2016 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

footballtom
Rookie

Just heard on cknw that they are expecting around 22.000.
footballtom
Rookie

Look at all the empty seats not good
MikeAK
All Star

Yeah, the whole "Summer Time" argument is garbage. The issues are clearly with prices and where people see the CFL in relation to other pro sports. The Lions see themselves one way and it's clearly a much different way than most people do. The Lions might believe the team makes more money from smaller crowds paying higher prices but I see that as an absolute destruction of a teams fan base and something which will hurt in the long run. Many of us have been harping about this issue for years now and here we are in 2016 with the same problems. Outside of a small community of long time diehard fans the Lions have no interest from others whatsoever. I'm usually not so set in my beliefs but I work with the public and know most people have no interest in the team at all. The Lions get nothing from concessions and parking but it still doesn't help the situation. Concession prices are criminal and a major turn off for a lot of people just on principal alone. Mark my words, we've lost a generation of fans because of the pricing issue that's been around for years now. We've lost an entire generation of people who've never been able to form a bond simply because the Lions aren't even an option. I wish we could fast forward 10 years and see the interest level and crowd support then.I suspect it's going to be pretty telling of the disconnect that's existed within the organization over the last 10 years.
LakeLions
Rookie

Unfortunately, this is all very true.
Alputt
Champion

2 years ago we played Ottawa on October 11, 2014 up against the Canucks home opener and had 31,217 fans. I remember because it was such a nightmare to get home. At that time Ottawa was a novelty but...

A couple weeks later we played Calgary in week 20 for a playoff preview and broke 33,000. They even opened up the visitors side of the upper bowl. I sat there. It wasn't that long ago... Am I wrong? What gives?
Alputt
Champion

If you close it they will leave? I loved my upper bowl front row tix. On the cheap. Not saying they could reopen now that the damage is done... But how? And why?
BC 1988
Legend

Alputt wrote:If you close it they will leave? I loved my upper bowl front row tix. On the cheap. Not saying they could reopen now that the damage is done... But how? And why?
Yes, I really liked those upper bowl front row seats too. With only the lower bowl, I still tend to go for higher rows (but it's obvious that most other fans don't, since there are always plenty of those seats available).

21,341 tonight and 21,213 last week--those are numbers to be expected in August in 2016. The Lions have to set the stage for when they get back Sep 9th--play like they have been on the road--don't take your opponents lightly like tonight. They were asking to get thumped by the Stamps.
Alputt
Champion

MikeAK wrote:Yeah, the whole "Summer Time" argument is garbage. The issues are clearly with prices and where people see the CFL in relation to other pro sports. The Lions see themselves one way and it's clearly a much different way than most people do. The Lions might believe the team makes more money from smaller crowds paying higher prices but I see that as an absolute destruction of a teams fan base and something which will hurt in the long run. Many of us have been harping about this issue for years now and here we are in 2016 with the same problems. Outside of a small community of long time diehard fans the Lions have no interest from others whatsoever. I'm usually not so set in my beliefs but I work with the public and know most people have no interest in the team at all. The Lions get nothing from concessions and parking but it still doesn't help the situation. Concession prices are criminal and a major turn off for a lot of people just on principal alone. Mark my words, we've lost a generation of fans because of the pricing issue that's been around for years now. We've lost an entire generation of people who've never been able to form a bond simply because the Lions aren't even an option. I wish we could fast forward 10 years and see the interest level and crowd support then.I suspect it's going to be pretty telling of the disconnect that's existed within the organization over the last 10 years.
I hate to say I agree... Many people in my generation (late 20's to mid 30's) Are die hard NFL fans and in pools and such. They are not necessarily anti-CFL, although it is seen as "minor league" (not my words), so when you ask them to come to a game they are interested until you point out 20 yard line or better seats are $90!!!

At this point they spit out their beer and invite you to Caps or Canadians for a fraction of that price. "C'mon man thats more than Seahawks, seriously?"

Lions/CFL ownership perception of value vs. anyone in this market under 40 is comically divergent. They would come in spades for $25 - $35. This I know.
Last edited by Alputt on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alputt
Champion

But not to sit in some crap seat empty end-zone with nothing going on. I mean Golds for $35. Now we're talkin' Skulsky. Full up with people ready to make it a party. $90? Laughs and empty seats.
footballtom
Rookie

MikeAK wrote:Yeah, the whole "Summer Time" argument is garbage. The issues are clearly with prices and where people see the CFL in relation to other pro sports. The Lions see themselves one way and it's clearly a much different way than most people do. The Lions might believe the team makes more money from smaller crowds paying higher prices but I see that as an absolute destruction of a teams fan base and something which will hurt in the long run. Many of us have been harping about this issue for years now and here we are in 2016 with the same problems. Outside of a small community of long time diehard fans the Lions have no interest from others whatsoever. I'm usually not so set in my beliefs but I work with the public and know most people have no interest in the team at all. The Lions get nothing from concessions and parking but it still doesn't help the situation. Concession prices are criminal and a major turn off for a lot of people just on principal alone. Mark my words, we've lost a generation of fans because of the pricing issue that's been around for years now. We've lost an entire generation of people who've never been able to form a bond simply because the Lions aren't even an option. I wish we could fast forward 10 years and see the interest level and crowd support then.I suspect it's going to be pretty telling of the disconnect that's existed within the organization over the last 10 years.

