2016 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Dennis Skulsky was just on TSN1040 radio with Tom Mayenknecht ("The Sports Market" show which focuses on the business side of sports). Looks like they've finally listened to what many of us have been calling (shouting?) for, for some time: getting youth to attend games with affordable tickets. It seems like a no-brainer (they typically bring their parents to games, after all), but this concept seems to have escaped the Lions' front office and marketing departments - or they just didn't see it as a need, until now.

* For the home opener on Saturday June 25, they're going to have a $5 ticket available for all kids 12 and under. That's 5 bucks, all in!

* They're also introducing "Kid's Club" (presumably a youth section?) sponsored by Springfree Trampolines.

Skulsky didn't share, nor was he asked for a season ticket update, other than there's been lots on the go. He said they "closed last year and wanted to do better with attendance in the stands" (well D'uh!) to build off the strong radio, TV, digital, and Social Media numbers they have.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
CardiacKid
Legend

Has anyone heard if there is going to be a Fanfest in Vancouver? I have seen the one for Kamloops listed but unless my brain still hasn't recovered from learning the Roughies have the best linebacking corps in the league ( :tp: :tp: :tp: :tp: see thread "Regina sports journalist tries to break Internet" for background), I haven't seen or heard of any mention of one. If there is going to be one, they should start advertising it PDQ.
Bosco
Team Captain

Speaking of marketing...or lack of marketing ...........

With Fanfest scheduled for Saturday evening June 4, why hasn't someone associated with the Lions thought of promoting a hotel package for anyone thinking of attending from the Lower Mainland? Or...perhaps a fan bus package that would include transportation and hotel? Both of these packages would be easy marketing wins for both the Lions, as well as the city of Kamloops.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:Has anyone heard if there is going to be a Fanfest in Vancouver? I have seen the one for Kamloops listed but unless my brain still hasn't recovered from learning the Roughies have the best linebacking corps in the league ( :tp: :tp: :tp: :tp: see thread "Regina sports journalist tries to break Internet" for background), I haven't seen or heard of any mention of one. If there is going to be one, they should start advertising it PDQ.
When I was talking to my accounts manager back in March, she mentioned that the Lions are considering holding a fan fest in Vancouver either at the Agrodome or Swangard Stadium where fans can watch a practice and then an opportunity to get player autographs afterwards.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

I mentioned during the off season how it would be nice to see TSN 1040 offering more Lions programming, especially compared to the Whitecaps are getting on a weekly basis. 3rd Down Radio does just that with Scott Rintoul, Gullio and LU. Two hours long to boot. Tonight's first show was outstanding it will be weekly throughout the season from 7-9 pm.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:I mentioned during the off season how it would be nice to see TSN 1040 offering more Lions programming, especially compared to the Whitecaps are getting on a weekly basis. 3rd Down Radio does just that with Scott Rintoul, Gullio and LU. Two hours long to boot. Tonight's first show was outstanding it will be weekly throughout the season from 7-9 pm.
I'll have to try to catch it. TSN 1040's midday interviews from training camp have been good too. I suspect they'll do what they've done in past years by just broadcasting from Kamloops during the first week of camp but it's great to hear lot of football talk. I'm looking forward to hitting Kamloops this weekend.

I also got an email from the Lions today announcing single-game ticket discounts for season ticketholders and special offers to entice fans to bring kids to games.
There are more reasons than ever before to invite the little Lions fans in your life to a game. This season, families will find new additions to the game-day experience like face painting for kids, a fun football toss and more, at sections 215 and 240! Also new for this season, kids sized meal packs are available at all grill stands around the concourse!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:I mentioned during the off season how it would be nice to see TSN 1040 offering more Lions programming, especially compared to the Whitecaps are getting on a weekly basis. 3rd Down Radio does just that with Scott Rintoul, Gullio and LU. Two hours long to boot. Tonight's first show was outstanding it will be weekly throughout the season from 7-9 pm.
Global should dismantle the so called sports department. Someone ought to tell Squire Barnes the Lions are in training camp. Not one peep on the Lions couple of days ago.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:Global should dismantle the so called sports department. Someone ought to tell Squire Barnes the Lions are in training camp. Not one peep on the Lions couple of days ago.
Global was promoting their coverage from training camp the other day but I haven't seen it. I gave up watching TV sports years ago except on CFL game nights, when I know they will show hilights
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Global should dismantle the so called sports department. Someone ought to tell Squire Barnes the Lions are in training camp. Not one peep on the Lions couple of days ago.
I don't think there was anything Monday but he had a segment on them in last night's evening news.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Spud387
Champion

