CFL Draft 2016, May 10, 4pm PT

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote: There are folks who seem to want the CFL season bumped up anywhere from 2 weeks to a month which likely would force the CFL to again hold their draft prior to the NFL Draft.
The season suits me just fine right now. Even the preseason -- don't want more games there.

Same with the ratio -- suits me just fine.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Hambone wrote: There are folks who seem to want the CFL season bumped up anywhere from 2 weeks to a month which likely would force the CFL to again hold their draft prior to the NFL Draft.
The season suits me just fine right now. Even the preseason -- don't want more games there.

Same with the ratio -- suits me just fine.
Yup. I'm OK with status quo. Seems mostly to be the prairie folks pushing for it to get away from the less than favourable weather they get to enjoy in late October and November.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Hambone wrote:
OV - 54:40 wrote: Some good O-linemen up this draft if Wally wants to go there - including the 3 guys from Laval - Valliancourt in particular is maybe one of the best CFL draft interior O-lineman prospects in some time (4 straight years a CIS all-star, and pro plus size) - arguably more impressive college ball resume than Ben Heenan or Brent Jones, who turned out to be pretty good in the CFL.
Since you follow these guys and I don't who is the centre prospect amongst the top OL? If BC targets an OL their priority should be someone, who if he isn't already playing centre in college, projects as a good conversion project to a CFL centre. I hate using the word project because that usually insinuates at least 2 years.

I don't believe any of the top prospects from the CFL Prospects list is a natural or experienced C; but does that really matter much? - CFL thinkers often convert any NI O-linemen to somewhere on the interior O-Line = we see long body, natural OT types like Sorenson (starting OT in Div I ball) playing C, and 6-11 CIS all-star OT Matt O'Donnell playing guard. Did Matt Norman play C as a rookie for the Lions? - cause he was an all-star guard in CIS ball

However - up this draft are a couple of CIS Conference all-star centres - James Comeau (AUS - Acadia) and Matt Van Praaet (OUA - Western); both are going to an upcoming Regional Combine, so if they get invited to the Main E-Camp, they might be getting considered decent CFL prospects. I would lean to trying to find an experienced C if that is the position you want to address, rather than project/conversion types, but I guess the guy has to have some pro measureables (Comeau weighed in at over 310 at last spring's CIS East-West game Combine). Unhearlded type picks do pan out in the pros sometimes, and both those guys might be still be available in the mid to late rounds maybe?
Champion

Anybody know anything about that SFU O-lineman Michael Coture (from Burnaby) who was a unanamious Conference all-star last season? Maybe he emerges as a good pick from the CFL Combine.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Hambone wrote:
OV - 54:40 wrote: Some good O-linemen up this draft if Wally wants to go there - including the 3 guys from Laval - Valliancourt in particular is maybe one of the best CFL draft interior O-lineman prospects in some time (4 straight years a CIS all-star, and pro plus size) - arguably more impressive college ball resume than Ben Heenan or Brent Jones, who turned out to be pretty good in the CFL.
Since you follow these guys and I don't who is the centre prospect amongst the top OL? If BC targets an OL their priority should be someone, who if he isn't already playing centre in college, projects as a good conversion project to a CFL centre. I hate using the word project because that usually insinuates at least 2 years.

I don't believe any of the top prospects from the CFL Prospects list is a natural or experienced C; but does that really matter much? - CFL thinkers often convert any NI O-linemen to somewhere on the interior O-Line = we see long body, natural OT types like Sorenson (starting OT in Div I ball) playing C, and 6-11 CIS all-star OT Matt O'Donnell playing guard. Did Matt Norman play C as a rookie for the Lions? - cause he was an all-star guard in CIS ball

However - up this draft are a couple of CIS Conference all-star centres - James Comeau (AUS - Acadia) and Matt Van Praaet (OUA - Western); both are going to an upcoming Regional Combine, so if they get invited to the Main E-Camp, they might be getting considered decent CFL prospects. I would lean to trying to find an experienced C if that is the position you want to address, rather than project/conversion types, but I guess the guy has to have some pro measureables (Comeau weighed in at over 310 at last spring's CIS East-West game Combine). Unhearlded type picks do pan out in the pros sometimes, and both those guys might be still be available in the mid to late rounds maybe?
I think it matters. Centre is arguably the most important position on the OL other than the OT on the QB's blind side. The ability to read and recognize defences and make correct signaling of blocking assignments is something no other OL position has to deal with. That's not to say there aren't good conversion projects available. It just means you can't just take any natural guard or tackle and turn him into an effective centre.

Sorensen is interesting in that it's now been 8 years since he was drafted. I don't know if he was a conversion project in Winnipeg by design or if it was a case of well he's not living up to expectations at tackle and guard, how about centre. Obviously with Reid well entrenched at C in BC that wasn't something they were considering. Unfortunately for him Jovan Olafioye came on the scene after his rookie season. I think they hoped Sorensen could convert to guard but he never really seized that opportunity.

