2016 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

footballtom
Rookie

SammyGreene wrote:An outstanding performance in an otherwise embarrassing night for the franchise with that dismal crowd. If you had an owner that actually demanded accountability then Richie Leone would be giving the boot to Dennis Skulsky and George Chayka at the end of the season. Entire marketing plan and ticket pricing needs to be completely blown up and it starts with them.

Yes finally someone says get them out of here out the door except for the team and coaches all staff and marketing out the door along with the owner and president.
CardiacKid
Legend

If David Braley can own 2 teams, why not Bob Young? If we are stuck with an absentee owner that lives in Hamilton, I would rather it be him. At least he seems to actually understand what it takes to get a team reconnected with its fans.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Pretty sad state of affairs with the Lions. Like other posters have said, the so called "marketing" department is a joke. There is no marketing on television (that I can see). With the Canucks and the Bells freefalling one would think the Lions would be out in the community drumming support to win back some fans. This has not happened.
SSure
prospect

I love the BC Lions but they have some problems. The stadium was built in the mid 80's when there was far less entertainment for young people. $5 end zone tickets? Who cares - it's still boring to sit back there. But I wouldn't say that back in the 80s. Close them and open all the good seats in the upper deck. Drop the prices to where the average guy can bring his kids / grandkids and not have to starve for the next two weeks. Work to get the insulting food and parking prices lowered. Bundle some offers with the good seat tickets. Free food or free parking or a starbucks gift card or something like that. It has become so annoying to go there and be treated like a sucker, like I won't notice I'm being gouged. I just stopped going.
David
Team Captain

I would blow up the current ticket pricing structure and start anew (kind of like what Safeway/Sobey's grocery chain has done by re-pricing thousands of their skus). Since this is about as likely to happen as Ryan Lochte being accepted into Mensa, I've got a program for 2016. There are 4 remaining home games. For the next 3 weeks (through September 30) I would heavily promote a season ticket renewal campaign:

"Renew your season tickets by 9/30/16, and receive 4 FREE tickets to any remaining 2016 B.C. Lions home game(s)"

These can be applied any way an account chooses. For example, 4 tickets to the Ottawa game on 10/1, 2 tickets to the Winnipeg game on 10/14 and 2 tickets to the Saskatchewan game on 10/29, or 1 ticket for each of the remaining home games this year etc. Promote this heavily via mass email to each season ticket holder, a mailed letter to each season ticket holder, and lots of Social Media.

I believe the Lions should organically average 22,000 for each of their remaining home games (without this promotion). So let's assume that the Lions have 7,000 unique accounts (some may have 2 seats, a business may have 6 seats, or someone may just have 1 seat - each would be eligible for 4 tickets to be given to friends, clients, customers etc). 7,000 x 4 = a max of 28,000 tickets to be distributed. Let's assume even a modest 50% renewal from this promotion, that's 14,000 tickets or an average of 3,500 extra bums in the seats per game. Now we're talking 25,500 fans per game at BC Place. This would potentially fill up much of the Lower Bowl and create much needed energy and excitement for the all-important stretch drive. Moreover, it puts the spotlight back on the team and less media focus on low attendance!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Alputt
Champion

I am now a proud season ticket holder in the "Touchdown Corner" for $40 odd a game... BUT I loved sitting up in the upper bowl at around the 20 yard line in the "gridiron deck" for about $30 per game buying singles. Still went to every game, and I often recruited casual friends to come who would consider $30 a fair value and we could usually get 4,5,6 seats in a row or over a couple rows in the same section on short notice.

I am happy to support the team with seasons, but it is near impossible to get friends to come now as our seats are fixed and it's tough to get nearby seats in our section,with an arguably poorer view, and at $45. Not to mention a similar field view now costs $65 or even $83...

I have no easy answers for hard questions regarding attendance, but the Lions office doesn't seem to either. Sigh.

This is sort of a Saturday night rant, but they need to price better. I understand that BC Place was unwilling to staff the upper bowl due to concession and cleaning costs, and many hardcores sniff at the upper bowl. But it was a scene and an affordable fun time and now its gone... As are many of the youthful casuals it attracted.
Alputt
Champion

Still willing to cede that the upper bowl might have been untenable, or a "loss leader", and looked bad on the all important TSN. However the tarping off "Whitecaps" experiment has resulted in even lower ticket sales, and can at this point objectively be seen as a failure.

