CFL Draft 2016, May 10, 4pm PT

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

The Blaszko who CFL fans see step onto the field this summer, though, will be bigger, faster and stronger. He’s spent the better part of the last six months slaving away at the gym and says his time at the Giants’ camp has given him some perspective on the areas of his game that still need work.

“It’s just polishing certain things, like cutting and route-running,” Blazko said. “There really wasn’t that big a difference (between himself and the others at Giants camp) and that’s motivated me. I’ll have that in the back of my mind going forward to try to get back to that point.”
“Brett’s an outstanding athlete, he has incredible football talent,” said Dinos head coach Wayne Harris Jr. “He definitely has great hands and he’s deceptively fast. He doesn’t look like he’s running that fast but then you see him running past people and you know he’s quick.”
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hope Blaszko can combine his physical assets with an attitude like first round pick Brian Jones, namely enjoy steamrolling DBs and blocking downfield. The Lions need a tough receiver, not just someone who can take a hit but also dish it out....make those little DBs keep their heads on a swivel.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Dillon Guy.

I like the sound of this pick too.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/04/28/ca ... dillon-guy
Calgary Stampeders work out wildcard offensive line prospect Dillon Guy

Scott Mitchell
By Scott Mitchell, Calgary Sun
First posted: Thursday, April 28, 2016 06:34 PM MDT | Updated: Friday, April 29, 2016 12:44 PM MDT

DillonGuy0429 Dillon Guy is eager to prove that he's the top offensive lineman at the CFL draft, since recovering from a season-ending knee injury last fall during his final year with the University of Buffalo. (Courtesy University of Buffalo Athletic Department)

If there’s one characteristic normally associated with offensive lineman, it’s toughness in the trenches.

The reason Dillon Guy is a wildcard heading into the 2016 CFL Draft is also the same play he’s showing teams as an example of that toughness.

Now five months removed from reconstructive knee surgery, Guy actually had no idea he tore up his ACL last October during his final season as the University of Buffalo last October as a fifth-year senior.

“The adrenaline’s going and everything, so I get up and I’m like, ’Alright, I just got rolled up on,’” Guy recalled of the play against the University of Miami (Ohio) and fellow Canadian Mitchell Winters. “I get up after this thing happened to my knee and I’m cussing and pissed, so I play the next play and my buddy Mitch is looking at me like, ’You alright, Dillon?’ I’m like, ’Yeah, I’m fine, let’s just play,’ and he’s like, ’No, you’re not. Your knee brace is in your knee.’”

The 6-foot-4, 318-lb., Hamilton-born offensive lineman wasn’t fine.

“My knee brace broke and I had two barbs in my knee and I was bleeding,” Guy said. “The ref looks and sees the blood and is like, ’You need to get off the field.’ I walk off the field and they check my knee and say something’s not right.”

Little did he know, he had a Grade 3 MCL tear and a completely torn ACL that would quickly end his final season with the Bulls once it was diagnosed.

From there, Guy’s focused turned to getting ready for the three-down draft, and thanks to a ultra-quick rehab process, he’s now on a tour of CFL cities to prove to teams that he’s healthy and worthy of an early pick.

His goal is to prove he’s the top offensive lineman in the draft, something that was completely realistic until the injury bug intervened.

“You really can’t tell I’ve had a knee injury,” said Guy, who worked out for the Stampeders and offensive line coach Pat DelMonaco at McMahon Stadium on Thursday afternoon. “Teams won’t show their cards right before the draft, but we’ll see what it holds.

“I’m ready now. I’m full go for training camp. Every doctor has said they’ve had no problems. Winnipeg’s doctors and Calgary’s doctors both looked at me and said, ’Yeah, you’re going to be ready,’ so the injury’s not a factor anymore.”

Guy’s film from his five partial seasons at the University of Buffalo show a versatile player capable of playing all three interior positions, including centre, which will have numerous teams interested due to his snapping ability.

But those topics are secondary to his health.

“Everyone asks about the knee,” Guy said. “I simply just tell them, ’Hey, you saw the knee, but did you see what I did after? Tell me how many guys stand up and go back to the huddle instead of rolling around asking for a trainer.’

“I don’t know if it’s a high pain tolerance, just more of my love for football. I’ve always had the feeling that no one’s ever carrying me off the field. I walk off the field under my own power.”

It’s that type of lunch-bucket mentality that will endear teams.

The bloodlines — Guy’s father, Shawn, played football at Purdue University and had a cup of coffee with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats — are of interest, as well.