Norman started 7 games at RG in the first half of his rookie season (2012) before he returned to school to finish his teaching certificate. They were looking at him as a conversion project to C due to apparently "high football IQ". I think the plan was to use his sophomore season (2013) as an apprenticeship under Reid with an eye to him starting in his 3rd season if Reid hung up his cleats. He likely would've received that apprenticeship by returning to play guard off Angus' right shoulder. That plan was derailed when Angus was sidelined with back problems. Norman was thrust into the starting C role as a sophomore with 7 games of CFL experience under his belt, all at guard. He had to learn on the fly. I don't know what the impact last year's injury had on his job as Lions centre. Did Foster wind up with the job because of Norman's injury or did they feel they needed to upgrade the position because of Norman's play in 2013 & 2014?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Lionsfan65
Starter

Hambone wrote:I think it matters. Centre is arguably the most important position on the OL other than the OT on the QB's blind side. The ability to read and recognize defences and make correct signaling of blocking assignments is something no other OL position has to deal with. That's not to say there aren't good conversion projects available. It just means you can't just take any natural guard or tackle and turn him into an effective centre.

Sorensen is interesting in that it's now been 8 years since he was drafted. I don't know if he was a conversion project in Winnipeg by design or if it was a case of well he's not living up to expectations at tackle and guard, how about centre. Obviously with Reid well entrenched at C in BC that wasn't something they were considering. Unfortunately for him Jovan Olafioye came on the scene after his rookie season. I think they hoped Sorensen could convert to guard but he never really seized that opportunity.

Norman started 7 games at RG in the first half of his rookie season (2012) before he returned to school to finish his teaching certificate. They were looking at him as a conversion project to C due to apparently "high football IQ". I think the plan was to use his sophomore season (2013) as an apprenticeship under Reid with an eye to him starting in his 3rd season if Reid hung up his cleats. He likely would've received that apprenticeship by returning to play guard off Angus' right shoulder. That plan was derailed when Angus was sidelined with back problems. Norman was thrust into the starting C role as a sophomore with 7 games of CFL experience under his belt, all at guard. He had to learn on the fly. I don't know what the impact last year's injury had on his job as Lions centre. Did Foster wind up with the job because of Norman's injury or did they feel they needed to upgrade the position because of Norman's play in 2013 & 2014?
I agree that the centre position is crucial for a good o line, and I think the Lions have been really lucky to have had only 4 guys play the position over the past half century with Wilson, Taras, Sinclair, and Reid. If they can develop a guy like Thorn they should be set for another 10 years.

Speaking of Norman, does anybody know what his status is? If he has signed anywhere yet? He was solid at guard during his brief time playing there.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Lionsfan65 wrote:
Speaking of Norman, does anybody know what his status is? If he has signed anywhere yet? He was solid at guard during his brief time playing there.
Norman is still a free agent. According to the Free Agent Tracker at cfl.ca, other ex-Lions who remain unsigned include Rennie Curran, Cord Parks, Khreem Smith and Courtney Taylor.
Champion

Since you follow these guys and I don't who is the centre prospect amongst the top OL? If BC targets an OL their priority should be someone, who if he isn't already playing centre in college, projects as a good conversion project to a CFL centre. I hate using the word project because that usually insinuates at least 2 years.[/quote]

However - up this draft are a couple of CIS Conference all-star centres - James Comeau (AUS - Acadia) and Matt Van Praaet (OUA - Western); both are going to an upcoming Regional Combine, so if they get invited to the Main E-Camp, they might be getting considered decent CFL prospects. I would lean to trying to find an experienced C if that is the position you want to address, rather than project/conversion types, but I guess the guy has to have some pro measureables (Comeau weighed in at over 310 at last spring's CIS East-West game Combine). Unhearlded type picks do pan out in the pros sometimes, and both those guys might be still be available in the mid to late rounds maybe?[/quote]

I think it matters. Centre is arguably the most important position on the OL other than the OT on the QB's blind side. The ability to read and recognize defences and make correct signaling of blocking assignments is something no other OL position has to deal with. That's not to say there aren't good conversion projects available. It just means you can't just take any natural guard or tackle and turn him into an effective centre.

