2016 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Found some Shreddies at Thrifty's with Durant and Josh Bell on the box, however it was right beside some non CFL Shreddies that were on sale, so the CFL boxes will be on the shelf for a while. I don't eat cereal so the only CFL box that I might buy would be the one with Bighill on the box.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

BCLionsDen tweeted a pic of all six boxes sitting together in a row. It's too large to embed here so you'll have to see it in the tweet itself:

The Bighill-on-Reilly box is at the far left.

With twelve total players on the boxes, the three teams that get double run are Cgy, Edm and Mtl, although Mtl's two players are on the defensive side.

It seems the three teams — BC, Tor and Mtl, coincidentally in the three largest markets — with perhaps the cloudiest QB picture going into 2016 were the ones who got "snubbed" at that position, prob not too surprising if they wanted to have all images be in a QB + def opponent format.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
jcalhoun
Starter

Hey all,

So the girlfriend just suggested we head downtown to see the fireworks in August. Ugh. That's really not my cup of tea, but the way she pitched it to me was interesting: the West Coast Express has laid on a special train that day, which makes it relatively easy to get there and back. Train tickets for two are cheaper than parking. No hassle.

The West Coast Express is a commuter train that begins in Mission, with stops in Port Haney, Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows, Port Coquitlam and Port Moody, before zipping on to Waterfront Station. Total trip time is 75 minutes from Mission to Vancouver. Trains have between five and ten passenger cars, with a capacity of 144 seats per car.

Obviously, the WCE is limited by what other rail traffic is on the go, but if I were the Lions, I'd be working on getting Saturday night games and seeing if it were possible to lay a ten car train on, leaving Mission in time to make kickoff.

It seems a lot of people complain about the logistics of getting to the stadium; getting the West Coast Express to run for weekend games would be a great step for those outside the traditional (ie, Skytrain) transit routes.

Cheers,

James
footballtom
Rookie

Like I said there are no excuses for not going it is that people are know to lazy
SammyGreene
Team Captain

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

So the girlfriend just suggested we head downtown to see the fireworks in August. Ugh. That's really not my cup of tea, but the way she pitched it to me was interesting: the West Coast Express has laid on a special train that day, which makes it relatively easy to get there and back. Train tickets for two are cheaper than parking. No hassle.

The West Coast Express is a commuter train that begins in Mission, with stops in Port Haney, Maple Ridge, Pitt Meadows, Port Coquitlam and Port Moody, before zipping on to Waterfront Station. Total trip time is 75 minutes from Mission to Vancouver. Trains have between five and ten passenger cars, with a capacity of 144 seats per car.

Obviously, the WCE is limited by what other rail traffic is on the go, but if I were the Lions, I'd be working on getting Saturday night games and seeing if it were possible to lay a ten car train on, leaving Mission in time to make kickoff.

It seems a lot of people complain about the logistics of getting to the stadium; getting the West Coast Express to run for weekend games would be a great step for those outside the traditional (ie, Skytrain) transit routes.

Cheers,

James
This is a great point James. Just getting into Vancouver for games can be massive chore. The more stress free the better especially in this no blackout HDTV era. Skulsky joins Matt Sekeres tomorrow at 11 am for presidents week on TSN 1040. This idea should be brought forward either as a call in or via Sekeres twitter feed.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:

Cheers,

James
This is a great point James. Just getting into Vancouver for games can be massive chore. The more stress free the better especially in this no blackout HDTV era. Skulsky joins Matt Sekeres tomorrow at 11 am for presidents week on TSN 1040. This idea should be brought forward either as a call in or via Sekeres twitter feed.
A special Football Train sounds like a great idea and the Lions should consider a subsidized Train & Ticket package.
Alputt
Champion

Cheers,

James
I think that's a great idea! A "Football Special". Would only work for weekend games as all of the trains would be waiting downtown to pick up eastbound commuters on weekdays before they could make it in time for the game, however weekends is when demand would make it worthwhile anyway... And maybe even a bus shuttle from Abbotsford/Langley to Mission/Maple Ridge to make it a viable option for fans living south of the river...
LakeLions
Rookie

That'll cost the Lions a ton of money that they simply don't have. The fireworks bring something like 400,000 people downtown. An extra West Coast Express makes a ton of sense for that. It probably doesn't for a team getting 20k fans to a game. I think we'll have to make do with extra skytrain cars
Alputt
Champion

