2016 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Alputt
Champion

So I just came home from the game, first with season tickets! Crowd was smallish but pre-season... The kids promo seemed to be a hit as section 207 was overrun with children who each seemed to get 2 mini footballs and pictures with Leo.

Pre-game at Original Joes, a new addition to the sponsored pubs, was packed with supporters and we suspect Bighill's family at the next table.

They were blowing out Reebok gear and the team stores were zoos. I picked up a "coaches hoodie" and my wife a track jacket for $50. Regular price for both items would approach $200.

New jerseys look nice up close, I will end up owning one by seasons end but a few tweaks needed. (Tramp Stamp is unfortunately over the butt of many fans)

Nice to see Robson Street lined with Lions banners even if with the chess piece logo...

New "DJ Trouble" obviously recruited for the younger demo, I reserve judgement, better than the annoying radio personality from the last couple seasons.

I noticed way less TELUS ads and no ball etc. Different sponsors.
David
Team Captain

Yes, some observations:

* Much more focus on the youngsters. The merchandising booth in my section has been replaced by an interactive football 'play pen' for kiddies. There's a life sized tarp of Manny with a hole where kids are to try and aim the mini football. :thup:

* The local DJ on the field is a welcome addition - mixing, scratching and cutting up records. Not all the time that it becomes a distraction, but enough that it's a refreshing vibe and an appealing addition for people in their 20s and 30s. :thup:

* London Drugs appears to be a new sponsor. Their logo is flashed on the jumbotron after every touchdown.

* The flags that those young guys charge around the field with have changed. They now come out of the tunnel with the regular logo, the lion astride a football (50s and 60s), and the new chess piece (or polar bear) logo which hasn't grown on me one millimeter since its intro.

* The Tim Hortons cup game has been replaced on the jumbotron by a fill-in-the-blanks game of football clues that's painfully easy to start, but then becomes uber hard by the end with only like, 3 letters appearing on a 4 word clue. Naturally they're feeding contestants answers 'cause the regular schmoe - who didn't exactly look like a Mensa candidate - got the answer in seconds.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:It appears that the 3-year deal with Coast Capital Savings as a premier partner has expired (2013-2015) and has not been renewed.

The good news is that it's one less jersey patch. :roar:

I count three teams without a 2nd jersey sponsor (or premier sponsor) — the Lions, Argos and Riders. I take it the latter is holding out for a king's ransom or just doesn't care about the additional revenue. Can't say the same about the first two which is also telling where the league should be spending a lot of its attention on.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Kubota Tractors do some sponsorship with CFL but I'm not sure if it is with a team or the league. But they do have the Lions colours.
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
* The flags that those young guys charge around the field with have changed. They now come out of the tunnel with the regular logo, the lion astride a football (50s and 60s), and the new chess piece (or polar bear) logo which hasn't grown on me one millimeter since its intro.

Are they bigger?

The old ones looked like they'd been designed by David St. Hubbins.
CardiacKid
Legend

Lions4ever wrote:
David wrote:

Are they bigger?

The old ones looked like they'd been designed by David St. Hubbins.
Big bottom....big bottom....talk about bum cakes, our O-Line's got 'em.
jcalhoun
Starter

Hey all,

I'm really hoping that the $5 kids promotion is going to be extended for the remainder of the season, but I think the Lions should be sly about unrolling it if they do continue. Their social media team should be shooting video for tweets and Facebook and whatnot like crazy during the Calgary game, bombarding us with images of kids having fun in the stands.

Skulsky should then get on the radio mid-week, and say the promotion was so successful the team was floored by the public response, and thus, they are going to extend the $5 offer for the Toronto game. He can get some good free publicity out of radio/print, and he should make a point of setting up a TSN interview during the game in Hamilton in week 2 (when all the fans back at home are watching). If he's asked why not have a $5 ticket all year, he can simply claim logistics, and ramble on about making sure the Lions handle this right. "We set up sponsors for one game, and now need to work on the rest of them; there needs to be lots of popcorn, mini-footballs, etc, and they're working out those details."

You've then got two away games and bye week. During that time I'd get Skulsky on the radio, asking fans what they thought of it, and what the Lions could do better/provide for younger fans. "What would make it more fun for your kid?" etc. Ask 'em.

And then you announce you're doing it for either the rest of the summer (Montreal & Calgary) or the rest of the year.

This could be a major coup for the Lions if they handle it right.

Cheers,

James
aklawitter
All Star

it would be smart of them to run the $5 promotion during the tough-drawing summer months
footballtom
Rookie

jcalhoun wrote:Hey all,

I'm really hoping that the $5 kids promotion is going to be extended for the remainder of the season, but I think the Lions should be sly about unrolling it if they do continue. Their social media team should be shooting video for tweets and Facebook and whatnot like crazy during the Calgary game, bombarding us with images of kids having fun in the stands.

Skulsky should then get on the radio mid-week, and say the promotion was so successful the team was floored by the public response, and thus, they are going to extend the $5 offer for the Toronto game. He can get some good free publicity out of radio/print, and he should make a point of setting up a TSN interview during the game in Hamilton in week 2 (when all the fans back at home are watching). If he's asked why not have a $5 ticket all year, he can simply claim logistics, and ramble on about making sure the Lions handle this right. "We set up sponsors for one game, and now need to work on the rest of them; there needs to be lots of popcorn, mini-footballs, etc, and they're working out those details."

You've then got two away games and bye week. During that time I'd get Skulsky on the radio, asking fans what they thought of it, and what the Lions could do better/provide for younger fans. "What would make it more fun for your kid?" etc. Ask 'em.