Norman started 7 games at RG in the first half of his rookie season (2012) before he returned to school to finish his teaching certificate. They were looking at him as a conversion project to C due to apparently "high football IQ". I think the plan was to use his sophomore season (2013) as an apprenticeship under Reid with an eye to him starting in his 3rd season if Reid hung up his cleats. He likely would've received that apprenticeship by returning to play guard off Angus' right shoulder. That plan was derailed when Angus was sidelined with back problems. Norman was thrust into the starting C role as a sophomore with 7 games of CFL experience under his belt, all at guard. He had to learn on the fly. I don't know what the impact last year's injury had on his job as Lions centre. Did Foster wind up with the job because of Norman's injury or did they feel they needed to upgrade the position because of Norman's play in 2013 & 2014?[/quote]

I agree with you Hambone, on the experience matters at a position like C - where skills & finesse are learned over lots of playing time; and that not just any other O-lineman can make the transition (though some can and have done so very well). Same with other postions - not just easy to become a receiver if you were a RB most of your life; or a DE becomes a DT, but exceptions happen of course and some guys are just plain good football players (eg, former QB Sinopoli having a 1000 yard receiving season in the pros last year - though apparently he did play some receiver early in college ball).

That's why I mentioned those 2 Conference all-star Cs - Van Praet (also was 2nd team CIS all-star C) and Comeau; they may not be on the top 20 CFL list of prospects, but they might emerge as very good C prospects with a close scouting look. However - I think that sometimes CFL scouts have a tendency to write-off certain draftable guys - and without a real close TC look - because of measureables or maybe word of mouth in their circles that a certain guy may not be good enough for the pros? Seen lots of very good college ball (CIS anyways) players totally ignored come CFL draft time - and I understand that LOTS of good college ball players do not pan-ouy as pros. But that should be determined by in-depth analysis in TC and not form lazy scouting - IMO. Combines and measurements/tests are a good thing to go by to detrermine if the player has some serious pro skills; film study would be an additional (and better IMO) tool to scout. And when you see CFL teams sometimes drafting long-snappers or ST cover guys or "athlete" project types rather than proven positional players on O & D (where their team has needs) = makes me shake my head at times.

You can often get a decent prospect in the later rounds (sometimes sign them as undrafted FAs too) - why not try to address every position of need you can thru the draft - no harm to draft a guy in the later rounds and give him a real look at TC; rather than drafting a projected 5th string "depth" guy where you already have plenty of players for TC; or a long-snapper or ST guy only - those can be found as FAs or amongst cuts from other teams.

We'll see if Wally addresses C this draft - maybe he is happy with just O'Neill for now? That SFU O-lineman Couture - read he has played every position along the O-line, but it was not clear at what position he made Conference all-star last season ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://3downnation.com/2016/03/13/15643/

Wow.

Just watched the OL vs DL one on ones.

Rupert Butcher, interior DL, caught my eye. Unstoppable. Had trouble seeing his name. Thought I saw some letters. #91. Seems he caught everyone else's eye also.

6'4", 327.

This fan would be thrilled if we were able to draft him.

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/03/13/prospects- ... -showcase/
Another player who helped himself on Sunday was Rupert Butcher, an interior defensive lineman who Dunk said needed to show this weekend that he could be a pass-rusher after spending most of his University career playing one-technique.

“He certainly did that today,” said Dunk. “At Western University he took on a lot of double teams to free up other defenders to make plays. That’s why his ability to pressure the quarterback had been questioned.”

Butcher was unstoppable in one-on-ones, winning virtually every one-on-one battle. Just as important as the result, Butcher said afterwards, was the way in which he approached one-on-ones.

“I think the biggest thing for a guy my size is to show I can move, that I have the agility to play in the CFL because the CFL is mostly pass rush,” said Butcher. “I need to show that I can move quickly and I’m able to have the agility for a guy my size.

“I think the film the coaches saw of me on defence did not have a lot of pass rush,” he added. “Here you have the best O-linemen in the country, and I showed I could play with them and beat them.

“I was really happy with my performance today.”
So much Canadian talent now. Very, very promising.

I just hope Wally makes a wise choice. Lots of input and opinions expressed of course, but this fan believes the key picks go Wally's way. And why not? But he makes some strange choices, as with last year's off the consensus board decision.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Champion

I think some CFL fans (and even moreso CFL "reporters") tend to get a bit carried away with Combine tests and news; a guy looks good on a couple of basic football drills and all of a sudden he shoots to the top of the draft class? Combine stuff is but one tool for scouting; watching these guys play actual football (live or on film) is still the best scouting tool IMO.

Butcher was an OUA all-star DT - not like he should have been an unkown; and at his size, he would be about the biggest DT in the CFL i believe; he mentioned he might have to lose weight beeause the CFL is all about passing so pass rush quickness for D-linemen. He might be a very good pick who could contribute right away at DT.

Couture - the O-lineman from SFU sounds like a good prospect too - pro size and some good testing #s, and was a Conference all-star last season.

A very deep crop this year at receiver IMO - maybe no real blue chipper (though Brian Jones may well be one), but lots of good receiver talent.

A number of these guys - Butcher, Couture, one of those receivers - could still be around in the mid rounds too ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jim Mullin
Team Captain

A good dozen minutes talking Combine winners and losers along with the Onyemata pro day in Winnipeg. WITH A CORRECTED LINK.

Krown Countdown U on CHCH TV and the TSN Radio Network.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer