Vernon Adams Maybe a BC Lion?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

I am not overly familiar with the process involving players on negotiation lists but aren't the Als in just the same position the Lions were? Namely aren't they needing to pony up the deal Adams wasn't able to get from Wally? I understand they are in limbo with their QBs and need to get their future sorted out and Adams could be that guy. But what if the Als aren't motivated enough to meet Adam's demands? I am assuming they wouldn't have made the trade otherwise but what if he decides to increase those demands? Could the Als then trade their negotiating rights or Adams just walks away from football for a year and try the NFL again?
More and more I think Wally did good in making lemonade out lemons. Just use that pick wisely....
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:I am not overly familiar with the process involving players on negotiation lists but aren't the Als in just the same position the Lions were? Namely aren't they needing to pony up the deal Adams wasn't able to get from Wally? I understand they are in limbo with their QBs and need to get their future sorted out and Adams could be that guy. But what if the Als aren't motivated enough to meet Adam's demands? I am assuming they wouldn't have made the trade otherwise but what if he decides to increase those demands? Could the Als then trade their negotiating rights or Adams just walks away from football for a year and try the NFL again?
More and more I think Wally did good in making lemonade out lemons. Just use that pick wisely....
Until Adams signs, he is free to explore his football options outside of the CFL.

The Alouettes have his CFL rights. Dunno if the Als had inside information on the willingness of Adams to sign with them. But he has made noises that he is happy to join Montreal.

http://3downnation.com/2016/05/20/16276/
He definitely likes going to Montreal, though.

“Can’t wait to get to Montreal,” Adams wrote on his Twitter account. “Thank you God.”
Reading between the lines, and knowing Wally's tightfistedness, it sounds like Adams was not all that keen on signing here. And, in fairness, how much could Wally actually pony up for a player with a long list ahead of him on the depth chart?
“I didn’t want the player not to show up, then there’s a power play down the road,” Buono said in explaining the deal. “We get a first-round value. Montreal got a good prospect. If he beats us, it’s in the Grey Cup game not the Western final.”
Still, one has some concerns. Adams seems to be one who might have some magic. Might.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
aklawitter
All Star

fantastic asset management... trade an unsigned guy who might be a TC cut (Wally hinted at this as well) for a pick that will likely be Top3
JohnnyMusso
Champion

From what I read, it is a done deal and Montreal will meet his contract demands and feel he is worth the risk. No way Montreal cuts him after giving up a 1st to get him. They will cut Cato or their other backup.

As I said, it is a great trade unless he becomes the best QB in the quarterback for years to come. The jury is still out on Jennings. Good rookie season but not great. And I still think Lulay is finished as a starter.
maxlion
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote: The jury is still out on Jennings. Good rookie season but not great. And I still think Lulay is finished as a starter.
A good rookie season is winning a 3rd string role and getting in a few live series while learning the system. Setting the league on fire while winning the starter's job is far beyond expectations for a rookie. But you're right that the jury is still out until he proves he can do it over a full season, and I agree that if Lulay starts more than 2-3 games, we're in trouble.
pennw
Legend

JohnnyMusso wrote:From what I read, it is a done deal and Montreal will meet his contract demands and feel he is worth the risk. No way Montreal cuts him after giving up a 1st to get him. They will cut Cato or their other backup.

As I said, it is a great trade unless he becomes the best QB in the quarterback for years to come. The jury is still out on Jennings. Good rookie season but not great. And I still think Lulay is finished as a starter.
I'd say the jury is far more in on Jennings than Adams . Jennings on his limited starts had the best numbers of any QB during the same period in the CFL .IMO Jennings has been our top prospect in some time , including Lulay and Reilly . Adams so far has nothing beyond college and if the Seahawks have no interest in him , even with his similarity to Wilson , it could be a sign of him being over rated . You can't point to his stature as being a factor with them, as he is almost the same size as Wilson . Very good move by WB .
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:I am not overly familiar with the process involving players on negotiation lists but aren't the Als in just the same position the Lions were?
To answer your main question yes the Als are in the same position as the Lions. However they are also in a different position in terms of their QB depth chart and possibly salary structure amongst their QBs. Just because Adams demands didn't make for a fit with BC doesn't mean they don't work for Montreal.

