Elimimian on track to make impact right away

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Matt Baker
Rookie

I spoke with Solomon Elimimian at the facility this week. He gave an update on his recovery and talked about the coming season.

http://www.bclions.com/2016/04/01/elimimian-on-track/
Last edited by Matt Baker on Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Matt Baker
Rookie

Link fixed in original post as well.
David
Team Captain

Great job, Matt. This is way more insightful, in-depth content than we've seen in the past.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Solly. Everyone will be worried about him potentially having "lost a step" (as is the case with many players having torn their Achilles). But even Solly at 80% or 90% is still an impact player. He was CFL MOP for a reason, and it's not all to do with speed.

Interestingly, I sat beside a CFL starter on a flight I took on Wednesday. We chatted at length about the league. He is not that sold on the BC Lions. Thinks Jennings will suffer from the sophomore slump, said there's not much at receiver after Manny. I said, "but we just signed Nick Moore as a FA," to which he replied, "he's over-rated." Doesn't like our defense either. Not that impressed with our D-line, wonders how Solly will perform again, and said our defensive backfield is just "okay." He also thinks Wally could be gone after this year. I disagreed with him of course. :wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Matt Baker
Rookie

David wrote:Great job, Matt. This is way more insightful, in-depth content than we've seen in the past.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Solly. Everyone will be worried about him potentially having "lost a step" (as is the case with many players having torn their Achilles). But even Solly at 80% or 90% is still an impact player. He was CFL MOP for a reason, and it's not all to do with speed.

Interestingly, I sat beside a CFL starter on a flight I took on Wednesday. We chatted at length about the league. He is not that sold on the BC Lions. Thinks Jennings will suffer from the sophomore slump, said there's not much at receiver after Manny. I said, "but we just signed Nick Moore as a FA," to which he replied, "he's over-rated." Doesn't like our defense either. Not that impressed with our D-line, wonders how Solly will perform again, and said our defensive backfield is just "okay." He also thinks Wally could be gone after this year. I disagreed with him of course. :wink:

Appreciate it David. It has been a fun learning process, and the plan is to start doing even more content once camp/the season begins. Likely lots of video and perhaps podcasts. Interesting convo you had by the sounds of it. Understandable that some might not be sold, simply because Calgary and Edmonton will have to be overtaken and that's not easy. But anything can happen. I like the makeup of this roster. As for the Moore signing, I think he will benefit from being back in a place he had much more success.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

David wrote:Great job, Matt. This is way more insightful, in-depth content than we've seen in the past.

I take it he's not a member of the Lions. :wink:
David
Team Captain

Haha, nope. Not a member of the Lions.

The only 'knock' on Moore (if you want to call it that) is that he keeps getting injured. I really like his hands and shiftiness. He is a silky smooth route runner that will probably have very good rapport with Jennings as they both attended the same high school.

I told this veteran CFLer that he didn't have anyone to throw to him in Winnipeg, to which he answered, "Drew Willy is a very good quarterback." I said, "yes, but he was injured most of last year." (me: 1, player: 0) lol.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

In one of Matt's artilcles we heard from Neil McAvoy that the Lions' roster is pretty well set for this year. And that fits with Wally's ways. Stay the course. Stand somewhat pat. Avoid radical changes. Any change tends to be gradual. Take the conservative approach. Et cetera. As noted that approach builds stability. And that in turn is great if you are on top. But we are not on top as a team.

Our O Line has been a schmozzle for years. Our receivers do not look to be at the top level, although they all show potential. Andrew Harris will not be in our backfield. Our D Line showed some potential, but there are question marks. Rush end? I agree with the CFL starter David mentions that our DBs are just OK.

So the CFL starter is not sold on the Lions. I expect the media will not have us ranked near the top of the league either. And, aside from the roster, there is the matter of the coaching. Whether Wally as a coach can still cut it at the highest level.

Win-loss results in the middle of the pack might be reasonable expectations for us. But ya never know. We have seen fast turnarounds in the CFL, the latest being the Eskimos under Chris Jones. But Jones is dynamic, to say the least. He is radical in his approach. Wally takes a much slower road to change.

We do have hope, however. A lot depends on Jennings. BTW, Matt Sekeres had Jennings contract situation on his issue board, but I did not see the discussion. It would have been interesting. Anybody catch the talk?

