Vernon Adams Maybe a BC Lion?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cromartie
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:Let's go full circle on this. The first round pick the Lions gave up to Ottawa to get Kevin Glenn, that went on to be Antoine Pruneau....lets trade this newly acquired 1st round pick to get Pruneau in Leo's orange and make some progress towards wiping the Glenn era from our collective consciousness'.
I jest of course but let's hope that whomever the Leo's get with this pick is just as good as Pruneau, an excellent player who deserves more kudos IMO.
I don't know, I think it wasn't a bad deal considering the circumstances, and we got about the most we could expect out of Glenn. Some trades work out better than others.
Lionsfan65
Starter

cromartie wrote: I don't know, I think it wasn't a bad deal considering the circumstances, and we got about the most we could expect out of Glenn. Some trades work out better than others.
Considering Glenn was just coming off the 2 best seasons of his career, and we desperately needed a decent quarterback, I would say that was a good trade, especially when you consider Glenn finished the year second in passing yards, and still managed to put the team in a playoff position.
CardiacKid
Legend

Lionsfan65 wrote:
cromartie wrote: I don't know, I think it wasn't a bad deal considering the circumstances, and we got about the most we could expect out of Glenn. Some trades work out better than others.
Considering Glenn was just coming off the 2 best seasons of his career, and we desperately needed a decent quarterback, I would say that was a good trade, especially when you consider Glenn finished the year second in passing yards, and still managed to put the team in a playoff position.
Glenn was named as the Als' starter this year by Jim Popp, who basically said the job is his to lose. The signing of Adams by the Als makes me think of Troy Smith's ascension and then utter collapse in Montreal. Smith, the former Heismann winner, was going to be the "quarterback of the future" and he certainly started off well but then things went completely pear-shaped for the guy. The Als gave him every opportunity to extricate himself from the hole he fell into but things never got back on track.

Wondering if there is any rot in the Als organization that could impact Adams like what happened to Smith?
CardiacKid
Legend

Sounds like Adams got himself a WAAAAAAAAY better deal with Montreal than what he was offered by the Leo's. In fact, about 2 X better, the Als signed him to the 3 year contract at $100,000 per.

Makes me think the Als will need to jettison some contracts to accommodate Adams, especially when you consider they ditched Henoc Muamba because of cap space. If they jettison Cato, I think he would be worth a look-see as a potential competitor for 3rd string status.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

We have seen plenty of examples in sports where teams have over payed and over hyped for an athlete. I don't know if this is the case here but Montreal rode the Calvillo horse almost exclusively for a decade and appeared to put little effort into the job of recruiting and grooming new QB's. Instead they now seem to be riding this merry go round looking for the next "big QB" and they don't appear to be doing very well at it. It is proof in my eyes that player development is a full time commitment and philosophy and Montreal is going to have a long challenging journey unless they get extremely lucky. It appears now that Smith may well be slotted into a position on the depth chart that he has not earned. That is unless the Als routininely play this kind of money for a 3rd string QB. Well, it is their money and their gamble, sometimes such things pay off but sometimes too they result in QB's who get asked to do too much, too quickly and eventually screw them up so as to completely mess them up.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.