Basically once a neg list player expresses interest in signing a deal the club has 10 days to make a reasonable offer or drop the player from their neg list. If the player doesn't want to accept there is somewhat of a dispute or arbitration mechanism in the form of the Commissioner's Office. If the Commissioner deems the offer unreasonable the club would have to drop the player from their neg list immediately. If the Commissioner deems the offer reasonable then the club can retain the neg list rights to the player up to another 365 days. There's no lack of rookie contracts that the Commissioner can use for precedents. Jennings' rookie deal at $55K was probably quite normal for rookie QBs with little or no pro experience meaning a similar offer was tendered to Adams there's no way the Commissioner could deem it unreasonable.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Maxlion wrote:

A good rookie season is winning a 3rd string role and getting in a few live series while learning the system. Setting the league on fire while winning the starter's job is far beyond expectations for a rookie. But you're right that the jury is still out until he proves he can do it over a full season, and I agree that if Lulay starts more than 2-3 games, we're in trouble.

He didn't win the starter's job, he got it because both our quarterbacks were hurt. If the 2nd string cannot remember his name did not get badly hurt, Jennings would not have started. Once he did start he did play great I agree, but I meant he was not great in that, he did not win a lot of games. We blew 2 or 3 games in the 4th quarter with big leads, though that could have been on the offensive coordinator playing too conservative. Yet I agree he is our best hope. I don't understand why they gave Lulay so much money to be the backup. I think he has had too many injuries to the shoulder. I may be wrong. As for Adams, today it is a great trade; time will tell if he becomes a good or great CFL quarterback or a bust. I think he is too bigheaded. If he is so good as he thinks he is, why did no NFL sign him. We will find out if Popp or Buono is right.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Big thumbs up for Wally on this move. If Adams was even going to see the field in BC for regular season action it likely would have meant the Lions were in a heap of trouble due to injuries or Jennings and Lulay struggling mightily.
I echo some of the other posts as well. If Adams is such a sure-fire CFL prospect how is he not even getting an invite to an NFL mini-camp, never mind main training camps? Especially if his strengths are being compared to Wilson? I hope the kid does well in Montreal as it's good for the league but the Lions have already hitched their wagon to Jennings who will hit the ground running this season.
David
Team Captain

Chalk another one up for Wally. Adams could turn out to be another Dave Dickenson, who was once property of the Argos until Calgary traded for him, but odds are not in his favour. Hmmm, is it me or was Wally trumpeting this guy as the next Doug Flutie (so to speak) before Jennings extended? Could that have been somewhat of a ploy to get agent Bardia Ghahremani to get Jennings' name on a contract?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
cromartie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Chalk another one up for Wally. Adams could turn out to be another Dave Dickenson, who was once property of the Argos until Calgary traded for him, but odds are not in his favour. Hmmm, is it me or was Wally trumpeting this guy as the next Doug Flutie (so to speak) before Jennings extended? Could that have been somewhat of a ploy to get agent Bardia Ghahremani to get Jennings' name on a contract?

DH :cool:
We've done this type of deal before, though it took me a bit of research to figure out who it was for and with whom.

It was during the 2005 season, when we shipped the rights to Ryan Dinwiddie to Winnipeg for a 2006 1st. That pick turned into Jay Pottinger.
Qman
Champion

Jason Gesser - all-Pac10 QB / MVP -- netted us Jamall Johnson and a 1st round pick in 2003 i believe.
Wally has done this before lots of times.
CardiacKid
Legend

Let's go full circle on this. The first round pick the Lions gave up to Ottawa to get Kevin Glenn, that went on to be Antoine Pruneau....lets trade this newly acquired 1st round pick to get Pruneau in Leo's orange and make some progress towards wiping the Glenn era from our collective consciousness'.
I jest of course but let's hope that whomever the Leo's get with this pick is just as good as Pruneau, an excellent player who deserves more kudos IMO.
CardiacKid
Legend

Adams signs 3 year deal with the Als, terms not released. Let the 20-20 hindsight begin....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer