Collie retires ... name our Canadian starters

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Qman
Champion

squishy35 wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:
Qman wrote:
wally has said they are going to play a ton of 30 defence this year (liked MTL's defensive schemes from last year).

i'm not a big fans of only rushing 3, and we don't have a great blitzing LB.
anyways thats what wally's plans are
Going to be interesting whether the Lions are really going to a 30 defence. Buono is a really conservative coach.

Matt Carter (Ott) and Jabari Arthur (Cal) are two unsigned national receivers that may hit Wally's radar if more Cnd depth is needed in the receiving Corps.....

if wally has to sign these guys ... we are finishing 5th for sure
sixbeamers
Rookie

I believe Canadian receiver Matt Carter announced his retirement in January, citing the number of concussions he suffered in his injury-marred career.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

sixbeamers wrote:I believe Canadian receiver Matt Carter announced his retirement in January, citing the number of concussions he suffered in his injury-marred career.
Thanks, Mike. It's nice to see a couple of your bylines in both papers today. :wink:
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:
squishy35 wrote:Matt Carter (Ott) and Jabari Arthur (Cal) are two unsigned national receivers that may hit Wally's radar if more Cnd depth is needed in the receiving Corps.....
I'd rather see them draft and develop a rookie or perhaps junior territorial exemption Derek Yachison.

Edit: Oops. I forgot about Adekolu. Wouldn't mind seeing him get a better look. Maybe Collie leaving will open things up for him to get some playing time.
I would like to see Adekolu get a decent shot at being a starter. In the meagre amount of game time he has played in pre and regular season, I have seen him make some outstanding catches. Plus he seems very willing to fight for the tough catch. Hopefully the last 2 years he has spent on the PR has got him ready for making that next step.

While Collie had decent numbers, it seemed like we only got a small glimpse of what he was capable. But with his injury history, I have to admit I was nervous for the guy.
OV - 54:40
Champion

DanoT wrote:
OV - 54:40 wrote:Where's Lokombo supposed to line-up with both Sol-E and Bighill on the field ?
It probably won't happen but I would like to see Lokombo line up in Bighill's outside LB spot and make Bighill the nickelback/LB.

What is up with the recent CFL site report I read that had the Lions interested in Henoc Mumaba? - how does that make any sense ???

As far as draftable receiver - Brian Jones (Acadia)- seems like a bigger, faster version of Clermont - a big , athletic and sure handed receiver; might have to use the 1st round pick to get him though. Not worth it though IMO, if they only have one NI receiver (Gore) pencilled-in for playing time.
David
Team Captain

I liked Collie and would have preferred he returned. But he came for Tedford, and I believe he came to get 'tape' to showcase himself for NFL teams. I'd say his performance was meh. Good, not great. Probably not good enough to get teams excited enough to offer another audition and have them forget his concussion history. Once again, the quality of competition in this league likely surprised him.

Can't say he was "Mr. Outgoing" either. Rented a house in White Rock with his family and teammate Lavelle Hawkins, but mostly seemed to keep to himself. Very guarded with the media too.

Just my :2cents:.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV - 54:40 wrote:
DanoT wrote:
OV - 54:40 wrote:Where's Lokombo supposed to line-up with both Sol-E and Bighill on the field ?
It probably won't happen but I would like to see Lokombo line up in Bighill's outside LB spot and make Bighill the nickelback/LB.

What is up with the recent CFL site report I read that had the Lions interested in Henoc Mumaba? - how does that make any sense ???
Didn't hear about that and had to go digging into unrelated articles to find it. Article was written by "CFL Staff" and basically offered a retweet from another anonymous source. I don't put a lot of stock into such spitballing but would submit that if it were to happen it would mean one of SolE and Biggie is going to be dealt or they see him potentially being converted to rush end.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Qman
Champion

they didn't really pursue any canadians hard in FA.
Wally's plan all along was to go with
3 on oline
1 WR

2 playing in Front seven (westernan, menard, lokombo rotating based on defence)
1 safety

If they signed muamba it would basically strengthen their depth at LB in what they are planning.
Then every position, except C they have Cdn depth. If they could draft a cdn C or DL to be a backup in the first round it would be good.
Champion

Qman wrote:they didn't really pursue any canadians hard in FA.
3 on oline
1 WR

1 safety

If they signed muamba it would basically strengthen their depth at LB in what they are planning.
Then every position, except C they have Cdn depth. If they could draft a cdn C or DL to be a backup in the first round it would be good.