Yes all true the new ownership better have a much bigger plan or I can see this team moving to another city and having no football at all here.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

footballtom wrote:

Yes all true the new ownership better have a much bigger plan or I can see this team moving to another city and having no football at all here.

What city/stadium do you see the Lions moving to because maybe that is where the CFL should put an expansion team and leave the Lions where they are.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have been surveying fans after games. I got a survey today asking about my experience at the game, value for money, mode of transportation, etc., along with demographic information.

My perspective is different from fans who complain about high ticket and concession prices and poor in-game experience, so I hope some fans who hold those views also get surveyed. I answered honestly from the perspective of a longtime season ticket holder who has been attending Lions games for 50 years. I rated the overall value for money as excellent. My season tickets cost $32 per game, which I consider a bargain. I prefer to sit in the end zone where tickets are cheap and plentiful and I can study the flow of the play from a player's perspective. Concession prices are in line with those at other professional sporting events, and are probably cheaper than prices in many North American stadiums I've attended. I said fans were let down by the poor performance of players and coaches last night but that was my only negative comment.

The toughest question on this survey was identifying my favourite player. I usually root for an underappreciated national player and follow him closely during games. This year I hadn't identified anyone. I scrolled through the roster and selected Shawn Gore, who is having the best season of his career (40 catches for 560 yards after 8 games, an average of 14.0 yards per catch).
David
Team Captain

I was given the same survey and for the question, "On a scale from 0-10 where 0 is not at all satisfied and 10 is very satisfied how would you rate your overall experience with this game?"

I rated the experience a "6" out of 10, with the comment:

"I am a DIEHARD Lions fan, but from the opening whistle, the team didn't seem as hyped about this game as I was. Seeing half the seats empty at the start must have been demoralizing for the players; this could have been why they were so flat. I also took points away for the team being out-coached and not making adjustments, and poor refereeing (again). That should NOT have been "roughing the passer" on the fake punt."

"And please rate this event in terms of overall value for the money. Was it excellent, very good, good, fair or poor value for your money?"

I said "Good."

Hard to offer anything higher after that pasting, as they didn't ask games in general, they asked about that event (game) in particular. Still, I have Coaches Sideline seats and believe it's good value and don't think concession prices are out of line.

I do think there is a very large chasm though between what value a Lions hardcore like me places on my ticket versus what value a casual fan in this town places on it.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:I was given the same survey and for the question, "On a scale from 0-10 where 0 is not at all satisfied and 10 is very satisfied how would you rate your overall experience with this game?" I rated the experience a "6" out of 10, with the comment:

I am a DIEHARD Lions fan, but from the opening whistle, the team didn't seem as hyped about this game as I was. Seeing half the seats empty at the start must have been demoralizing for the players; this could have been why they were so flat. I also took points away for the team being out-coached and not making adjustments, and poor refereeing (again). That should NOT have been "roughing the passer" on the fake punt.

"And please rate this event in terms of overall value for the money. Was it excellent, very good, good, fair or poor value for your money?" I said "Good." Hard to offer anything higher after that pasting, as they didn't ask games in general, they asked about that event (game) in particular. Still, I have Coaches Sideline seats and believe it's good value and don't think concession prices are out of line.

I do think there is a very large chasm though between what value a Lions hardcore like me places on my ticket versus what value a casual fan in this town places on it.

The Lions don't seem to be able to make the distinction between casual and hard core fans and don't seem to have a plan to deal with it.
almo89
Legend

DanoT wrote:
David wrote:I was given the same survey and for the question, "On a scale from 0-10 where 0 is not at all satisfied and 10 is very satisfied how would you rate your overall experience with this game?" I rated the experience a "6" out of 10, with the comment:

I am a DIEHARD Lions fan, but from the opening whistle, the team didn't seem as hyped about this game as I was. Seeing half the seats empty at the start must have been demoralizing for the players; this could have been why they were so flat. I also took points away for the team being out-coached and not making adjustments, and poor refereeing (again). That should NOT have been "roughing the passer" on the fake punt.

"And please rate this event in terms of overall value for the money. Was it excellent, very good, good, fair or poor value for your money?" I said "Good." Hard to offer anything higher after that pasting, as they didn't ask games in general, they asked about that event (game) in particular. Still, I have Coaches Sideline seats and believe it's good value and don't think concession prices are out of line.

The Lions don't seem to be able to make the distinction between casual and hard core fans and don't seem to have a plan to deal with it.
Bingo. The die hards have always supported the team and will continue to do so. They haven't been able to convert casuals to die hards or at least convice the casuals to come in more often for a good night out at BC Place. Instead we've seen a downward trend where the casuals are spending money on other things. Like I've been saying all week. Last game was a first place show down and there has been barely any hype and promo from the team. It's still the winning team will sell tickets attitude. Well we have a winning team, but the attendance is still poor.