Vernon Adams Maybe a BC Lion?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Spud387
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions believe they have a potential star QB on the roster. Montreal is still searching. Trading a neg list player for a first-round draft pick is a big win for the Lions, even if Adams goes on to become a star.
And even if he becomes a star it is clear he is taking the first opportunity he can to go back to nfl
JohnHenry
Champion

Why the Als would contemplate bringing in another QB after how good Brandon Bridges looked in his start last year...is hard to fathom? This is a great deal getting a 1st rounder for an unsigned nobody. Reminds me of the Jason Gesser deal when Wally traded his neg rights to Calgary for a 1st round pick. :thup:
maxlion
Legend

Excellent move by Wally. Adams would have been hard pressed to beat out Price/Mcghee for the 3rd string role, and we would have lost him for sure on the PR. Mtl is in dire need of a QB and Adams will have a much better opportunity to win a job there. Steep price to pay for an unproven prospect, but time will tell if it was worth it for Mtl. Lions still solid at QB and almost certain to have 1st overall pick next year.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:Excellent move by Wally. Adams would have been hard pressed to beat out Price/Mcghee for the 3rd string role, and we would have lost him for sure on the PR. Mtl is in dire need of a QB and Adams will have a much better opportunity to win a job there. Steep price to pay for an unproven prospect, but time will tell if it was worth it for Mtl. Lions still solid at QB and almost certain to have 1st overall pick next year.
Excellent compensation for Adams.

It is scary though. Adams could be a monster in this league. And of course the Lions staff has to judge if they think Adams could beat out Price or McGhee.

On tape Adams looks more mobile than Jennings, more capable of hurting the D with his legs. Jennings is mobile and elusive in the pocket, but perhaps not a real threat to break down a D with his legs.

It is a tricky situation when you have depth, you have just signed Jennings, you have re-upped with Lulay, and you have faith in the other backups.

In any case, this fan is glad to see Adams in the CFL. Hopefully for a long time.

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

If Adams turns out to be another Doug Flutie this trade will haunt Lions for long time. If not and he is no better than Jennings then it is a great trade , especially if we Get the NO 1 or 2 pick in the draft. Adams clearly has his eyes on the NFL and will bolt first chance he gets. Montreal will likely cut someone now for they has too many quarterbacks and no way Adams wants to be No 4 on their depth chart. Cato will probably be released to make room for Adams.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:If Adams turns out to be another Doug Flutie this trade will haunt Lions for long time. If not and he is no better than Jennings then it is a great trade , especially if we Get the NO 1 or 2 pick in the draft. Adams clearly has his eyes on the NFL and will bolt first chance he gets. Montreal will likely cut someone now for they has too many quarterbacks and no way Adams wants to be No 4 on their depth chart. Cato will probably be released to make room for Adams.
there will never be another doug flutie, only those who are somewhat similar.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
CardiacKid
Legend

Disappointed the kid won't be making even a cursory appearance with the Leos but it appears the motivation simply wasn't there. I found his tweet, with thanking God for Montreal rather odd....almost as though he found the notion of playing for the Lions objectionable. If that was so, then this turn of events is indeed the best case scenario.
Hopefully the Lions make good use of this pick. Much like Ottawa did with the pick they got from us for Kevin Glenn. Pruneau has the potential to be a Hall of Famer.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
B.C.FAN wrote:The Lions believe they have a potential star QB on the roster. Montreal is still searching. Trading a neg list player for a first-round draft pick is a big win for the Lions, even if Adams goes on to become a star.
Could turn into win-win for both.
Adams as a Lion, would start out as the 5th QB on the depth chart and would need to have a great TC to even make the PR. As an Al Adams has an opportunity to be Glen's backup. A great trade for both teams and for Adams. Way to go Wally for getting the Al's first round pick for a guy with zero CFL experience. :yahoo:
South Pender
Legend

For what it's worth, here's a short piece from Pro Football Talk on Adams. He has evidently declared that he is as good as, or better than, No. 1 overall NFL draft pick, QB Jared Goff (who went to the Rams).

"Last week, Adams declared himself to be better than the guy who ended up being the No. 1 overall pick.

