Vernon Adams Maybe a BC Lion?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

I don't follow NCAA Division One but I have seen a few tweets about Vernon Adams Jr., undrafted Oregon Duck QB being linked to the Leos. Farhan Lalji has tweeted:

"Buono has been in touch with Vernon Adams. Holding the 5th QB spot in training camp for him. Doesn't think he'll fit in the NFL. #BCLions"
"Oregon QB Vernon Adams went undrafted, then got a mini-camp tryout w/ #Seahawks. If he doesnt make it, realistic chance he signs w/ #BCLions"

The Sporting News reported, "Too Small Vernon Adams the biggest snub of NFL Draft"

An article on Yahoo Sports about Adams and Everett Golson...

"CHICAGO - Playing quarterback in the National Football League is akin to finding the proverbial needle in the haystack. And that’s even if you’ve been through a highly-regarded apprenticeship program.
Take Vernon Adams and Everett Golson, two QBs who have finished playing in highly-acclaimed NCAA programs at Oregon and Florida State, respectively. Neither player was selected during the 2016 NFL Draft on the weekend, and as of this writing, only Adams has been invited to an NFL mini-camp.
But what about the Canadian Football League?
Both players are around the same height and weight, Adams is 5-foot-10, 200 pounds while Golson is 5-11 and 197 pounds. That puts both passers below average size for most NFL teams.
“If Vernon Adams ever chose to come to the CFL, a team better jump all over that opportunity because he would be a star.” said a front-office member of one CFL team.
"I think Adams is the better CFL prospect,” a source told me in an email. "He is a better passer with a more consistent touch on his passes. Adams throws with better accuracy and ball placement. Vernon is more of a dual threat and has a better feel in the pocket."
Neil McEvoy, who is the B.C. Lions director of football operations and player personnel thinks it’s not a slam dunk Adams or even Golson will head north in the immediate future.
“They’re both good athletes. Fifteen or even 10 years ago both of these guys would probably be directed to the Canadian Football League and already signed,” explained McEvoy. “But because the NFL is looking at all players and trying to fit these guys into their programs, these guys will both get a look.”
Adams is on the Lions' negotiation list and the team obviously know his strengths and weaknesses very well.
“He’s not the biggest kid in the world but when he goes on the football field and plays, he plays at a high level. He’s athletic enough and he’s a winner wherever he’s been,” said McEvoy. “When he was at Eastern Washington they continually won, when he was at Oregon last year they won a lot of games.
“He got a little hurt (in 2015) and that’s going to be . . . his downfall. His size going up against the bigger guys may be a negative because of the fact he got hurt this year playing in the PAC-12.”
As for Golson, who didn’t receive an invite to the NFL combine, one draft guru says the three-down league is the best place at least to start.
"I think he's probably made to order for the CFL,’ Mike Mayock of the NFL Network told reporters during Golson’s pro day at the end of March. “I think he could go up there and run around and throw the football and have some fun and maybe kind of regenerate his resume a little bit.
“But he's an athletic kid with a big arm and I hope he gets an opportunity somewhere"

So maybe, just maybe the Leo's are about to have an embarrassment of riches amongst their young QB corps?
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:I don't follow NCAA Division One but I have seen a few tweets about Vernon Adams Jr., undrafted Oregon Duck QB being linked to the Leos. Farhan Lalji has tweeted:

"Buono has been in touch with Vernon Adams. Holding the 5th QB spot in training camp for him. Doesn't think he'll fit in the NFL. #BCLions"
"Oregon QB Vernon Adams went undrafted, then got a mini-camp tryout w/ #Seahawks. If he doesnt make it, realistic chance he signs w/ #BCLions"
I do and have seen Adams up close and in person on two occasions.Once was 2 years ago with Eastern Washington when he came into Husky Stadium and threw 7 (!) TD passes on a young UW secondary. The second was last season when he had transferred to Oregon and came off a several game layoff from injury to still beat the Huskies in Husky Stadium. UW sported the #1 defence in the conference last season. I saw the guy hit targets that I thought were all but unhittable and escape situations that were all but inescapable.

I still think the chances of him landing here are extremely remote, but if it happened he'd be a star here for a decade.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid
Legend

Adams signing with the Leo's has some traction in the media....

http://3downnation.com/2016/05/03/lions ... ons-adams/
squishy35
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:Adams signing with the Leo's has some traction in the media....

http://3downnation.com/2016/05/03/lions ... ons-adams/

Similar to Jennings, he presents with incredible poise and patience in the backfield. He also has wheels. Looking at his highlight reel, I can't help but draw a mental comparison to Doug Flutie in his first season with the Lions.

