CFL Draft 2016, May 10, 4pm PT

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:OL for Leos.

Vaillancourt. OK. Good work, Wally.
Worked out very well I think. Got Vaillancourt plus I think getting that 4th round pick bumped up to a mid 3rd is going to prove valuable. It gives them a lot of flexibility to work the board. They have the OL they need and have 3 picks in what is now the next 16 as I write this. Loffler and Van Glyswyk can come into play.
Solid pick. Rated by some as the most pro ready OL.

Moving up in lower rounds :thup:

Butcher in round two. Hoping ... Outstanding at combine at DL.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Winnipeg picks Trent Corney defensive lineman
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

winnipeg picks Michael Couture
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Alouettes pick running back Wayne Moore
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Lions draft Anthony Thompson defensive back from Southern Illinois
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

April Scouting Bureau Ranking

1 David Onyemata DL Manitoba, Lagos, Nigeria
2 Tevaun Smith WR Iowa, Toronto, ON
3 Mehdi Abdesmad DL Boston College, Montreal, QC
4 Arjen Colquhoun DB Michigan St., Windsor, ON
5 Josiah St. John OL Oklahoma, Toronto, ON
6 Charles Vaillancourt OL Laval, Coaticook, QC
7 Alex Singleton LB Montana St., Thousand Oaks , CA
8 Trent Corney DL Virginia, Brockville, ON
9 Philippe Gagnon OL Laval, L’Ancienne-Lorette, QC
10 Brian Jones WR Acadia, Enfield, NS
11 Taylor Loffler DB UBC, Kelowna, B.C.
12 Juwan Brescacin WR Northern Illinois, Mississauga, ON
13 Mercer Timmins RB Calgary, Burlington, ON
14 Dillon Guy OL Buffalo, Hamilton, ON
15 Anthony Thompson DB Southern Illinois, Montreal, QC
16 Michael Couture OL Simon Fraser, Burnaby, BC
17 Jason Lauzon-Seguin OL Laval, Pointe-Claire, QC
18 Elie Bouka DB Calgary, Laval, QC
19 Llevi Noel WR, Windsor AKO Toronto, ON
20 Doug Corby WR Queen's, Burlington, ON
Nice and solid so far for the Leos.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Charles Vaillancourt, offensive lineman, Laval: There are plenty of good Rouge et Or linemen in this draft, but Vaillancourt (sixth in the April rankings) might be the best. He earned a prestigious Shrine Game invitation (along with Onyemata and previously-drafted Calgary centre/guard Sean McEwen), and he's projected to go first overall in Dunk's latest mock. He is a guard, not a tackle (unlike fellow Laval player Jason Lauzon-Seguin, who's also highly touted), but many see him as someone who could make a big CFL impact immediately. We'll see where he falls.
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-5 ... 41413.html

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

UBC Taylor Loffler goes to Winnipeg in 3 rd round
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Laval OL factory ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CardiacKid
Legend

I am glad Wally decided to not take a flyer with the picks so far and roll the dice like Edmonton did with Tevaun Smith. Sometimes the obvious pick is the best and Vaillancourt is going to be a starter short of some disaster such as an injury. I hope this trend of drafting a player with a somewhat realistic CFL future and not rolling the dice on players like Brett Boyko, Christian Covington, Danny Watkins or OJ Atogwe continues.

I was reading a piece by LU (I believe it is on 3rdDownNation.com) where he states the Lions enjoyed the greatest number of draft picks of all CFL teams (not sure of the timeline) but obviously not the best results. Wally has often referred to the draft as a "crap-shoot" but continuing to take a flyer on Canadian/Nationals who are likely to land in the NFL is a waste. If not for an injury, Bo Lokombo would likely be playing in the NFL and the Leos would be counting him as another lost pick.
David
Team Captain

So are we trying our best NOT to take any local kids? :bang:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Another trade between BC and Hamilton who uses the pick to choose Terrell Davis from UBC
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Terrell Davis ...

To Ham, with BC's pick.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/10/29 ... -identity/
UBC’s linebacker creates new football identity

October 29, 2015. 8:01 pm • Section: Football

Terrell Davis has made a smooth change from offence to defence with the UBC Thunderbirds. (Richard Lam, UBC athletics)

Terrell Davis has made a smooth change from offence to defence with the UBC Thunderbirds. (Richard Lam, UBC athletics)

Posted by:
Howard Tsumura

Recent Posts From This Author
Vanier Cup momentum? Coach Nill weighs in on UBC’s hiring of new AD Gilles Lepine of LavalPosted on May 7, 2016
From obscurity to 2015 Vanier Cup championship UBC’s Charles Nwoye puts shine on the diamondPosted on May 7, 2016
UBC’s sport is theatre, says ‘Birds new sports boss Lepine, a man cut from Laval’s gridiron clothPosted on May 6, 2016
NINA SCHULTZ: New West’s young phenom sits as Canada’s No. 1-ranked junior heptathletePosted on May 5, 2016

VANCOUVER — Terrell Davis admits that it was a conversation he didn’t think he’d be having when the UBC Thunderbirds hired Blake Nill, one of the most proven head coaches in all of Canadian Interuniversity Sport, to run their football ship this past winter.