I think a sold out lower bowl would be rocking, but it ain't happening. Consider the atmosphere at the Banjo Bowl today... That's the CFL experience I want for my Lions, and my friends. Wisdom of the board, how do we get there? Reduce prices? Increase promotion? Is Vancouver and BC too expensive and demographically challenged? (I think this is surmountable with the right plan) Hmmmm....
Alputt
Champion

I think that although Braley should be credited for saving the team, new local ownership is needed. We do have a formidable software development community in Vancouver, even though we keep trying to kill it off with cost of living. Someone dynamic like EA or Relic Entertainment with deep pockets and an understanding of modern marketing would be a god send. Hell even the hated TELUS if they hadn't been dissed on naming rights...

Well that's probably too much to ask. Frankly it has been an uphill battle being a CFL fan my whole life and I expect it to remain so. Keep fighting the good fight! Roar!
SammyGreene
Team Captain

This is the most frustrating and disappointing thing when the lack of fans in the stands becomes as big (or even bigger in this case) than the on field performance — to the point where your head coach/GM and star players are being asked about it. They are living up to their end of the bargain. I'm sure there are many others as well but are working against flawed marketing and ticket pricing plans that are out of touch with their casual fan base.

David's idea makes a lot sense as they will be unveiling their 2017 season ticket campaign typically by the end of the month. My fear is it will be more of the same with a modest increase across the board. You only have to look in BC Place and see the huge gaps of empty seats between the 20 and 30 yard lines (especially on the visitors side) to realize the old gold section needs to be brought back. I would jump on that in a heartbreat. Our old seats sit unsold (in fact our entire row is) basically every game since we moved to the 55-yard-line for the same price.

Perception is everything right now. The media sees all the empty seats, as do the fans at home that use to come to the games. Another idea to paper part of the house is providing complimentary tickets to the 10,000 or so season ticket holders they have lost in the last 8 years or so. Let them see this exciting product live again for 1 game. Surely, they must still be in the ticket system data base.

Ed Willes column:
Product is there, but not the fans; The Lions have second-best record in the CFL, but are averaging 20,194 fans a game
The Province
Sun Sep 11 2016

Ed Willes

The numbers from the B.C. Lions 38-27 win over the Montreal Alouettes Friday night tell a compelling story.

For starters, the Leos produced 593 yards in total offence, including a robust 252 yards on the ground. Individually, running back Jeremiah Johnson ran for a CFL-season high 159 yards on just 16 carries while scoring three touchdowns. Quarterback Jonathon Jennings went 24-of-33 for 341 yards and return man Chris Rainey accounted for 180 all-purpose yards.

So this was a night to celebrate for the Lions, a night when they dominated virtually every facet of the game. It was also a night when they ran their record to 8-3, the second-best mark in the CFL, keeping them in contact with the first-place Calgary Stampeders in the West.

But there was one other number from this game which told a story for the Lions, a story that isn't quite as happy as those gaudy statistical lines and the sexy won-loss record. A crowd of 18,107 took in the game, the lowest of the Wally Buono-era in Vancouver, and that dismal attendance is becoming as much a part of the Lions season as Jennings' passing numbers.

"I don't want to be critical," Buono said. "For a year, maybe more, we disappointed (the fans). You earn the respect and we have to continue to earn their respect. We're playing exciting football, but it takes 10 years to build a fan base and you can lose it very quickly.

"The organization is going to be patient. We're going to work hard to get one season-ticket holder at a time."

That, at least, would be a start. But it would be naive to think the Lions can fix this problem quickly and easily.

Declining attendance has been a storyline for each of the last five Lions seasons, but this year, it feels as if the CFL team has jumped the shark. After five home games,
they're averaging a paltry 20,194 fans per game, which would be their lowest total since the forgettable 1998 campaign, David Braley's second full season as the club's owner. Since then, there have been moments when the relationship between the Lions and its fan base was strained.

But it never felt broken. Until now.

"This is Vancouver," Solomon Elimimian said. "We all understand what's going on. I'm sure it will take care of itself."

Translation: This is a city of front-runners and loyalty can last as long as the next losing streak. Just ask the Canucks and the Whitecaps.

"We're in a different day and age," Elimimian continued. "The TV numbers are good. I guess people would rather be relaxing in a comfortable chair watching a big-screen TV."

The man has a point. In reciting the reasons for the Lions limp attendance, a familiar litany of excuses are given. There's the cost of the tickets at B.C. Place, the presence of the Seattle Seahawks down the road and the Lions in-game presentation.

But that TV monster is an interesting one.

The league's numbers remain strong. Over the Labour Day weekend in Canada, the fifth-, sixth-and seventh-highest rated sports shows were CFL games. The top four, not surprisingly, were Blue Jays games, but the fourth-ranked show was a Jays-Yankees game which drew an average audience of 926,000. The fifth-ranked Argos-Tiger Cats game drew an average audience of 902,000.