I predict that if Vernon Adams comes to this league, he will find some big success.
South Pender
Legend

Here's a short piece on Adams' first day at the Seahawks' rookie mini-camp:

http://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/index.ssf ... adams.html

He's really in tough here with Trevone Boykin--another Russell Wilson type who put up insane numbers at TCU and was in the running for the Heisman--also competing for a backup position with the 'Hawks and the real possibility that Tavaris Jackson, still unsigned, will return to back up Wilson.
South Pender
Legend

Vernon Adams leaves Seattle without a contract. It appears that Trevone Boykin made a stronger impression on Pete Carroll for the backup QB spot. Adams is now off to Washington for a tryout at their rookie mini-camp this coming weekend.

http://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/index.ssf ... leave.html

Hard to see Adams sticking with Washington who have two guys already on their roster behind starter Kirk Cousins--veteran Colt McCoy and rookie UDFA Nate Sudfeld. Adams could end up on a PR for some team, though. If it comes to that possibility, let's hope he chooses instead to come to the CFL and play.
David
Team Captain

South Pender wrote:Adams could end up on a PR for some team, though. If it comes to that possibility, let's hope he chooses instead to come to the CFL and play.
The thing is, where would he end up on our roster this year? He's not going to unseat Jennings or Lulay, at least not this year. It may behoove him to exhaust his NFL options first and play the waiting game down there.

Maybe he could move up the depth chart here if Jennings or Lulay get hurt, but Price may be a more attractive option due to his experience in the CFL game.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the update SP
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

South Pender wrote:Vernon Adams leaves Seattle without a contract. It appears that Trevone Boykin made a stronger impression on Pete Carroll for the backup QB spot. Adams is now off to Washington for a tryout at their rookie mini-camp this coming weekend.

http://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/index.ssf ... leave.html

Hard to see Adams sticking with Washington who have two guys already on their roster behind starter Kirk Cousins--veteran Colt McCoy and rookie UDFA Nate Sudfeld. Adams could end up on a PR for some team, though. If it comes to that possibility, let's hope he chooses instead to come to the CFL and play.
What makes things difficult for young QBs in there just aren't a lot of opportunities. CFL teams carry 3 on the active roster and more often than not a fourth on the PR. In the NFL at any given point in the season there is an average of less than 3 QBs per team including their PR. Most NFL teams only carry 2 on the active roster. Those that do carry only 2 on the active roster don't necessarily have a 3rd on the PR. If one gets hurt they'll just go get a free agent. Some do carry 3 but it's rare that a team has a 4th on the payroll. When I looked at this at some point last year or the year before I found there were more teams who carried 2 QBs in total (2 active, nobody on the PR) than there were teams with 4 between their active roster and PR.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
South Pender wrote:Adams could end up on a PR for some team, though. If it comes to that possibility, let's hope he chooses instead to come to the CFL and play.
The thing is, where would he end up on our roster this year? He's not going to unseat Jennings or Lulay, at least not this year. It may behoove him to exhaust his NFL options first and play the waiting game down there.

Maybe he could move up the depth chart here if Jennings or Lulay get hurt, but Price may be a more attractive option due to his experience in the CFL game.

DH :cool:
The answer to that may lie in Jennings' extension. Wally is always thinking two and three years down the road with the roster and salary allotment. Jennings' big bump to $300K happens to kick in the season after Lulay's current deal expires. Suffice it to say unless Jennings' tanks forcing BC to get out from under that deal before the third year kicks in Lulay's days on the BC playing roster likely end when his current contract expires. Price may be more attractive based on CFL experience but the Lions also have to be filling the #3 spot with the player they believe projects to best fill that #2 spot in 2018. If he were to sign up here I think he'd enter a very much wide open competition for #3 with McGhee and Price. Having a raw rookie at #3 has never seemed to bother Wally in the past.
Qman
Champion

I don't think adams playing pro ball is guaranteed
jennings and mcghee are a only few months older than vernon adams. He was actually in graduate school at oregon. he was 23yr old playing against 18-21yr olds
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Qman wrote:I don't think adams playing pro ball is guaranteed
jennings and mcghee are a only few months older than vernon adams. He was actually in graduate school at oregon. he was 23yr old playing against 18-21yr olds
Adams didn't turn 23 until this January, after the Ducks' season was over. He was really no different than many other NCAA grads who redshirt along the way. Included in that group are 2016 draft picks Carson Wentz who is a few days older than Adams, and Connor Cook who is 4 weeks younger. Like them Adams redshirted in his true freshman season then played his 4 years of eligibility. Only difference is he switched schools along the way spending 3 at Eastern Washington and finally his senior season at Oregon. Others like Jacoby Brissett who is a few weeks older than Adams sat out a year along the way due to transferring rules. In total 15 QBs went in this year's NFL Draft. Adams is younger than 6 of them including #2 overall Wentz and only 4 weeks to 4 months older than 4 more.
Qman
Champion

Roar Report ‏@RoarReport 28m28 minutes ago
Roar Report Retweeted KREM 2 Sports

quite likely Vernon Adams will come to #bclions TC to compete for 4th string / practice roster QB spot

#CFLRoar Report added,

KREM 2 Sports @KREM2Sports
According to @john_keim, the Redskins will pass on @vadams_qb. The @BCLions should be next
CardiacKid
Legend

Excellent news! Like I mentioned when I first posted this thread, I wasn't familiar with Adams but since then have begun to appreciate his potential. It seems the CFL is a natural fit for his skill set based on what other Lionbackers have mentioned.

I am going to surmise McGhee is now most likely sitting on the bubble?

One more piece of what has been IMO a very good week for the Leo's in their efforts to improve their Canadian and overall depth along with their youthful talent pool.