Nill was conducting individual player meetings and when he summoned the former superstar running back from Victoria’s Mt. Douglas Secondary School into his office to talk about his future in blue and gold, Davis received a surprising request from his new boss.

“When I sat down with coach Nill, he ran his idea by me, he asked me if I wanted to switch,” Davis recounted Wednesday afternoon as he and the rest of his teammates began preparation for practice ahead of Saturday’s pivotal Canada West regular-season ending home game against the Manitoba Bisons.

Switch, as in go from offence to defence?

“I had never given it a thought before,” Davis continued. “I had never thought about becoming a linebacker. But I said ‘sure’ and we both agreed that it could be a good fit.”

In hindsight, Nill’s intuition was purrfect.

On Saturday, the 6-foot-1, 220-pound Davis will run out onto the field at Thunderbird Stadium wearing his familiar No. 24, but in one sense, that’s the only thing familiar as his football career, one which some think will include the CFL, continues its next chapter.

“The reason that we wanted to move Terrell to the defence was that we simply didn’t have enough depth on our roster this season,” explains Nill. “We simply couldn’t leave three or four very good athletes on the sidelines, sharing reps at tailback.”

From Nill’s standpoint, he was making his best educated guess but it was one he made based on the coachability, character and pure athleticism of the student-athlete in question.

Davis had played linebacker in high school at Mt. Douglas, but even he admits he never took it as serious as he did his position on the offence as the team’s go-to running back.

For a program that has since become the gold standard by which all other B.C. high school football programs are judged over the past half-decade plus, Davis was its driving force, putting up a combined 3,847 yards over his varsity career and scoring 48 touchdowns in the process.

He spent two frustrating seasons as a running back at Arizona State trying to climb the depth chart before former UBC head coach Shawn Olson won a huge recruiting battle to bring both he and his younger brother Marcus, to the Point Grey campus for the 2014 season.

With veteran Brandon Deschamps well established as the team’s starting running back, Davis was never able to get into the flow last season. And when a coaching change was made, Nill wasted no time in devising the most efficient way to solve the log-jam in his offensive backfield.

It worked.

Heading into Saturday’s game, Davis found himself in a three-way tie for the team’s tackling lead at 47 with fellow linebacker Mitch Barnett (North Vancouver-Handsworth) and free safety Taylor Loffler (Kelowna).

And not only has he shown a mean streak on the field, dishing punishing hit after hit, he officially stamped himself a defensive convert last Friday when he made his first collegiate interception along with a team-high 10 tackles in UBC’s 41-36 road win against the Saskatchewan Huskies.

“I would say he has been our defensive leader for the most part,” continued Nill, who as the former longtime head coach of the Calgary Dinos, had tried to recruit Davis both as a high school senior in 2012 and later in 2014 when he had left Arizona State. “Things haven’t gone by without some hiccups,” added Nill. “He is learning to play the position again, but this time with a higher accountability than he might have been used to in the past. But each and every week, you can see it. I think he is one of the top linebackers in the conference.”

Adds Davis, who has two more seasons of eligibility remaining: “The (CFL) is the main goal. I have a lot to learn and I still make mistakes. But I know that I still have a lot of room to grow.”

He is also, for the first time in his football career, playing a full-time role on the other side of the ball from Marcus, the dynamic offensive weapon who, through his rushing, receiving and return-game roles, leads the club with 947 all-purpose yards through seven games.

“Marcus and I have always played the same position (on offence),” laughed the elder Davis. “So it’s been interesting with the both of us running on and off the field at the different times. But my mom really likes it. She really watches defence now, too, and she is learning to read our defensive systems.”

From Nill’s perspective, UBC’s roster has not yet begun to approach the level of depth that the country’s elite programs, like Laval, Montreal and Calgary march out on a season-to-season basis.

And it’s for that reason that he beams with pride when talking about the level of play the core of the team has been able to perform at on its way to winning three straight games and five of its last six following a conference-opening 49-16 loss at Calgary on Sept. 4.

“We’re in a situation this season where we’re operating at about a 60 per cent capacity in our program,” Nill said. “We don’t have the depth, and so the young men who have gutted it out are becoming very well-schooled in what it takes to win. They are going through a school of hard knocks, and through this whole transition, Terrell has never relinquished. In my opinion, he is going to be a professional athlete because he plays the game the right way.”

None of that is news to his high school coach.

“He really helped set the transition for us at Mt. Douglas,” said Mark Townsend. “And he’s been able to make this switch because he is so humble and so hard working. It’s been seamless. And I’m not surprised. If anyone was going to be able to make something like this happen, it was Terrell. He rolls up his sleeves when there’s a challenge and he runs with it.”

Only in this case, it’s come with a bit of a change in direction.

