2016 Schedule released. Here it is.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

VictoriaFan
Starter

may have to hop a ferry for the Sept.9 game
BC 1988
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:Big thumbs up from me. Only downer is pre season games are bad enough never mind the exact same two teams meeting a week later in the same venue. Can it somehow be even more vanilla than usual?
Agree that 2 games vs CGY in a row at home is a bit much.
Otherwise, it's a much better sked than last year.

Skulsky was interviewed today on 1040 (early in the 1pm hour), and he said they paid attention to the email survey responses. He also said that there were a lot of fans saying they want halftime entertainment and that the UW Husky Marching Band would be returning.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

BC 1988 wrote: Skulsky was interviewed today on 1040 (early in the 1pm hour), and he said they paid attention to the email survey responses. He also said that there were a lot of fans saying they want halftime entertainment and that the UW Husky Marching Band would be returning.
:thup: :thup:
David
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:.....Only downer is pre season games are bad enough never mind the exact same two teams meeting a week later in the same venue. Can it somehow be even more vanilla than usual?
I wouldn't mind a return to UBC for the preseason game, so as not to illicit a "deja-vu" experience for the home opener. I would classify last year's game at the Point Grey campus as an unqualified success (despite my reservations prior to the game, and despite the final score). The Esks might view it differently as they were not too impressed with having to schlep up and down a hill and change in portable trailers etc., but the atmosphere at UBC was terrific!

I would manage a better integration with the UBC football program this time 'round and celebrate their championship at half-time. Word of mouth from the great experience last year and a good showing in the first preseason game could put the crowd count in the 10K range this time.

Just a thought.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:Big thumbs up from me. Only downer is pre season games are bad enough never mind the exact same two teams meeting a week later in the same venue. Can it somehow be even more vanilla than usual?
For me it doesn't matter. I haven't gone to an exhibition game since 1983 and only went then because it was the first ever Lions game in BC Place. Lions get a couple of back-to-backs later in the season. Only difference here is that both are at home. Given one is an exhibition game it'll be like two different teams are playing the 2nd game than the 1st.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

One of the better schedules in recent years. I agree that back-to-back home games against Calgary to end pre-season and open the regular season is a bad idea. It seems that the regular season more times than not opens against one of our pre-season opponents. Why? You only play 2 pre-season games so why not start the regular season against one of the other division rivals? There is nothing about a pre-season game that gets you hyped about playing a back-to-back to star the regular season. In fact I think it hurts the purpose of pre-season games because teams are not going to show everything if they know they have to play those same guys for real next week.

I would also like to see the Lions play their pre-season "home" game elsewhere in BC. I think playing before 8-10,000 people in a temporarily expanded facility in Kamloops, Kelowna or Victoria would net bigger returns in the long run than playing before 15,000 at BC Place. Especially when most of those tickets are forced on ST holders many of whom would likely opt out if they had a choice.
Lionsfan65
Starter

I like the schedule this year. Two games against Calgary are not a big deal. Preseason doesn't really count for anything and I would expect that the Stamps will not be as good as they have been the past couple of years without Huff on the sidelines.

Back to back games against Saskatchewan to end the year I would say would be more of a concern. By that point Chris Jones should have the Riders playing pretty well, also considering that the first game is in Saskatchewan and is the last game at Taylor Field the Riders, and the fans will be pretty hyped for that one.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Those back to back pre-season games will be more boring than normal. Both teams will be showing nothing in those games in preparation for the regular season.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Having the second preseason game at home means we'll see the starters for at least 30 minutes, so the quality of play should be higher than in the first preseason game in Saskatchewan, where everyone will get a bit of playing time before the first cutdown date.
leo4life
All Star

Week 1 matchup:Bouno vs Dickenson in the HC department....can Bouno match wits with Dickenson although a rookie HC he could own it much like Huff owned BC and went 3-0 in playoff match ups
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Vancouver Canucks have released their 2016-2017 schedule and there are no direct home conflicts with the Lions. Their home opener is Saturday, Oct. 15. The Lions have a home game the previous night against Winnipeg.

A couple of football/hockey TV doubleheaders are in store for the following two Saturdays. The Lions have a home game Saturday, Oct. 22 at 4 p.m. against Edmonton, and the Canucks are on the road in L.A. at 7 p.m. The following Saturday, Oct. 29, the Lions play in Saskatchewan at 4 p.m. and the Canucks play at home against Washington at 7 p.m.

The only direct conflict for TV viewers is on Saturday, Nov. 5 when the Lions close out the regular season at home against Saskatchewan at 4 p.m. and the Canucks play in Toronto at the same time.

As for the playoffs, the Canucks have a home game on Sunday, Nov. 13 at 1 p.m. against Dallas. That would go directly against the CFL West Division semifinal at 1:30 p.m.
footballtom
Rookie

B.C.FAN wrote:The Vancouver Canucks have released their 2016-2017 schedule and there are no direct home conflicts with the Lions. Their home opener is Saturday, Oct. 15. The Lions have a home game the previous night against Winnipeg.

A couple of football/hockey TV doubleheaders are in store for the following two Saturdays. The Lions have a home game Saturday, Oct. 22 at 4 p.m. against Edmonton, and the Canucks are on the road in L.A. at 7 p.m. The following Saturday, Oct. 29, the Lions play in Saskatchewan at 4 p.m. and the Canucks play at home against Washington at 7 p.m.

The only direct conflict for TV viewers is on Saturday, Nov. 5 when the Lions close out the regular season at home against Saskatchewan at 4 p.m. and the Canucks play in Toronto at the same time.

As for the playoffs, the Canucks have a home game on Sunday, Nov. 13 at 1 p.m. against Dallas. That would go directly against the CFL West Division semifinal at 1:30 p.m.

I am not worried about conflicts anymore with the canucks if the Lions are winning and the canucks suck that would be a very easy decision what game to watch.