Tell Me I'm Wrong - Re: Wally

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Tell Me I'm Wrong: Wally is having his best off-season since he joined the Lions. He's seemed so rejuvinated and energetic in most interviews and it looks like it's being reflected in his work. It's like the old maestro is back.
Last edited by Hambone on Sun May 22, 2016 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

Much like forecasting the CFL standings it will only be confirmed once the season ends. Right now he still needs a better coaching staff to maximize the talent that has been brought in. But that hasn't been his strong suit ever, just counting on the Lions talent to be higher than the opposition. So far IMO he is at least catching up.
Entertainment value = an all time low
maxlion
Legend

Wrong. The hard decisions were made over the past few seasons as vets were let go and the team got a lot younger. This year, the foundation was set. And as Rammer said, the proof is in the pudding. But Wally does seem to be making all the right moves right now.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:Tell Me I'm Wrong: Wally is having his best off-season since he joined the Lions. He's seemed so rejuvinated and energetic in most interviews and it looks like it's being reflected in his work. It's like the old maestro is back.
You're wrong.

Well, you aren't actually wrong, I just like telling people they're wrong as often as possible.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

cromartie wrote:
Hambone wrote:Tell Me I'm Wrong: Wally is having his best off-season since he joined the Lions. He's seemed so rejuvinated and energetic in most interviews and it looks like it's being reflected in his work. It's like the old maestro is back.
You're wrong.

Well, you aren't actually wrong, I just like telling people they're wrong as often as possible.
What is wrong is the thread title...it is misleading and negative and what Wally has been doing this off season has been very very positive.
dat
Rookie

I would have to say I am encouraged and that the Lions have done better this offseason than last. Last year they didn't pick anyone up from other CFL teams and made some somewhat questionable draft picks. This year they have added Moore and Bryant and their draft selections seem pretty solid. I would like to see a bit more competition at the RB position but I'm sure that is coming. Can't wait for the season to get underway.

DAT
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

I have commented on this previously. Wally seems to have his good karma going.

The draft, on the face of it, was excellent for us. Vaillancourt was a must pick at 3. Borderline NFL ability. Rated at or near the top on CFL draft lists.

Signing Jennings.

Signing Lulay.

Gamble on Boyko might pay off.

Adams has turned into a 1st round pick.

Tough spot for Wally on this one. Safe play -- take the draft pick. Jennings has shown great potential, with live bullets flying. No room for Adams. Scary prospect, although odds against, Adams becomes a CFL superstar. Even then, he might sneak off to the NFL.

Wally has his mojo working at this time. :thup:

Next -- philosophy and systems in the modern CFL.

If the Lions' staff thought Adams had greater upside than Jennings, then you must try to keep him. (Get him signed. Bring him to camp. See if he wins spot number three.) They must not have thought that. If he goes into a higher orbit than Jennings in his CFL career, then credit Popp with judgment, and with winning the trade, and, if it came to that, our staff would have underestimated his potential.)

Montreal got him signed. So CFL money was not a problem.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
cromartie wrote:
You're wrong.

What is wrong is the thread title...it is misleading and negative and what Wally has been doing this off season has been very very positive.
Sorry about that Dano. I thought the commentary made it very clear that I believe Buono has had an outstanding off-season to date and was tossing out a bit of a challenge to see if someone had wanted to offer a contrary opinion.

I made a subtle change to clarify,
Hambone
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
You're wrong.

And to think I used to like you Cro. :tease:

Don't know if you get to listen to TSN1040 often but "Tell Me I'm Wrong" is a daily segment in the 11:00 am hour on Matt Sekeres' show. Folks email, text or tweet in challenging the hosts to tell them they're wrong. I was playing off that.
LakeLions
Rookie

I'll go with the contrary viewpoint...but make it clear I don't think this has been a bad offseason either.

We don't yet know if Jennings is truly legit. He's looked okay. But what happens if he struggles and Lulay inevitably gets injured? Jennings pretty much MUST be a good starter, and I'm not convinced that's a sure thing based on six starts.

Other names have been mentioned, and I would suggest that other than NIck Moore, none are going to change the overall look of this team. But I could be wrong on that.

What about a running game? Who's there? Losing Andrew Harris, I still think, is a massive blow on a couple levels.

So I'll give it an okay grade. But not convinced it's a great offseason yet
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

LakeLions wrote:I'll go with the contrary viewpoint...but make it clear I don't think this has been a bad offseason either.

We don't yet know if Jennings is truly legit. He's looked okay. But what happens if he struggles and Lulay inevitably gets injured? Jennings pretty much MUST be a good starter, and I'm not convinced that's a sure thing based on six starts.

Other names have been mentioned, and I would suggest that other than NIck Moore, none are going to change the overall look of this team. But I could be wrong on that.

What about a running game? Who's there? Losing Andrew Harris, I still think, is a massive blow on a couple levels.

So I'll give it an okay grade. But not convinced it's a great offseason yet
Former Rider RB Anthony Allen and former Redblack RB Jeremiah Johnson were signed in the offseason. Losing Harris represents a big salary cap savings, allowing more $ to be spread around to other players.

Personally I would have preferred for the Lions to keep Harris and play him in a two back set (like they did in the past with him and Logan with great success) with the other back being a big guy who could do the blocking on obvious passing plays with Harris going out of the backfield or lining up at slot to catch passes.
LakeLions
Rookie

Ah yes. I forgot about Allen.

Thanks

We'll see how that competition works out. I still prefer a known Canadian entity there, but I'm certainly willing to be proven wrong
CardiacKid
Legend

LakeLions wrote:Ah yes. I forgot about Allen.

Thanks

We'll see how that competition works out. I still prefer a known Canadian entity there, but I'm certainly willing to be proven wrong
Jeremiah Johnson is a quality back and if not for an ankle injury last year, could have emerged as a dominant back. He is a load and runs hard and hard downhill. He will be an improvement to Harris with regards to running between the tackles but I am not sure about his hands out of the back field. As for Allen, he kept a good attitude in the chaos of Riderville last year and was willing to work on teams or whatever was asked of him.

So things are definitely shaping up to be different at running back. Some folks who were less than enamored with Harris' so-called attitude may also think the new backs are a better fit for the dressing room. Myself, I am not necessarily of that opinion but it may be something to watch as the season unfolds.
pennw
Legend

We may have lost Harris and his national status at RB , but we have gained a few more Nationals on the OL as well as WR . We have pretty much enough National OL , if they all pan out , to actually start an all National offensive line . I know we won't but we have enough . I see it as a net gain with going international at RB .
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Ese compete for a roster spot , to see if he can actually be a decent DE . I don't think he was really given a fair shot last season , and WB said as much . The guy had to come off the roster to allow some one else on due an injury situation .