Harris Won't Be Back...Pretty Much Official

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

leo4life
All Star

Question is will coach Bouno don a headset in 2016? Im guessing not
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:Question is will coach Bouno don a headset in 2016? Im guessing not
are you saying his head is too fat???
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:Question is will coach Bouno don a headset in 2016? Im guessing not
Or will he be sporting a hoodie on the sideline ?
pennw
Legend

CardiacKid wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:http://3downnation.com/2016/02/05/15263/

Excerpts from the article by Lowell Ullrich ...
Harris’ time with the Lions had run its course

It’s always been fairly certain that when Wally Buono decides it is time to shake up the roster of his B.C. Lions he’ll revert to an aggravating, well-worn formula, and it was no different this week when it became apparent Andrew Harris is no longer in his plans.
As he did when Korey Banks, Otis Floyd, Aaron Hunt, Jason Clermont and a host of other fan and locker room favourites had to go, the man under the microscope had no compassion when it comes to his belief as to what requires change. As a result the Lions have a huge hole in their offence, prepared to move forward without a player who at times represented 30 per-cent of his team’s offensive output.
It remains to be seen whether the idea of ditching Harris will prove to be a good move mind you, and of course Harris will attempt to be at his persuasive best when he signs, as Chris Walby and countless other experts have suggested, with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers as soon as next week.

B.C. will make tailback an import spot again because Buono believes it is more cost efficient, arguing he can get two Americans to carry the rock for the $200,000 it would take to keep Harris, also thus enabling him to tweak the ratio back in favour of playing three Canadians on the offensive line.
Harris got a place to mature, learning how to speak honestly without being disruptive and stand up to defend just about everything that didn’t work under George Cortez, who had no idea how to best use his talents, and Jacques Chapdelaine.
I will need to read the LU post in full but I already find myself identifying with a few of his points.

"Aggravating..." I can't put my finger on it but I do find how Wally jettisons vets and prominent players as aggravating. I am not equating aggravating with wrong as I believe he has a good track record of moving vets out like Banks who couldn't stick with the Bombers ( could have done better with what he got in return ) but with a couple of blips like Brown and Logan. And yes, all the other clubs do likewise but I can't put my finger on why his manner of disposal bothers me. I am probably hoping a player who has worked hard in Leo's colours could get a better send off. Nature of the game I guess....

I appreciate LU highlighting the extent to which the Leo's relied on Harris for offensive output. 30% is huge! Jones is going to have to work extra long hours to come up with how to fill that huge hole.

I particularly appreciated his statement that Cortez had no clue how to use Harris. There were times last year when I thought Cortez was either a mental defective, suffering early onset Alzheimers or just didn't give a crap. Thank god he left when he did and not blight us with his presence any longer.
The reality is that all GM's release players past their prime pretty much the same way . Hufnagel just did it to one of his long time defensive stalwarts Juwan Simpson and the season before he did it to fan favourite Nick Lewis , and Lewis proved he still had it in Montreal, unlike Korey Banks who could not make a roster the following season .
Gerry Simon must not have felt it was too out of line with him being let go , seeing how he now works for Wally again .
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CardiacKid wrote:I will need to read the LU post in full but I already find myself identifying with a few of his points.

"Aggravating..." I can't put my finger on it but I do find how Wally jettisons vets and prominent players as aggravating. I am not equating aggravating with wrong as I believe he has a good track record of moving vets out like Banks who couldn't stick with the Bombers ( could have done better with what he got in return ) but with a couple of blips like Brown and Logan. And yes, all the other clubs do likewise but I can't put my finger on why his manner of disposal bothers me. I am probably hoping a player who has worked hard in Leo's colours could get a better send off. Nature of the game I guess....

I appreciate LU highlighting the extent to which the Leo's relied on Harris for offensive output. 30% is huge! Jones is going to have to work extra long hours to come up with how to fill that huge hole.

I particularly appreciated his statement that Cortez had no clue how to use Harris. There were times last year when I thought Cortez was either a mental defective, suffering early onset Alzheimers or just didn't give a crap. Thank god he left when he did and not blight us with his presence any longer.
I don't find it aggravating. It's just the cold, hard reality of the business of football in a cap system. The nature of the sport and cap system is such that a roster is a constantly evolving dynamic of needs and reshuffling of where and how the money is spent. There's no easy way to do it and I don't for a minute think Buono enjoys any part of having to make such decisions. He hates having to do it but knows it has to be done.

I wouldn't even count Brown as a blip. He's already looking for new work after one year in Calgary. Banks didn't stick in Winnipeg, Taylor didn't make final cuts in Calgary. Marsh didn't land another deal elsewhere. Of the many names Buono has jettisoned as being at or close to the end Otis Floyd is the only one who comes to mind as continuing to be a very effective player beyond the first year in another jersey.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:I don't find it aggravating. It's just the cold, hard reality of the business of football in a cap system. The nature of the sport and cap system is such that a roster is a constantly evolving dynamic of needs and reshuffling of where and how the money is spent. There's no easy way to do it and I don't for a minute think Buono enjoys any part of having to make such decisions. He hates having to do it but knows it has to be done.

I wouldn't even count Brown as a blip. He's already looking for new work after one year in Calgary. Banks didn't stick in Winnipeg, Taylor didn't make final cuts in Calgary. Marsh didn't land another deal elsewhere. Of the many names Buono has jettisoned as being at or close to the end Otis Floyd is the only one who comes to mind as continuing to be a very effective player beyond the first year in another jersey.
Healthy and orderly roster turnover necessary for any successful team. Veterans who win the Grey Cup expect to be rewarded by their own teams or by others in free agency. Teams that overpay to hang on to veteran players on the down sides of their careers usually pay a price in the standings. The Lions, Argos, Riders, Stamps and Eskimos, as the most recent teams to win the Grey Cup, have all gone through a transition, or are going through it this year. I would expect the Stamps and Esks to pay a hefty price in the standings this year for their roster turnover, just as the Lions, Argos and Riders have in recent years.
Lionsfan65
Starter

According to CFL.ca Harris has signed with Winnipeg, not that we didn't already know that would happen.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Run wild, Andrew. :thup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.