“At first it was a little confusing, moving backwards instead of forward,” Davis laughed.

Sure, there might be some back-pedalling involved these days, but as far as Terrell Davis’ career is concerned, a few steps back have been accompanied by a whole lot more forward.
BTW, what a coup for UBC and BC football fans that we got Blake Nill for the program.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

BC pick Brett Blazko receiver in 3rd round.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Brett Blaszko.

I like the sound of this pick. Great size. Loves the CFL, not an NFL wannabe. Comfortable at NFL workout. Fast.

6'4''

4.5 in the 40

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/footbal ... ife-in-cfl
Former Calgary Dinos receiver Brett Blaszko prepares for life in CFL

More from Daniel Austin

Published on: May 9, 2016 | Last Updated: May 9, 2016 6:50 PM MDT

Lorraine Hjalte, Calgary Herald CALGARY, ; OCTOBER 4, 2014 -- Rams defensive back Patrick MacDonald tries to bring down Dinos reciever Brett Blaszko. The University of Calgary Dinos football team played host to the Regina Rams on October 4, 2014 winning 59-7 at McMahon Stadium. (Lorraine Hjalte/Calgary Herald) For Sports story by Rita Mingo. Trax # 00059223A
Lorraine Hjalte, Calgary Herald CALGARY, ; OCTOBER 4, 2014 -- Rams defensive back Patrick MacDonald tries to bring down Dinos reciever Brett Blaszko. The University of Calgary Dinos football team played host to the Regina Rams on October 4, 2014 winning 59-7 at McMahon Stadium. (Lorraine Hjalte/Calgary Herald) For Sports story by Rita Mingo. Trax # 00059223A Lorraine Hjalte Lorraine Hjalte / Calgary Herald

ShareAdjustCommentPrint

It didn’t take long for a realization to dawn on Brett Blaszko as he went through his reps last week at the New York Giants’ rookie mini-camp.

Surrounded by players who had cut their football teeth at some of the most famous football programs in the NCAA, the former University of Calgary Dinos receiver wasn’t feeling the least bit out of his depth.

“Honestly, I found I fit in well and competed well and showed what I had to show,” said Blaszko . “I didn’t feel out of place whatsoever.

“I think the biggest difference between guys from Canada and the guys there are the finer things. They’re just a little bit more polished.”

Advertisement

While he might have proven that he could stand his ground with a bunch of NFL hopefuls, Blaszko is realistic about where his next step will take him. The Burlington, Ont., native is one of a handful of Dinos who are likely to hear their names called during Tuesday’s CFL Draft.

A versatile receiver who was named to the Canada West All Star team in 2014, Blaszko has been projected to be selected somewhere in the second or third round and will be gathering with friends and family around the TV back home in Ontario to hear where he’ll be taking the first step of his CFL career.

“I want to play in the CFL, that’s my goal,” Blaszko said. “As for where? I could care less. It’d be nice to be in Alberta but if I was back home in Ontario, I’d be happy. If I was in Manitoba, I’d be happy.”

Wherever he ends up, it’s possible that Blaszko could be one of the steals of the draft if he drops as far as the third round.

At 6-foot-4, he’s got the height to compete at the pro level, and he clocked in at 4.5 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the combine, suggesting he’s got more than enough speed to cause defences fits.

“Brett’s an outstanding athlete, he has incredible football talent,” said Dinos head coach Wayne Harris Jr. “He definitely has great hands and he’s deceptively fast. He doesn’t look like he’s running that fast but then you see him running past people and you know he’s quick.”

If Blaszko’s flying a little under the radar going into the draft, it’s likely because his stats in 2015 weren’t quite as eye-catching as his all-star year in 2014. But while numbers may not lie, they can be deceiving.

Blaszko struggled through injuries in the early days of last season, but still finished top-20 in the conference in receiving yards despite playing only six of his team’s eight games. His 56.0 yards-per-game were also enough to see him end the season with the 13th best average in Canada West.

All of that came despite playing on a team where quarterback Andrew Buckley was blessed with maybe the deepest crop of receiving talent in the country. The Dinos made spreading the ball on offence their calling card, especially with running back Mercer Timmis — who is also likely to hear his name called by a CFL team on Tuesday — plowing over defenders.

The Blaszko who CFL fans see step onto the field this summer, though, will be bigger, faster and stronger. He’s spent the better part of the last six months slaving away at the gym and says his time at the Giants’ camp has given him some perspective on the areas of his game that still need work.

“It’s just polishing certain things, like cutting and route-running,” Blazko said. “There really wasn’t that big a difference (between himself and the others at Giants camp) and that’s motivated me. I’ll have that in the back of my mind going forward to try to get back to that point.”

While Blaszko, Timmis and defensive back Elie Bouka are likely to highlight the contingent of Dinos who get drafted on Tuesday, they might not be alone. Defensive backs Michael Schmidt and Hunter Turnbull are both well regarded by CFL teams, and could also hear their names called.