Are there ANY glaring weaknesses on this 2016 Lions team??

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Despite talk to the contrary I don't think we'll see an aggressive defence. We've all heard that before. It's not Wally's philosophy.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

You have a great team on paper, but until they prove to me they can win, I see these weaknesses :

1) Khari Jones - he needs to prove to me he can be a better OC than he was 2 years ago

2) Defence against the run - Lions have been poor against the run for awhile now, whether this year they will be better, we shall see.

3) RB - they lost Harris. Can any of the new guys be as good. Until I see it, this could be a weakness.

4) Field Goal/Convert Kicking - Leone can practice all he wants, but until he proves he can be way better than last year in game action, I see this as maybe the biggest weakness.

5) OL - let's see if they are better than last year and protect the quarterbacks. Again look good on paper, but games will tell.

I still see them finishing third. Let's see what happens.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Qman wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote: 3. Nickelback: This may be the most important position on defence. Steven Clarke hasn't played the position and hasn't shown the ability to blitz, attack the running game or play man coverage inside. Darious Lane has a bit more size and has at least practised at the position for a year but he dressed for only three games.

didn't we sign brandon stewart from HAM to play nickle/fieldside LB
That would make a lot of sense but Stewart has played most of his career at cornerback and according to LU, that's where the Lions plan to play him. The surprise return of Steven Clarke, who played field corner last year, doesn't seem to have changed things.
Hamilton vet Brandon Stewart was signed to play at wide-side cornerback. Mike Edem was signed as a free agent to push Eric Fraser at safety. B.C. hadn’t addressed a vacancy at nickelback with experience but will move returning sophomore Steven Clarke to a new position. Practice roster sophomore Darious Lane and free agent Chandler Fenner (NY Giants) will push Clarke.
Lions training camp preview: Buono’s biggest year yet
green road kill
Rookie

NOPE,and until they prove me wrong that's the way it'll be. Man am I jacked for this
year. Give a lot of credit to Wally, through free agency, the draft,and try out camps,
he and his staff have turned areas of weakness,into ones of potential strength and depth.

SECONDARY
The back end is going to be a lot better than the one that started last year. A year ago we paid a heavy price for the babes in the woods we had. the loss of Phillips for four games was huge. Signing Stewart and Iben while not super stars are good solid vets ,that will bring leadership and experience to the squad.I don't know why so many are down on the return of Clarke ( the Titans didn't sign him as the team Dumb Ass) Plus it looks like we signed some guys that can play. No more babes in the
woods, a year older and a year smarter. We got some make"ns.

DLINE
Much the same as the secondary,when they started to jell and the secondary matured we got a look at how good they could be.Down the stretch they did a pretty good job of stuffing the run and putting QBs on there buts.I don't put a lot of stock in rookies playing rookies but D Allen looks like he might be a rush end.

LINE BACKERS
TEAM 100 SAYS IT ALL.

OLINE
If being big means any thing we"v got that covered. I know a lot of you don't like
Dorrazzio, but the flat land guys did have the top ranked offence for a time,his O line was doing some thing right. We have a lot of potential a lot.

I could go on for a wile but it's 1 am in FLAT BUSH and even us GOPHER GRINDERS need a nap
caobax
Rookie

glaring weakness_can jj or t.l. be a student, accomplish it easy, and study the play-clock while chewing buble gum, sending shift catons, and motioning alignments through sideline assistance in 25 seconds without making a mess by scoring, yes.

glaring weakness_can all eligible pass catchers talk to each other about when and where to shift before the playclock timeout, accomplish it easy, and sometimes block behind the l.o.s. so their eligible pass comrade can get maximum yac while biting on their mouthpiece before the score, yes.
Rodu
Champion

can someone replace the big play deep threat Hawkins brought to us? Right now Jeffers-Harris is penciled in his spot, and at 27 he is what he is at this point in his career
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:You have a great team on paper, but until they prove to me they can win, I see these weaknesses :

1) Khari Jones - he needs to prove to me he can be a better OC than he was 2 years ago.
Addition by subtraction. Aside from approximately 3/4 of a game Jones had Kevin Glenn to work with 2 years ago. This year he has Jennings and what appears to be a 100% healthy Lulay in the bullpen. This is the 3rd season Jones has worn the OC title and the 1st season Kevin Glenn isn't his QB. To me those factors automatically make him a better OC.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Rodu wrote:can someone replace the big play deep threat Hawkins brought to us? Right now Jeffers-Harris is penciled in his spot, and at 27 he is what he is at this point in his career
I would agree with this. At minimum, Jeffers-Harris (whom I like as a receiver BTW....thought he was under-utilized last season) steps in and maintains Hawkins' gaudy receiving numbers. But then we are still down receiving depth, unless an unproven guy (say, Ings) steps up and surprises. Maybe Boldewijn moves out to WR when he returns from (hamstring) injury.

The Hawkins retirement was a big loss. I wouldn't say this is now a 'glaring' weakness, but as a position group we're not quite at the level of some other teams in the league. IMO.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

Are there glaring weaknesses in our Leos 2016 roster?

First of all, I think we have a lot of strengths going into this season. Those include:
1. Offensive line: A big offensive line with lots of depth but it will need to jell.
2. Quarterback: The quarterback position, with Jennings and Lulay looks very promising
3. Receiving: The receiving core, even with the loss of Hawkins, looks solid. Arsenault, Moore, and Jeffers Harris I believe can get the job done and Boldewijn could step up this season to be a receiving threat.
4. Defensive Tackle: Westerman, Brooks, and Minter provide interior defensive line strength.
5. Linebacker: Bighill, Eliminian, and Lokombo give us the best linebacking crew in the CFL.
6. Defensive Backfield: Yell, Lee, Edem, Phillips, Stewart, and Clarke are an aggressive, ball hawking unit.
7. Punter/Kicker: Leone can punt the ball very well and he should be a more consistent kicker this season. He had very little experience as a place kicker entering his rookie pro season last year.
8. Head Coach: Buono brings a 'presence' at that position that we have not had since he retired.

However, there are a number of weaknesses or at least 'question marks' going into this 2016 season that concern. These include:

1. National Receiver: Gore and Iannuzzi have experience but are they good enough to take pressure off our import receiving crew?
2. Tailback: Harris was a duel threat tailback. Can Johnson or Allen, whomever emerges, be a good enough receiving threat out of the backfield. A tailback who can catch as well as run can make a big difference to an offence.
3. Defensive End: Bazzie and Roh are our projected starters. A defense really needs to have a defensive end who can create consistent pressure on the opposition quarterback. Are either good enough to do this
4. Coaching: Buono brought back Mark Washington as DC. Buono chose to promoted Khari Jones back to his OC position. Buono also brought back Dorazio as offensive line coach. Washington has shown improvement but his defenses have not been aggressive nor have his blitz packages, when utilized, been effective. Jones is a spread offence devotee who hung his quarterback exposed in his rookie season as our OC and showed little imagination. Jennings is a quick release quarterback who is ideal spread offence quarterback due to his pocket presence and ability to read quickly. However, he will need a better protection from an improved scheme than the one Jones used in 2014. Dorazio is a mixed bag. His offensive lines, at times, have been effective in running the football and protecting the quarterback but at other times, Dorazio's offensive line have struggled to run the football or protect the quarterback. During Dorazio's first long stint in B.C. our quarterbacks were sacked the most in the CFL. Buono may bring more presence and discipline but he is not a strategist. Our assistant coaching strategies will need to be better than we've seen from these gentlemen in order to be successful this season.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

This is not a dramatically different team from 2015. Our O-line has gotten bigger, but with guys playing out of position it may take a few games to gel or make adjustments (like playing guys at their natural positions). I'm a bit concerned at centre... we traded to get a 10 year veteran centre who is not starting at centre?

Will Gore be as good as WB seems to think he is? He was a decent receiver last time he wore orange, but not a game changer.

For me the wild card is coaching. HC and coordinators. Last year the Lions had 5 or 6 games where we were unbeatable for the first 30 minutes. Unfortunately we crapped the bed in the second half of those games and I pin those defeats on Tedford/Cortez. So now that both are gone, will WB/Khari be the difference between Ws and Ls?

Maybe the most concerning issue is at running back. If we can manage to rush effectively then Harris leaving will not matter. But if we can't develop a good ground game, you have to wonder how much damage WB the GM did to WB the HC. WB circa 2011 had nothing but love for Harris and the end result was a Grey Cup. I still believe Harris paid the price for not pretending that all was good with Teddy/Cortez. We lost Harris and we very nearly lost Manny (who I expect will have a monster season). What this season just may show is that WB is a terrific HC but a mediocre GM.
sj-roc
Hall of Famer

In light of what I'm hearing in the marketing thread re: BCLionsDen, I see a weakness in some of the decision makers in this organisation: they need new shoes, because the ones they have now are full of bulletholes.
Sports can be a peculiar thing. When partaking in fiction, like a book or movie, we adopt a "Willing Suspension of Disbelief" for enjoyment's sake. There's a similar force at work in sports: "Willing Suspension of Rationality". If you doubt this, listen to any conversation between rival team fans. You even see it among fans of the same team. Fans argue over who's the better QB or goalie, and selectively cite stats that support their views while ignoring those that don't.
squishy35
Legend

sj-roc wrote:In light of what I'm hearing in the marketing thread re: BCLionsDen, I see a weakness in some of the decision makers in this organisation: they need new shoes, because the ones they have now are full of bulletholes.

http://www.bclions.com/contact-us/ As a fan site.... perhaps a tsunami of emails from members here complaining of the lack of effective marketing would be at least a little effective in having the marketing team respond to some feedback......?