So there are CFL fans. The next question is how do you get them from their man caves to the stadiums, and that's where things get tricky. In 2010, the year they spent in exile at Empire Field, the Lions still averaged more than 24,000 fans a game playing in a facility that looked as if it was constructed from a Lego set.

Now, they just wish they could back to that level, but those salad days of 2011 when they drew 36,510 a game to the newly renovated Dome or even 2008 when they averaged 34,083 seem so far away, even when they aren't.

While we're spreading cheery news, here's something else to consider: If the Lions can't regain their lost drawing power with this team, they really do have a problem.

Jennings is the real deal; a young, dynamic franchise quarterback, and he has weapons all over the offence.

Rainey might be the most exciting player in the league. Bryan Burnham is an emerging star.

The defence has to withstand the loss of three starters in the secondary, but up front, they play fast and they play mean.

The Lions also have four home games between Oct. 1 and Nov. 5 and, by then, might have some real momentum on their side.

That's, at least, what the players were saying after the win over the Alouettes, and maybe there's something to that.

But it still doesn't explain why an 8-3 team draws just over 18,000 to a Friday night game after Labour Day.

"It's not happening as fast as we would like," Ryan Phillips said. "But once the weather changes we'll try to give (the fans) something to look forward to."

Hopefully, they'll be watching.
CardiacKid
Legend

Alputt wrote:I think that although Braley should be credited for saving the team, new local ownership is needed. We do have a formidable software development community in Vancouver, even though we keep trying to kill it off with cost of living. Someone dynamic like EA or Relic Entertainment with deep pockets and an understanding of modern marketing would be a god send. Hell even the hated TELUS if they hadn't been dissed on naming rights...

Well that's probably too much to ask. Frankly it has been an uphill battle being a CFL fan my whole life and I expect it to remain so. Keep fighting the good fight! Roar!
CardiacKid↓
Re: 2016 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions
Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:3

I totally agree Allput. Thanks to David Braley to helping the team and to a large degree, the CFL. But I don't believe his past approach is going to work in the present day Vancouver. So unless he is going to learn a ton of new tricks ASAP, new local ownership is needed.
Some folks blame his team of Skulsky and Chayka but Braley is the man who signs the cheques and IMO the issues and challenges faced by the team today go beyond the capabilities of one man to fix. Even the Sainted Bobby Ackles would need extra sets of hands, learn a few more languages and grow more eyes to help the team emerge from the doldrums.
I strongly believe it will take a consortium of various LOCAL businesses that understand how Vancouver is different today than it was a generation and more ago. Businesses that represent the downtown, the tourist sector, province wide retail, the tech sector, etc. Businesses that are recognized as having a Vancouver/BC identity would be awesome; Electronic Arts, Hoot Suite, London Drugs, etc. Businesses with a particular expertise such as Hoot Suite and social media, London Drugs and a province-wide retail identity. Even cultural organizations to assist with getting new Canadians to attend games.
Of course my list can be regarded as somewhat scattershot (writing this as I put off my weekend chores) but my point is a new style of ownership is needed to match the changes seen in Vancouver over the reign of Braley.
When Bob Young bought the TiCats, he was very vocal about how the team had to change its attitude towards the people of Hamilton. If the team kept trying to maintain its traditional identity of being the team of the steel mill and the guy who clocked in and out of his shift, the team would die. He bluntly said that Hamilton didn't exist anymore and the team needed to change its attitude, it's identity and its approach to appeal to who was the modern Hamiltonite. He started with a 5 Year Plan and made that public so existing fans and potential fans could rally behind his efforts.
All I hear from Braley is he doesn't plan on selling because his boys like watching football. A more terrible reason for NOT selling I couldn't imagine in a million years. If the junior Braleys like football so much, go buy a sports bar or get an executive box at Tim Hortons Field.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I really fail to see how local ownership is going to change the Lions fortune.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:I really fail to see how local ownership is going to change the Lions fortune.
I don't either. What is needed is a new marketing approach in the era of home HD screens and man caves. The Lions have to make home games a hot-ticket event that is worth the sacrifice of getting there. That includes doing anything to get butts in the seats, because seeing empty seats just drives more fans away.

One suggestion for the appearance of the Washington Huskies marching band is to give free or discounted tickets to high school band members at the Lower Mainland schools.
CardiacKid
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:I really fail to see how local ownership is going to change the Lions fortune.
I don't either. What is needed is a new marketing approach in the era of home HD screens and man caves. The lions have to make home games a hot-ticket event that is worth the sacrifice of getting there. That includes doing anything to get butts in the seats, because seeing empty seats just drives more fans away.