People still watch the news on TV??
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Spud387 wrote:People still watch the news on TV??
Believe it or not YES. I know it's probably old fashioned but.........
Qman
Champion

David wrote:Dennis Skulsky was just on TSN1040 radio with Tom Mayenknecht ("The Sports Market" show which focuses on the business side of sports). Looks like they've finally listened to what many of us have been calling (shouting?) for, for some time: getting youth to attend games with affordable tickets. It seems like a no-brainer (they typically bring their parents to games, after all), but this concept seems to have escaped the Lions' front office and marketing departments - or they just didn't see it as a need, until now.

* For the home opener on Saturday June 25, they're going to have a $5 ticket available for all kids 12 and under. That's 5 bucks, all in!

* They're also introducing "Kid's Club" (presumably a youth section?) sponsored by Springfree Trampolines.

Skulsky didn't share, nor was he asked for a season ticket update, other than there's been lots on the go. He said they "closed last year and wanted to do better with attendance in the stands" (well D'uh!) to build off the strong radio, TV, digital, and Social Media numbers they have.

3 times this week i have been exposed to a different lions ticket offer for the home opener through various community organizations i'm involved with, etc. Good to see lions not drop the ball on their various programs like they did last year. As well, they seemed to take a number of the suggestions posted on this site (yes, we have some power!!!) and integrated them into their season membership programs.

the final 8-9000 seats are the hardest to sell, hopefully we can get close to 27k every game
David
Team Captain

Happy to see this initiative and the Lions really working it this year. Just wondering though Qman, wouldn't they have likely had a good crowd for a Friday night home opener against the Stamps, organically?

I am certainly not criticizing the offer - after all, it's something we've been calling for, for years - but isn't a $5 kid's ticket the type of thing you leverage against Hamilton or Ottawa in the dead of summer to put more bums in the seats? I am assuming they want to create a strong buzz right from the get-go, and carry the momentum forward.

Again, not a criticism, just curious about the strategy is all.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Qman wrote:3 times this week i have been exposed to a different lions ticket offer for the home opener through various community organizations i'm involved with, etc. Good to see lions not drop the ball on their various programs like they did last year. As well, they seemed to take a number of the suggestions posted on this site (yes, we have some power!!!) and integrated them into their season membership programs.

the final 8-9000 seats are the hardest to sell, hopefully we can get close to 27k every game
The Ticketmaster map shows only about 500 seats left for the June 17 preseason game after freebies were offered to season ticketholders. There are lots of ticket left for the regular season opener the following week.
Qman
Champion

David wrote:Happy to see this initiative and the Lions really working it this year. Just wondering though Qman, wouldn't they have likely had a good crowd for a Friday night home opener against the Stamps, organically?

I am certainly not criticizing the offer - after all, it's something we've been calling for, for years - but isn't a $5 kid's ticket the type of thing you leverage against Hamilton or Ottawa in the dead of summer to put more bums in the seats? I am assuming they want to create a strong buzz right from the get-go, and carry the momentum forward.

Again, not a criticism, just curious about the strategy is all.

they should do a similar-type promotion for HAM and TOR too (two of the worst draws and in the dead of summer). Lets face it. In the summer time, those corner/endzone seats will be half full anyways.
Lets fill them up with future fans. get to 27k every game, then cut back on promotions
My guess is they should close to sellout the fall games (except for Ottawa), so no need