), but he wouldn't be the first former NFL starter to not make an impact up here should he flame out.

There was talk of not taking problem players under suspension. That was brought up shortly after the Argos picked up Ricky Williams as IR. It may have an exemption as you suggest in that he isn't technically suspended, but Riders already have had their off field player issues and should want to stay clear of any potential issues.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Rammer wrote:
David wrote:

There was talk of not taking problem players under suspension. That was brought up shortly after the Argos picked up Ricky Williams as IR. It may have an exemption as you suggest in that he isn't technically suspended, but Riders already have had their off field player issues and should want to stay clear of any potential issues.
Wasn't he about to suspended by the NFL for marijuana use, a substance which is not banned by the CFL and expected to be legal in Canada within a year?
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

He only got a 1 game suspension in the NFL and plead guilty to a misdemeanour offence. Not exactly a "Ray Rice" situation. I'm not so sure a return to the NFL would be inevitable because if he is that good there are 30 other teams that would at least give him a look see. But if he can tear it up in the CFL he might get a bit more attention down south.