One suggestion for the appearance of the Washington Huskies marching band is to give free or discounted tickets to high school band members at the Lower Mainland schools.
I believe local is important because i think fans will react more approvingly to a message of "come to a Lion's game" if they see it backed up by a company or organization they have a connection to. Maybe it's a company whose product or service they use and like, maybe friends, family or acquaintances work for them or perhaps it's a firm who performs good work in the community.

You market to the people who live in your community. If you haven't got a clue who makes up your community because you live several time zones away or because your network of contacts, colleagues and peers lives and work elsewhere, you run the risk of being out of touch.

The players are playing lights out and appearing in public, on TV and at community events. But it obviously isn't enough to illicit fan response. The owner(s) need to have a public identity and be able to "pound the pavement" so to speak and get in Vancouverites faces and tell them about the great team they have and how much fun it is to attend games.

Local owners can forge short-term and long term partnerships with other like minded businesses via being active in Vancouver Board of Trade and other organizations. Not only was Bobby Ackles a talented and savvy guy, he was local! He knew people and people knew Bobby. For example, if the team wanted to improve it's social media presence, why not go to a resident firm like Hoot Suite that knows what it is doing? Why not actually have a company like Hoot Suite actually on board and invested in the team?

Calgary Stampeders are locally owned, same with the Eskimoes and Riders who are community-owned. Ottawa RedBlacks and Hamilton Tiger Cats have owners with ties to their respective cities. Those last two teams are tracking how many sell outs in a row they have enjoyed; doesn't that sound nice. Toronto is now locally owned by a sports empire with a ton of resources at its finger tips.

The Lions are not benefitting from a distant, laisezz-faire relationship with a owner who rarely gets in contact with his western concerns ( by his own admission ) and whose major-domo went and parked himself in purgatory by saying he was leaving the team.

Points are being made that it makes no difference whether the owner(s) are local; they are fighting apathy in the local fan who embraces their high-def flat screen. But that is the crux of my point; it is going to take a group of owners, each with something to help improve the team's profile across the broad spectrum of Vancouver but to also get front and centre and show some passion for the team.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Owners usually do not "pound the pavement" drumming up support for the team. They hire people who's job is to run the team including marketing. Dennis Skulsky and George Chayka are local people. Look where the Lions are attendance wise. The attendance has been plummeting year after year under Skulsky's leadership.
footballtom
Rookie

CardiacKid wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:
I don't either. What is needed is a new marketing approach in the era of home HD screens and man caves. The lions have to make home games a hot-ticket event that is worth the sacrifice of getting there. That includes doing anything to get butts in the seats, because seeing empty seats just drives more fans away.

I believe local is important because i think fans will react more approvingly to a message of "come to a Lion's game" if they see it backed up by a company or organization they have a connection to. Maybe it's a company whose product or service they use and like, maybe friends, family or acquaintances work for them or perhaps it's a firm who performs good work in the community.

You market to the people who live in your community. If you haven't got a clue who makes up your community because you live several time zones away or because your network of contacts, colleagues and peers lives and work elsewhere, you run the risk of being out of touch.

The players are playing lights out and appearing in public, on TV and at community events. But it obviously isn't enough to illicit fan response. The owner(s) need to have a public identity and be able to "pound the pavement" so to speak and get in Vancouverites faces and tell them about the great team they have and how much fun it is to attend games.

Excellent Points send your quote to the Lions PLEASE. This is exactly what they need.

Local owners can forge short-term and long term partnerships with other like minded businesses via being active in Vancouver Board of Trade and other organizations. Not only was Bobby Ackles a talented and savvy guy, he was local! He knew people and people knew Bobby. For example, if the team wanted to improve it's social media presence, why not go to a resident firm like Hoot Suite that knows what it is doing? Why not actually have a company like Hoot Suite actually on board and invested in the team?

Calgary Stampeders are locally owned, same with the Eskimoes and Riders who are community-owned. Ottawa RedBlacks and Hamilton Tiger Cats have owners with ties to their respective cities. Those last two teams are tracking how many sell outs in a row they have enjoyed; doesn't that sound nice. Toronto is now locally owned by a sports empire with a ton of resources at its finger tips.

The Lions are not benefitting from a distant, laisezz-faire relationship with a owner who rarely gets in contact with his western concerns ( by his own admission ) and whose major-domo went and parked himself in purgatory by saying he was leaving the team.

Points are being made that it makes no difference whether the owner(s) are local; they are fighting apathy in the local fan who embraces their high-def flat screen. But that is the crux of my point; it is going to take a group of owners, each with something to help improve the team's profile across the broad spectrum of Vancouver but to also get front and centre and show some passion for the team.