'Honestly, if I’m not as good as him I am better than him,' Adams told Dan Patrick regarding Rams quarterback Jared Goff. 'I’m not going to sit here and say he’s better than me because there’s nothing that he’s doing that I can’t do.'”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... in-canada/

Not sure he's coming into the pro ranks with quite the right 'tude....
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Has a big ego? No way he is as good as Goff or the 2nd pick. He went undrafted. Yes his size was a factor, but his ego probably turned Buono off. If he has a good rookie year, he will want big dollars and clearly want some of that now. I meant earlier if he is as good as Flutie or close to it, it will be a bad trade. The Flutie trade years ago was the worst in Lions history, well one of the worst. Kapp trading Dunnigan was bad too especially after giving up 5 players for him and what Kapp got ended up being only 1 or 2 players that played here more than 1 year.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:If Adams turns out to be another Doug Flutie this trade will haunt Lions for long time. If not and he is no better than Jennings then it is a great trade , especially if we Get the NO 1 or 2 pick in the draft. Adams clearly has his eyes on the NFL and will bolt first chance he gets. Montreal will likely cut someone now for they has too many quarterbacks and no way Adams wants to be No 4 on their depth chart. Cato will probably be released to make room for Adams.
We really can't concern ourselves with what Adams does in the future because at this point the way things unfolded he wasn't going to be a Lion.

Wally made an offer to Adams. Adams wouldn't agree to those terms wanting more money and shorter term. Rejecting BC's terms is totally with Adams' rights. Per the CBA when dealing with a neg list player the club is only obligated to make a reasonable offer. The player isn't obligated to accept the offer. In this case any offer in the area of what most rookie QBs fresh out of college have signed for fits the term reasonable. If an offer deemed reasonable by the Commissioner's Office is not accepted by the player the club must remove the player's name from their neg list no later than 365 days after said offer. Wally's options were to give in to the demands of 1+1 and more money (including the SMS implications), trade his rights now when his value is highest or be prepared to lose his rights for nothing no later than this time next year.

As for the Larks right now they have Kevin Glenn, Rakeem Cato, Jonathon Crompton, Tajh Boyd, Brandon Bridge and now presumably Adams. They also have signed 2 CIS kids who may be there just for the experience. Definitely something will have to give. Everybody seems to think Cato will draw the short straw and be released. If they decide to release somebody before camp my money is on Crompton and/or Boyd. Cato and Bridge would be more likely to draw some trade interest.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Rammer
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:Has a big ego? No way he is as good as Goff or the 2nd pick. He went undrafted. Yes his size was a factor, but his ego probably turned Buono off. If he has a good rookie year, he will want big dollars and clearly want some of that now. I meant earlier if he is as good as Flutie or close to it, it will be a bad trade. The Flutie trade years ago was the worst in Lions history, well one of the worst. Kapp trading Dunnigan was bad too especially after giving up 5 players for him and what Kapp got ended up being only 1 or 2 players that played here more than 1 year.

All I need to know is if he wants the number 1 Jersey, a tell that the player is more about himself than the team. He is entitled to his view on his own self worth, but it is hard to climb up from his PoV. Does that fall make him glamour or does he decide that the pro game requires more than just talking about yourself. Best of luck, he is on track to be needing it.
Entertainment value = an all time low
maxlion
Legend

Hambone wrote:
JohnnyMusso wrote:
As for the Larks right now they have Kevin Glenn, Rakeem Cato, Jonathon Crompton, Tajh Boyd, Brandon Bridge and now presumably Adams. They also have signed 2 CIS kids who may be there just for the experience. Definitely something will have to give. Everybody seems to think Cato will draw the short straw and be released. If they decide to release somebody before camp my money is on Crompton and/or Boyd. Cato and Bridge would be more likely to draw some trade interest.
Also signed another QB prospect Jake Medlock.

Glenn and Adams will for sure be on the roster. Crompton will start the season on injured reserve. That leaves Cato, Boyd, Bridge and Medlock to fight it out for 3rd string/BU and PR. None of these guys has much trade value, especially since all except one will be available for free at some point. Might be some team willing to give up something for Cato.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

maxlion wrote:Glenn and Adams will for sure be on the roster. Crompton will start the season on injured reserve. That leaves Cato, Boyd, Bridge and Medlock to fight it out for 3rd string/BU and PR. None of these guys has much trade value, especially since all except one will be available for free at some point. Might be some team willing to give up something for Cato.
Maybe. I think like Adams any trade value is at its highest now. Any team with reasonable interest will be motivated to get them now to gain the full benefit of training camp. Also if a team waits for them to be free there are no guarantees that the team will get them as they will first be subject to the waiver claim process.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

I am not overly familiar with the process involving players on negotiation lists but aren't the Als in just the same position the Lions were? Namely aren't they needing to pony up the deal Adams wasn't able to get from Wally? I understand they are in limbo with their QBs and need to get their future sorted out and Adams could be that guy. But what if the Als aren't motivated enough to meet Adam's demands? I am assuming they wouldn't have made the trade otherwise but what if he decides to increase those demands? Could the Als then trade their negotiating rights or Adams just walks away from football for a year and try the NFL again?
More and more I think Wally did good in making lemonade out lemons. Just use that pick wisely....