I think you may be right there with regards to the pencilling-in of only 7 NIs. Pretty limited/myopic thinking by Wally, but, CFL typical - most teams do the same. However - have to think Muamba would command very big CFL buck$ so he isn't going to be signed as just a "depth" guy for starter money. However, wonder if a 3-4 with Sol-E, Bighill, Lokombo & Muamba would fly? - pretty talented group of linebackers, but does one of them have to be a smaller cover type LB in a 3-4 now?
Qman
Champion

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Qman wrote:they didn't really pursue any canadians hard in FA.
3 on oline
1 WR

1 safety

I think you may be right there with regards to the pencilling-in of only 7 NIs. Pretty limited/myopic thinking by Wally, but, CFL typical - most teams do the same. However - have to think Muamba would command very big CFL buck$ so he isn't going to be signed as just a "depth" guy for starter money. However, wonder if a 3-4 with Sol-E, Bighill, Lokombo & Muamba would fly? - pretty talented group of linebackers, but does one of them have to be a smaller cover type LB in a 3-4 now?
if they signed muamba, one of biggie or soli would be shipped out for sure due to the cap. Lokombo would be the depth guy. right now i assume lokombo would be playing AHE's position this year.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I think one or two guys from the CFL draft will make this team. They need more depth for sure, especially at receiver.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JohnnyMusso wrote:I think one or two guys from the CFL draft will make this team. They need more depth for sure, especially at receiver.
I agree that receiver is the position most in need of Canadian depth. Gore and Iannuzzi are dependable veterans and I like what I've seen of Adekolu in training camp and preseason but he has one catch in two seasons and was limited to special teams duty last year with Collie and Gore getting most of the reps on offence.

Standard practice in the CFL has been to load up the offence with Canadian starters and the defence with Americans. Teams have been known to start six Canadians on offence and only one on defence. I would be surprised if the Lions try to start three Canadians on defence this year. Wally and Mark Washington are conservative defensive coaches. The Lions played five Canadian starters on offence last year and two on defence. I expect them to do the same this year, using one more Canadian offensive lineman to make up for the loss of Andrew Harris at RB. The fourth and fifth receivers would remain Canadian positions. Drafting a WR who could compete for a roster spot would certainly help.
Qman
Champion

JohnnyMusso wrote:I think one or two guys from the CFL draft will make this team. They need more depth for sure, especially at receiver.
i'd prefer them take OL or DL with their first few picks (preference for a C), then use later picks on a bunch of receivers.
Champion

There's quite a few good receiver prospects IMO (including a couple of sleeper types who weren't at the main CFL Combine), and maybe a couple of blue-chippers (Smith (Iowa) & Jones (Acadia) who might go early this draft. But pretty sure there will still be some good receiver prospects in the mid to later rounds - meaning Wally could go after a top O-lineman with his 1st round pick, maybe get a D-lineman next and still land a decent receiver in the later rounds.
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
I agree that receiver is the position most in need of Canadian depth. Gore and Iannuzzi are dependable veterans and I like what I've seen of Adekolu in training camp and preseason but he has one catch in two seasons and was limited to special teams duty last year with Collie and Gore getting most of the reps on offence.

Standard practice in the CFL has been to load up the offence with Canadian starters and the defence with Americans. Teams have been known to start six Canadians on offence and only one on defence. I would be surprised if the Lions try to start three Canadians on defence this year. Wally and Mark Washington are conservative defensive coaches. The Lions played five Canadian starters on offence last year and two on defence. I expect them to do the same this year, using one more Canadian offensive lineman to make up for the loss of Andrew Harris at RB. The fourth and fifth receivers would remain Canadian positions. Drafting a WR who could compete for a roster spot would certainly help.

Some teams might be willing to break-out of the only 7 NIs CFL standard thinking mold this season.

The Argos started 8 NIs pretty well most of last year I believe including 4 on defence, and with the acquistion of FA Josh Bourke at OT might be able to go with 9 NI starters.

With the Bombers adding Andrew Harris, that might get them to 5 NIs starters on O; and they had 3 NI regulars on D last year (Westerman at DE, Hurl at MLB and Bucknor at corner) plus have added Canadian DT Shologan = they might go with 9 NI starters overall as well.

Draft well, sign some good Canadian FAs = you have this opportunity and flexibility.