And then you announce you're doing it for either the rest of the summer (Montreal & Calgary) or the rest of the year.

Seems like they are selling a lot of those $5.00 tickets but look at how many of the more expensive tickets available . Do what Bob ackles did at Empire Stadium have a complete section in the en zones for $5.00 tickets , this should have been done years ago.

This could be a major coup for the Lions if they handle it right.

Cheers,

James
David
Team Captain

jcalhoun wrote:I'm really hoping that the $5 kids promotion is going to be extended for the remainder of the season, but I think the Lions should be sly about unrolling it if they do continue. Their social media team should be shooting video for tweets and Facebook and whatnot like crazy during the Calgary game, bombarding us with images of kids having fun in the stands.

Skulsky should then get on the radio mid-week, and say the promotion was so successful the team was floored by the public response,
and thus, they are going to extend the $5 offer for the Toronto game.
The problem is they're not. Farhan Lalji was on TSN1040 this afternoon. BMac asked what it will take for the public to connect with this team again, he said a 4-1 start might raise some eyebrows - everything has to be big out of the gate. Win now. They don't have the luxury in this market of getting better as they go along.

Then BMac asked about attendance for Saturday and Farhan said he'd spoken with Skulsky and said, "it doesn't look good." When Bmac pressed for a number, he started to say, then held off and said "in fairness, I'd better not say" (guess it was a private conversation and not for public consumption).

Great. So we have a potentially soft promotion of a $5 ticket promo and now they've just devalued the perception of their tickets. :bang: I am not against the idea, but it needed to be handled with more panache. A big press conference after training camp with kids on stage or a local school present for an afternoon practice session (photo op), or a large ad in the papers, TV ads. Something! Instead, it was a soft announce 3 weeks ago (too early) and it's just kind of rotted on the vine. There's no momentum behind it and it seems to me that there's very little awareness for it, aside from diehards and season ticket holders.

DH :wink:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Rammer
Team Captain

David wrote:
jcalhoun wrote:I'm really hoping that the $5 kids promotion is going to be extended for the remainder of the season, but I think the Lions should be sly about unrolling it if they do continue. Their social media team should be shooting video for tweets and Facebook and whatnot like crazy during the Calgary game, bombarding us with images of kids having fun in the stands.

Skulsky should then get on the radio mid-week, and say the promotion was so successful the team was floored by the public response,
The problem is they're not. Farhan Lalji was on TSN1040 this afternoon. BMac asked what it will take for the public to connect with this team again, he said a 4-1 start might raise some eyebrows - everything has to be big out of the gate. Win now. They don't have the luxury in this market of getting better as they go along.

Then BMac asked about attendance for Saturday and Farhan said he'd spoken with Skulsky and said, "it doesn't look good." When Bmac pressed for a number, he started to say, then held off and said "in fairness, I'd better not say" (guess it was a private conversation and not for public consumption).

Great. So we have a potentially soft promotion of a $5 ticket promo and now they've just devalued the perception of their tickets. :bang: I am not against the idea, but it needed to be handled with more panache. A big press conference after training camp with kids on stage or a local school present for an afternoon practice session (photo op), or a large ad in the papers, TV ads. Something! Instead, it was a soft announce 3 weeks ago (too early) and it's just kind of rotted on the vine. There's no momentum behind it and it seems to me that there's very little awareness for it, aside from diehards and season ticket holders.

We're you aware the Lions gave away thousands of free ticket vouchers in the early 2000's through the schools. Buy an adult ticket and you received a child's ticket for the voucher. I like this better as the seats were with the family where they choose to sit. They were good through the summer for the first 4 home games (preseason as well) which enabled them to feel invested enough with the team to purchase the final games at full pricing..
Entertainment value = an all time low
CardiacKid
Legend

Not really a marketing and promotion thought but sort of related to the notion of the Leo's profile and newsworthiness.....haven't heard any further news as to the Leo's being on the market. I expect Braley's recent health problems probably slowed any momentum on that front. But I was curious if there has been any skuttlebutt about who is amongst the suitors?
I am ever hopeful it will be a company/person with a strong background in marketing, cross promotion, etc. You know, some one who can instantly conjure up crowds in excess of 30,000...35,000...40,000!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions' declining interest and attendance did not suddenly happened overnight. Rebuilding the fan base is not going to happen overnight. The $5.00 ticket for kids is a good start. Why only one game ? They should have for the entire season. For some reason the Lions can't grasp the concept that the kids are the futures.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Rammer wrote:
David wrote:

We're you aware the Lions gave away thousands of free ticket vouchers in the early 2000's through the schools. Buy an adult ticket and you received a child's ticket for the voucher. I like this better as the seats were with the family where they choose to sit. They were good through the summer for the first 4 home games (preseason as well) which enabled them to feel invested enough with the team to purchase the final games at full pricing..
This was the route to go again Rammer. At least for the summer games. How can your charge children $5 one game and expect them to pay full price the rest of the way?

You can get heavily discounted Whitecaps tickets on stubhub and even lower bowl Canucks seats were available for around $60 for the last 20 games are so. This market is not used to paying full price for anything right now. Especially with every game available on HD tv too. The Lions/CFL bashers will have a field day if they can't break 20,000 Saturday with $5 seats.
footballtom
Rookie

Why would the lions play there home opener on the weekend of the NHL draft when you know that is what 1040 is going to be talking about . They should have been on the road and Skulsky should have known this.