Even though he went to school close to home, Guy’s family only has one priority when it comes to where he lands.

“I don’t really think too much about it and he doesn’t really think too much about it,” Guy said of the Hamilton connection. “He’s just laughing and he says, ’Find a place where it’s good fishing.”

Guy’s next stop is Friday’s workout in front of Wally Buono and the B.C. Lions, with the Ticats, Toronto Argos and Saskatchewan Roughriders (on May 9, the day before the draft) also scheduled.

He doesn’t care who picks him.

“I’m a guy who always has his bags packed and is ready to go,” Guy said. “I’ve told every team, as soon as you draft me let’s get the contract dealt with within two days and let’s fly out and get right into football. That’s just the way it is. That’s not just me talking what they want to hear, that’s just the type of person I am.”

EXTRA POINTS

The Stampeders signed a trio of receivers Thursday. The biggest name of the signees — all of whom attended the team’s mini-camp in Florida earlier this month — is Canadian pass-catcher Matthew Norzil, who was a fourth-round pick of the Toronto Argonauts in last year’s draft, before catching on with the Stamps late in the season. Also inking deals were Josh Harper, a 6-foot-1, 185-pounder out of Fresno State University, and Jamal Nixon, a 5-foot-11, 215-pounder out of Division II University of Arkansas-Monticello.
“I don’t really think too much about it and he doesn’t really think too much about it,” Guy said of the Hamilton connection. “He’s just laughing and he says, ’Find a place where it’s good fishing.”

Ummm ... Yeah. Perhaps the best in the world. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://www.ubbullrun.com/2016/3/23/1127 ... all-league
2016 CFL Draft: Where will Dillon Guy go in the Canadian Football League?

By Tim Riordan  @UBBullRun on Mar 23, 2016, 3:59a +

There are two drafts UB fans should be watching this year. The first is the NFL where a few Bulls have the potential to be late round picks or free agents. The other is the Canadian Football League where five Bulls are already playing professionally.

The 2016 CFL Draft will take place on Tuesday May 10. 61 players will be chosen from Canadian Universities, as well as Canadian players playing in the NCAA.

The last Bull drafted into the CFL was Natey Adjei, a first round pick by the the Toronto Argonauts after his junior season at Buffalo. The others in the league were all

Adjei joined the Argos after finishing his UB career and after a couple of seasons signed on with the Edmonton Eskimos.

That Guy will be drafted this season is a certainty, and it's also a near-given that he will go in the first round. As a Canadian National and a solid prospect on the offensive line his stock is high - at times as high as the top three before he was injured and lost a season at Buffalo.

During the combine he did enough to assuage concern about this health. Even so, he may have fallen a bit, to the later first round, after the combine.

Right now the best lineman available in the CFL draft is a toss up between Guy and Josiah St. John of Oklahoma.

The drafts boards I've seen for the CFL have offensive linemen going to the B.C. Lions (three), Hamilton (five), and Edmonton (eight).

Chances are you see Guy go to Hamilton but he could slide towards Edmonton if the scouts at the CFL combine were not convinced his knee is 100% recovered.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

UBC kicker Quinn van Glyswyk goes to Saskatchewan.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Big, mobile DL Rupert Butcher goes to Peg.

CardiacKid
Legend

Shaquille Johnson scored the 4th-fastest 40 yard-dash time ever at a combine event; 4.39 at a regional in Toronto. In comparison, Shaq Murray-Lawrence scored the 6th fastest time ever in 2015 at 4.41. According to CFL Scouting and their ranking, Dillon Guy was the 2nd best offensive lineman available in this draft. Pretty good scores for the 4th round I would have to say.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

In the opinion of this fan, Wally and his guys did a nice job with the draft. Solid picks early and middle. :thup:

IMO the best teams, with the best judgment and decision making, do better in the draft, year after year. IMO that makes it not a crapshoot.

Gambling --> crapshoot.

Shaky judgment --> crapshoot.

NFL signings --> crapshoot.

Taking guys much higher than consensus --> crapshoot.

Whimsical picks (way off the map, etc.) --> crapshoot or worse.

Just IMO ...

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

According to Mike Beamish, it looks like the Lions plan to groom Vaillancourt as a future centre.
Vaillancourt’s line coach at Laval, Carl Brennan, has been invited to the Lions’ training camp this year in Kamloops as a guest coach.