Just IMO ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

While I agree that Wally is conservative and slow to change, he did make the Lions a lot younger team in a hurry. One of the reasons that the D line and DBs don't get a whole lot of respect is that most of them have not been in the league long enough to be very well known. I like the up side with these guys and combined with the Lions second to none LBs, this could be an effective D, that is if Washington and Wally don't play conservative afraid to loose football.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Matt Baker wrote:Appreciate it David. It has been a fun learning process, and the plan is to start doing even more content once camp/the season begins. Likely lots of video and perhaps podcasts. Interesting convo you had by the sounds of it. Understandable that some might not be sold, simply because Calgary and Edmonton will have to be overtaken and that's not easy. But anything can happen. I like the makeup of this roster. As for the Moore signing, I think he will benefit from being back in a place he had much more success.
I echo David's kudos as well Matt. Very encouraging to see you on board and the Lions realize this is the route to go with their online content, especially in this era of media coverage or lack of it. This is following a similar path with what the now retired Clare Farnsworth did for the Seahawks and Greg Johns for the Mariners.
OV - 54:40
Champion

David wrote:Haha, nope. Not a member of the Lions.

The only 'knock' on Moore (if you want to call it that) is that he keeps getting injured. I really like his hands and shiftiness. He is a silky smooth route runner that will probably have very good rapport with Jennings as they both attended the same high school.

I told this veteran CFLer that he didn't have anyone to throw to him in Winnipeg, to which he answered, "Drew Willy is a very good quarterback." I said, "yes, but he was injured most of last year." (me: 1, player: 0) lol.

Disagree on Moore - the main knock on him should be his very iffy hands - drops wayyy too many passes; some big play potential though. I'd agree with your CFLer on him being over-rated (and big-time IMO).
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV - 54:40 wrote:
David wrote:Haha, nope. Not a member of the Lions.

Disagree on Moore - the main knock on him should be his very iffy hands - drops wayyy too many passes; some big play potential though. I'd agree with your CFLer on him being over-rated (and big-time IMO).
He does have that rep for sure yet last year before he got dinged up again he was leading the league in 2nd down conversion receptions. After week 5 he had 12 and was 2 ahead of any other receiver.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Lionsfan65
Starter

I think the lions will be a lot better than many people would want to believe.
DB: pretty solid group, Lee and Yell have both gotten better every year, Fraser is a good safety. The only question is at the field corner.
LB: probably the best of any one position group in the league, even if Elimimian is only 80%.
DL: again solid with Brooks and Minter in the middle, but we need a good rush end.

QB: Jennings has shown that he can get it done, and we have Lulay to mentor him. Should Jennings fail in any way I still have confidence that Lulay can step in and get the job done.
RB: looks good with a few big American backs. Johnson was good in the few games he played last year.
WR: we have 3 really good receivers in Arceneaux, Moore and Hawkins.
OL: This is the biggest question mark by far, they don't have to be outstanding, just keep Jennings upright and give him enough time to throw.

ST: Rainey is a great returner, Leone has a big leg, just needs to work on his accuracy.
squishy35
Legend

Lionsfan65 wrote:I think the lions will be a lot better than many people would want to believe.
DB: pretty solid group, Lee and Yell have both gotten better every year, Fraser is a good safety. The only question is at the field corner.
LB: probably the best of any one position group in the league, even if Elimimian is only 80%.
DL: again solid with Brooks and Minter in the middle, but we need a good rush end.

QB: Jennings has shown that he can get it done, and we have Lulay to mentor him. Should Jennings fail in any way I still have confidence that Lulay can step in and get the job done.
RB: looks good with a few big American backs. Johnson was good in the few games he played last year.
WR: we have 3 really good receivers in Arceneaux, Moore and Hawkins.
OL: This is the biggest question mark by far, they don't have to be outstanding, just keep Jennings upright and give him enough time to throw.

ST: Rainey is a great returner, Leone has a big leg, just needs to work on his accuracy.

I think Brian Burnham is a very underrated receiver in the corps... I expect big things from him this season. With Anthony Allen and Jeremiah Johnson added to the backfield we have huge potential for screens and more effective blocking for pass plays.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

squishy35 wrote:

I think Brian Burnham is a very underrated receiver in the corps... I expect big things from him this season. With Anthony Allen and Jeremiah Johnson added to the backfield we have huge potential for screens and more effective blocking for pass plays.
Bryan Burnham and Nick Moore are similar players. They are smooth route runners with identical size (6'2, 195 lbs.).
Moore caught 68.5% of his targets last year, averaged 11.8 yards per catch and had 4 TDs, 24 second-down catches for a first down and 3 catches of over 30 yards in 16 games.
Burnham caught 67.3% of his targets, averaged 12.1 yards per catch and had 2 TDs, 9 second-down catches for a first down and 2 catches of over 30 yards in 11 games.
Moore is three years older at 29 but both should have several prime years ahead of them. The trouble is they're both natural slotbacks. I'm not sure there's room for two of them on the field if Arceneaux is in the other slot. I prefer Moore if he's healthy.