LakeLions wrote:That'll cost the Lions a ton of money that they simply don't have. The fireworks bring something like 400,000 people downtown. An extra West Coast Express makes a ton of sense for that. It probably doesn't for a team getting 20k fans to a game. I think we'll have to make do with extra skytrain cars
I don't think the Lions could or should shoulder this cost on their own... But if a sponsorship could be achieved from Translink or the operators of the West Coast Express I think it could be a win-win. Should taxpayer dollars be directed towards the Lions? Debatable. That new roof sure cost a few...
Alputt
Champion

I admit I have not thought costing through, but I am a bit of a nerd I love trains and I love my BC Lions, seems a match made in heaven to me. And if it helps those in eastern suburbs come to games and negate "getting to Vancouver" as a problem argument? Sweet!
jcalhoun
Starter

LakeLions wrote:That'll cost the Lions a ton of money that they simply don't have. The fireworks bring something like 400,000 people downtown. An extra West Coast Express makes a ton of sense for that. It probably doesn't for a team getting 20k fans to a game. I think we'll have to make do with extra skytrain cars
It wouldn't cost any more for a Lions game than it would for fireworks. A ten car train can carry just less than 1500 people. If it makes sense for the fireworks (and is full) and can be promoted for the Lions so it runs at capacity, it would seem to make sense. The big problem is what other traffic is on the lines when you'd need to run it.

Cheers,

James
jcalhoun
Starter

Alputt wrote:I think that's a great idea! A "Football Special". Would only work for weekend games as all of the trains would be waiting downtown to pick up eastbound commuters on weekdays before they could make it in time for the game, however weekends is when demand would make it worthwhile anyway... And maybe even a bus shuttle from Abbotsford/Langley to Mission/Maple Ridge to make it a viable option for fans living south of the river...
I honestly hadn't thought of the Abbotsford & Langley crowd, but now that you mention it, a Lions West Coast Express running on a Saturday evening would probably draw quite strongly from both communities b/c it's so easy (relatively) to get to the train stations from south of the river. And it's free parking. And the time it takes for the train to return from Vancouver is enough that you don't need to panic over the decision to have a second beer.

But the best thing about this (outside of getting people to the stadium) would be the optics. First, the commute in would be part of your game experience. Fans in jerseys, all looking forward to the game. And then the train pulls into Waterfront Station, and 750 people (if it's a five car train) to 1500 people (if it's a ten) move en masse down to the stadium. A sea of orange, moving through the downtown.

If the Lions managed this right they'd put some cheerleaders at each of the stations, and cheer people onto the train. Have one or two promotions people handing out little footballs to kids. But what do I know?

Cheers,

James
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Speaking of the Abbotsford and Langley crowd (myself included), there was an interesting discussion Thursday on TSN 1040's Presidents Week series with Ron Toigo of the Vancouver Giants. A listener suggested that the Lions suffered a decline in season ticket sales after tolls were introduced on the Port Mann Bridge and predicted the Giants would suffer the same fate with their upcoming move from the Pacific Coliseum to the Langley Events Centre. Toigo predicted the move would have the opposite effect. He said the Giants saw a steep decline in season ticket sales after the bridge tolls were introduced, making it more costly for fans in Surrey, Langley and Valley to get into Vancouver. He said the Giants expect to sell 1,000 more season tickets this year as a result of the move to Langley.

Dennis Skulsky will get his turn on Presidents Week on Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. I hope sales and marketing are discussed.
aklawitter
All Star

It was near impossible to make a 7:00 kickoff from the Valley before the new Port Mann was constructed (people forget it wasn't just a new bridge). The toll is nothing compared to the bumper-to-bumper from 104th
Honour Dewalt
Champion

Was that David from here asking Dennis about the shades of orange? So glad it was asked, and I was pleasantly surprised by his admission that it is an issue and they are working on it. Surprised Sekeres was oblivious to it though.

I get The owner doesn't like black, and those road unis have really grown on me, but I still think a little black trim wouldn't hurt, even just on the sock like the orange on the home socks, and a subtle outline on the helmet logo so we can actually see it. I think he was fair in his answers though.