“I know Carl likes Dan Dorazio (the Lions’ offensive line coach) a lot,” Vaillancourt said. “He teaches a lot of Dan’s techniques, which is great. I’m going to know a lot more now. Carl Brennan and coach Dorazio are pretty much the same. It’s good for me. Having Carl there is going to be incredible.”

Having released import centre Jason Foster, the Lions traded a fifth-round pick to the Tiger-Cats earlier this year for 36-year-old centre Tim O’Neill. Vaillancourt, who played primarily at right guard for Laval, will likely be groomed to play O’Neill’s position down the road.

“Oh, yes, for sure (the Lions have talked to him about it),” Vaillancourt said. “I’ve played centre all my CEGEP (junior college). I’ve played centre at the East-West Bowl. I’m comfortable there. I just need to work on my craft.”
Lions ‘take risk’ in picking top lineman Charles Vaillancourt in CFL draft
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://3downnation.com/2016/05/10/16123/

From Lowell Ullrich ...
Lions think they pushed right CFL draft buttons this time

Posted on May 10, 2016 by Lowell Ullrich // 0 Comments

At first glance, there’s a sameness about the players selected by the B.C. Lions in the latest instalment of the CFL’s Canadian college draft. After all, these guys have gone down a similar path before.

A top pick who is about to get on a plane Thursday in an attempt to make an NFL roster. Another offensive lineman who has been hobbled in the past with knee problems. Sound familiar?

It does, but there’s something different about the way general manager Wally Buono went about flushing out his training camp roster Tuesday to lead even some of their most disloyal followers to think there’s hope for the future.
Disloyal followers? Ha ha ... Pretty quiet here on LB.

Vaillancourt is a top talent. In some quarters maybe even the top talent. A tryout with the Raiders, after a failed tryout with the Giants? One has to expect some kicking of the tires by both parties with the guys at the top.
Dillon Guy, one of the more intriguing available picks who was finally snapped up by the Lions in the fourth round, may not fully recover from the severe knee and leg problems which derailed his college career at the University of Buffalo, as outlined on 3DownNation.com previously.
Highly rated. We will see about his recovery.

Possibly two top specimens for the OL science lab of Dan Dorazio.
No Ese Mrabure-Ajufo or Brett Boyko-like picks this time. Buono would like to think he’s regained his touch.
“There were risks associated with this draft, just as there was last year. The players we took last year were for the right reasons,” said Buono, who had Guy put through a thorough examination by Dr. Bob MacCormack when he visited the Lions 10 days ago. “I think the players we selected this time will be for the right reasons too.”
Right reasons last year? In Wally's mind, yes. They are usually the right reasons in the minds of the deciders. Others might disagree.
“I wanted to get drafted by the team that will give me the best opportunity and if the B.C. Lions drafted me its because they know I can be an impact player,” said Vaillancourt, who’ll have his Laval position coach, Carl Brennan, at Lions training camp later this month as a guest coach to ease the transition. “For sure, I’m not mad or disappointed that I’m not closer to home.”
Pumped on the draft. Excellent.
There were still a couple of head-scratching moments, especially when the Lions traded away the 30th overall pick only to require it again moments later, which gave them eight choices overall.

That not only cost them a chance to take UBC linebacker Terrell Davis and kicker Quinn Van Glyswyk, who was B.C.’s potential fourth-round pick before he was snapped up by Saskatchewan, one of five Thunderbirds to benefit from their Vanier Cup success and earn draft selections Tuesday.
Curious. "Curiouser and curiouser," to quote Alice.

Van Glyswyk would have been a good one for us. True that.

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:
No Ese Mrabure-Ajufo or Brett Boyko-like picks this time. Buono would like to think he’s regained his touch.
“There were risks associated with this draft, just as there was last year. The players we took last year were for the right reasons,” said Buono, who had Guy put through a thorough examination by Dr. Bob MacCormack when he visited the Lions 10 days ago. “I think the players we selected this time will be for the right reasons too.”
Right reasons last year? In Wally's mind, yes. They are usually the right reasons in the minds of the deciders. Others might disagree.
I'll reserve my final judgement on EMA for later this season. As for Boyko I still like that gamble. He's still in tough to stick with the Eagles given their offseason moves and draft. If he doesn't he could wind up here as early as September. Boyko was the #2 ranked player in last year's draft behind Covington. BC could suddenly be loaded with top end Nat prospects on the OL; Vaillancourt, Guy, Boyko, Steward, Fabien and Player if he develops. At 25 Fabien is the old fart in the group. That is of course assuming Vaillancourt doesn't land a deal in Oakland and Guy's knee is good to go.
WestCoastJoe wrote:
There were still a couple of head-scratching moments, especially when the Lions traded away the 30th overall pick only to require it again moments later, which gave them eight choices overall.

