2016 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:Playoff ticket prices are set, ranging from $38 to $159. It has probably hurt the club that the home playoff game has not been locked up. I haven't even ordered my three regular seats for the playoffs, although I have an invoice from the club for $38 per seat. The same end-zone seats are priced at $47 for the public. I will likely buy more tickets once I find out how many friends and family members want to go with me but the price is already higher than I would normally pay for playoff tickets.
I ordered my playoff seat when the email from the club came out. I knew I'd be renewing STs anyways so a credit could be applied there if a game didn't happen. Not a big deal. I thought though that there was a deadline of mid-October to do so but could be wrong. Maybe there was a deadline for preferred pricing? I see the map is up on Ticketmaster but not a lot of tickets "available" yet. I suspect this week they will be reaching out to ST holders who haven't yet claimed their playoff seats to give them one last chance before releasing all seats.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

Will they open the upper bowl? BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Ballistic Bob wrote:Will they open the upper bowl? BB
Not unless they sell out the lower bowl first. I'd say the only way it happens is if once they know there will be a game that tickets will literally be flying out the door at a pace that they know by the Wednesday that they will easily sell out the lower bowl. They'd probably have to sell upwards of 8000 tickets in the first 3 days after the season finale. I don't see that happening.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Didn't secure my seats until last night after how Saturday's games unfolded. Really didn't think they had much of a chance after being swept by Bombers. Likely many felt the same so I'm sure the Lions first priority will be going after the season ticket holders over the next few days.

Ideally, the Bombers lose in Ottawa Friday night and the Lions will know for sure they are hosting the semi-final and can promote it like crazy during the Riders game. Otherwise they will have their work cut out for them. Last playoff game here in 2014 they clinched with two games to spare. Have to go back to 2005 when they didn't know their fate until the final regular season game was played and they backed their way into first but still had 2 weeks to sell it.

Then there is the fact it's the semi-final game. Would help the gate if it's Edmonton and not Winnipeg if the regular season attendance meant anything.

Six days makes it awfully tough and it's likely not even starting from the usual season ticket base level as some won't purchase tickets and it doesn't include contra season tickets . Would love to see a $99 playoff family pack for 4 end zone seats but the current price range is higher than the regular season so I won't be holding my breath to see any sort of deals to help fill the lower bowl.

David Pratt and others have been saying all season how important it is for the Lions to host a playoff game. The perception of a poor crowd is the last thing the club needs.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

There will be lots of tickets available if the Lions host a playoff game. What's the urgency ? :wink:
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:Six days makes it awfully tough and it's likely not even starting from the usual season ticket base level as some won't purchase tickets and it doesn't include contra season tickets . Would love to see a $99 playoff family pack for 4 end zone seats but the current price range is higher than the regular season so I won't be holding my breath to see any sort of deals to help fill the lower bowl.
Given how rarely it's happened hosting the WSF is almost uncharted territory for the Lions. They've hosted the WSF only twice in their 63 year history. The first time was in 1977 and the last time was 30 years ago in 1986. I believe in both cases hosting a playoff game wasn't determined until the final week. With the fans going all gaga over Jerry & The Cardiacs attendance through the final 3 regular season games averaged 31000. For the WSF 27105 came out on a wet Saturday afternoon. In 1986 40381 came out to see BC edge out the Bombers. In the season finale the weekend before they had 54723 show up to see BC play those same Bombers in a game to determine which of the two would host the WSF.
Huge Talent
Starter

Of course the WSF is scheduled the same time as a Canucks home game (1:30pm). So now I have to choose (hopefully). I suppose its mostly beyond the team's control, but surely they could have lobbied for a 4pm start. Then you'd get many from the Nucks game, coming over nicely warmed up and buzzed. Instead, the Lions have to compete for a scarce number of Vancouver sports fans. Given its a playoff game, i'll choose lions - but that's because i'm a STH, not just a casual fan. I now have to sell my canucks tix, as would any other full or partial STH of the nucks.. This is a hassle that many won't bother doing. This will cost them at the gate.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Huge Talent wrote:Of course the WSF is scheduled the same time as a Canucks home game (1:30pm). So now I have to choose (hopefully). I suppose its mostly beyond the team's control, but surely they could have lobbied for a 4pm start. Then you'd get many from the Nucks game, coming over nicely warmed up and buzzed. Instead, the Lions have to compete for a scarce number of Vancouver sports fans. Given its a playoff game, i'll choose lions - but that's because i'm a STH, not just a casual fan. I now have to sell my canucks tix, as would any other full or partial STH of the nucks.. This is a hassle that many won't bother doing. This will cost them at the gate.
I seem to remember in the distant past when there were big but not sold out crowds, then Lions would allow anyone with a Canucks ticket stub into BC Place for free. So once the Canucks game was over BC Place would fill up. Maybe the Lions should open the upper bowl if they host the WSF and then paper it with Canucks fans for the game finish.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Why would the Canucks schedule a home game at 1:30 p.m. on a Sunday in November opposite the CFL playoffs? The playoff games are held at the same time each year, and they're the most watched games of the year outside of the Grey Cup. Even if the Lions aren't playing at home, they're bound to outdraw the Canucks on TV.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:Why would the Canucks schedule a home game at 1:30 p.m. on a Sunday in November opposite the CFL playoffs? The playoff games are held at the same time each year, and they're the most watched games of the year outside of the Grey Cup. Even if the Lions aren't playing at home, they're bound to outdraw the Canucks on TV.
Maybe the Canucks schedule maker believed all of the CFL pundits who predicted that the Lions would not be a playoff team. :wink:
Qman
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:Why would the Canucks schedule a home game at 1:30 p.m. on a Sunday in November opposite the CFL playoffs? The playoff games are held at the same time each year, and they're the most watched games of the year outside of the Grey Cup. Even if the Lions aren't playing at home, they're bound to outdraw the Canucks on TV.
WTF .. why are the canucks scheduling afternoon sunday games. their normal sunday start time is 6pm. Afternoon NHL hockey is uncanadian.
Dusty
Champion

BC Lions have announced an "Event" on Facebook..... the WSF at BC Place on November 13 at 1:30.... Either the Leo's are banking on playing at home or maybe they are gauging interest in fans watching an away game on the big screen. I can't imagine that Sask has already conceded the Nov.5 game to give us a home WSF date.... Hmmm.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:BC Lions have announced an "Event" on Facebook..... the WSF at BC Place on November 13 at 1:30.... Either the Leo's are banking on playing at home or maybe they are gauging interest in fans watching an away game on the big screen. I can't imagine that Sask has already conceded the Nov.5 game to give us a home WSF date.... Hmmm.
Events can always be cancelled. Besides, it's probably more real than most of the crap posted on Facebook.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Qman wrote:
WTF .. why are the canucks scheduling afternoon sunday games. their normal sunday start time is 6pm. Afternoon NHL hockey is uncanadian.

What the hell? When was the last time the Canucks even played a home game on a A Sunday at 1 pm? Just bizarre. In the teeth of football on both sides of the border. Almost smells of Rogers wanting that start time to counter all the football they are up against.

At least no conflict with the Seahawks. Prime time Sunday game at New England.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote: What the hell? When was the last time the Canucks even played a home game on a A Sunday at 1 pm? Just bizarre. In the teeth of football on both sides of the border. Almost smells of Rogers wanting that start time to counter all the football they are up against.
The Dallas Stars are the visitors and the game will be on Fox Sports Southwest directly opposite a Dallas Cowboys game in Pittsburgh. This is a lose-lose schedule for both hockey teams.