Obie back in the Den......

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

squishy35
Legend

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/03/08/buono-lion ... nt-office/

Lions' scouting just got a whole lot better.
CardiacKid
Legend

Obie certainly has the pedigree when it comes to finding those diamonds in the rough. I am curious though how this plays out in regards to the operational staffing in comparison to last year? Are Obie and Diedrick extra hands on deck or are they replacing someone? Certainly looks like Geroy is being groomed for some further steps up the organizational ladder.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Excellent move by the Lions to bring back Obie :thup: :thup:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:Excellent move by the Lions to bring back Obie :thup: :thup:
Obie has been above average in every capacity that he has worked in the CFL: player, HC, scout, GM.

Good to read that the Lions are going to continue with a quality control guy, something that Tedford added last season. For those that might not know, the quality control guy breaks down game film into segments that different players depending on position can use for game preparation and opponent study. I guess in the past the assistant coaches would spend time breaking down vids and maybe spend less time actually going over the vid clips with the players.
Qman
Champion

DanoT wrote:
TheLionKing wrote:Excellent move by the Lions to bring back Obie :thup: :thup:
Obie has been above average in every capacity that he has worked in the CFL: player, HC, scout, GM.

Good to read that the Lions are going to continue with a quality control guy, something that Tedford added last season. For those that might not know, the quality control guy breaks down game film into segments that different players depending on position can use for game preparation and opponent study. I guess in the past the assistant coaches would spend time breaking down vids and maybe spend less time actually going over the vid clips with the players.

lions will have video operations dept for that. I believe justin coderre and team are still there. i believe bclionsden.ca did a story on them a few years ago.

i know that the stamps have a 3-person video dept. The are responsible for producing and editing all game and practice footage for the football operations and compile all video requirements for the CFL Canadian Draft and US free agents. They also - in their own time free of charge -- produce game film on all calgary high school football.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:Obie certainly has the pedigree when it comes to finding those diamonds in the rough. I am curious though how this plays out in regards to the operational staffing in comparison to last year? Are Obie and Diedrick extra hands on deck or are they replacing someone? Certainly looks like Geroy is being groomed for some further steps up the organizational ladder.
Cutting to the chase Obie's job amounts to that of a regional scout.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Cutting to the chase Obie's job amounts to that of a regional scout.
If memory serves, Obie wanted to travel less and deal more with the scouting, player personnel in Ontario, which was part of the reason he left to begin with.

I like Obie a lot. Trust his instincts and am glad to have him back in the Den.

As for Quality Control, I thought that the club always had someone on staff who was Quality Control (didn't Kelly Bates do it for awhile in addition to the draft?). That, along with self scouting, is a position clubs can't have enough of, in my opinion. By all means, invest in that staff please, but have someone in the room with enough respect to get us to break some of our bad habits, you know?