That not only cost them a chance to take UBC linebacker Terrell Davis and kicker Quinn Van Glyswyk, who was B.C.’s potential fourth-round pick before he was snapped up by Saskatchewan, one of five Thunderbirds to benefit from their Vanier Cup success and earn draft selections Tuesday.
Curious. "Curiouser and curiouser," to quote Alice.

Van Glyswyk would have been a good one for us. True that.
Nothing curious about the trade whatsoever other than some optics. Obviously both trades were totally separate entities only made possible because the players Hamilton wanted, Revenberg at 3 and Terrell Davis at 21, were still available when BC was on the clock in each respective slot. When the first deal was made Hamilton had no way of predicting a desire to make the 2nd deal thus weren't going to throw the extra pick in at that point. As things unfolded for BC to get Davis and Van Glyswyk they had to take them at 21 and 23 and not make the second deal with Hamilton. Of course they no longer had 30 after the first deal and would not be picking again until 48. So yes they could've wound up with Davis and QVG at the expense of Blazko, Guy and Johnson. I'll admit to being somewhat disappointed when the Riders took QVG as I thought at that point it was looking good for him to be available at 30 but am more than happy it turned out the way it did.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

Justin Dunk, he of the "Mock Draft"', rated the Lions as the winners of this year's draft. He rates all the teams over at 3downNation.com.

http://wp.me/p65Ld4-4bZ

I thought it rather interesting he rated the Eskimoes as having the worst draft, having only 6 picks and using 2 of them on guys they don't realistically expect to have within their ranks anytime soon.

Meanwhile, I am going to make my way over to the Philadelphia Eagles website and see if Brett Boyko's status has changed.....
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:Justin Dunk, he of the "Mock Draft"', rated the Lions as the winners of this year's draft. He rates all the teams over at 3downNation.com.....
I wonder if Mr. Dunk had his junk slapped last night. TSN and the CFL were trying to choreograph the draft for television presentation purposes. All teams were on a conference call and were supposed to keep things confidential to allow the show to unfold with Orridge announcing the picks to be followed by analysis. Dunk must've been sitting in one of the war rooms are someone was leaking the picks to him. For the first several picks Dunk was announcing them on Twitter 4 or 5 minutes before Orridge announced them on TV. Over on RF.com Dunk's tweets were being posted before they were announced on TV. Dunk was effectively making both the league, one of his defacto employers, and the host broadcaster look foolish. Not very bright on his part. Potentially a CLM (Career Limiting Maneuver).

Mike Hogan mentions it about halfway through his article today.

http://www.tsn.ca/argonauts-get-their-m ... y-1.487702
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
CardiacKid
Legend

Hambone wrote:
CardiacKid wrote:Justin Dunk, he of the "Mock Draft"', rated the Lions as the winners of this year's draft. He rates all the teams over at 3downNation.com.....
I wonder if Mr. Dunk had his junk slapped last night. TSN and the CFL were trying to choreograph the draft for television presentation purposes. All teams were on a conference call and were supposed to keep things confidential to allow the show to unfold with Orridge announcing the picks to be followed by analysis. Dunk must've been sitting in one of the war rooms are someone was leaking the picks to him. For the first several picks Dunk was announcing them on Twitter 4 or 5 minutes before Orridge announced them on TV. Over on RF.com Dunk's tweets were being posted before they were announced on TV. Dunk was effectively making both the league, one of his defacto employers, and the host broadcaster look foolish. Not very bright on his part. Potentially a CLM (Career Limiting Maneuver).

Mike Hogan mentions it about halfway through his article today.

http://www.tsn.ca/argonauts-get-their-m ... y-1.487702
It looks like Mr. Dunk is bit of a bad boy. He got suspended for game when he was the QB for the Guelph Gryphons for saying "F*ck Western" during a live game broadcast.
http://www.cisblog.ca/2009/09/football- ... for-f.html

The Score choose to not institute a 7-second delay of its broadcasts afterwards to deal with potty-mouths. But maybe it sounds like Mr. Dunk would have benefitted from a 7 minute tweet delay.
aklawitter
All Star

i disagree, we are in the age of social media, you can't just feed fans info as gospel "this is the way it is because we say so"