What are your thoughts on the O-line heading into 2016?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Lionsfan65
Starter

In my opinion, the O-line was just ok in 2015, with a lot of room to improve in 2016. That being said Bourke is the best lineman available in free agency, I know he is older but he probably still has 2-3 good years still left. If he is healthy Steward should start at left guard with Foster at center and Jovan at Right tackle. Right guard is an open competition between Fabien, Husband, Player. I haven't paid that much attention to the players in the draft but we should focus on the lines on both sides of the ball during the draft.
leo4life
All Star

On Defence Bouno has said he is going to a 3-4 scheme to best use his LB core.Didnt Benny try that back in his DC days? It didnt last the season i believe.Why would he bring it back again?
Dusty
Champion

leo4life wrote:On Defence Bouno has said he is going to a 3-4 scheme to best use his LB core.Didnt Benny try that back in his DC days? It didnt last the season i believe.Why would he bring it back again?
Because with Wally, everything old is new again.....
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:
leo4life wrote:On Defence Bouno has said he is going to a 3-4 scheme to best use his LB core.Didnt Benny try that back in his DC days? It didnt last the season i believe.Why would he bring it back again?
Because with Wally, everything old is new again.....
Read my mind.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

At times it is more of a 3-9 defence. Get back. Get back. Deeper drop, Biggie.

If we go that route, it is pretty much the opposite of an attacking, aggressive defence.

I will actually be surprised if Wally and Mark go with the 3-4. I would expect more of a line 'em up 4-3, with 3-9 prevent mixed in.

O Line discussion: Lots of moving parts. Lots of unknowns. Can we protect the quarterback? Can we open holes for the ground game? Can we develop Nationals? It will be interesting.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

Lionsfan65 wrote:In my opinion, the O-line was just ok in 2015, with a lot of room to improve in 2016. That being said Bourke is the best lineman available in free agency, I know he is older but he probably still has 2-3 good years still left. If he is healthy Steward should start at left guard with Foster at center and Jovan at Right tackle. Right guard is an open competition between Fabien, Husband, Player. I haven't paid that much attention to the players in the draft but we should focus on the lines on both sides of the ball during the draft.
Agree that we need to draft in these areas (esp O-ine IMHO), but not sure Bourke is money spent efficiently. Not saying it's not money well spent, but it's going to take a king's ransom to get him out of Montreal and I think Draheim or Steward can give us similar play for a lot less. At least, not a massive drop-off relative to salary.

Also, doesn't Bourke play this song and dance every contract time? He tantalizes teams and holds out 'til the very end, then Popp eventually re-signs him.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

First I've heard of that. Right now BC doesn't have the depth to do that. They have SolE, Biggie and Lokombo (should we call him Locie?) and that's about it. Hoffman-Ellis and Curran are pending FA's which leaves Aragki and Clarke or a DB to fill the 4th spot and provide backup. That's of course pending future signings.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
leo4life
All Star

Bouno told 1040 his new defence plans over a week ago but havent seen it in print.He wants to really make the most out of his stout LB core and possibly start Lokombo as well.Sounds like another year of contservative D under Bouno and Washington which wont get it done in the tough sledding West Imho
CardiacKid
Legend

If the Leos want to do the 3-4 alignment, they missed the key in making that work. Namely bringing Rich Stubler back in the fold.
Lionsfan65
Starter

CardiacKid wrote:If the Leos want to do the 3-4 alignment, they missed the key in making that work. Namely bringing Rich Stubler back in the fold.
IMHO Stubler > Washington

3-4 defense works great in the NFL with a smaller field and big linebackers but it only has limited success in Canadian footlball. The 4-3 base set works best however mixing it up and going to a 3-4 or 3-3 or any other combination can be effective for certain situations.
Rodu
Champion

3-4 is almost becoming rare in the NFL due to offenses using more systems, forcing defenses into the nickel more often

If you're going to run that D, you can't sit back and just rush 3 guys, it's a blitz heavy system, using confusion and deception as who is coming and from where. I can see Bazzie moving to OLB, not sure who else we have that can do that. On the line, Westerman and Brooks can be our DEs, not sure who could be NT, Minter maybe
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rodu wrote:If you're going to run that D, you can't sit back and just rush 3 guys, it's a blitz heavy system, using confusion and deception as who is coming and from where.

Unless Buono has changed (which is unlikely) the move to a 3-4 defensive alignment is against his philosophy.
leo4life
All Star

Bouno himself said it on 1040 2 weeks ago he is changing his Defence to a 3-4 scheme to use his LB core to its full potential.He said Bo Lokombo may become a starter or increased playing time.A few weeks before that he said on 1040 every scheme you see on the field will be what he wants.No surprise there
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

leo4life wrote:Bouno himself said it on 1040 2 weeks ago he is changing his Defence to a 3-4 scheme to use his LB core to its full potential.He said Bo Lokombo may become a starter or increased playing time.A few weeks before that he said on 1040 every scheme you see on the field will be what he wants.No surprise there
A few weeks before that he said on 1040 every scheme you see on the field will be what he wants.No surprise there.
I did not hear Wally on 1040, but long time fans can easily believe every scheme you see on the field is what he wants.

This fan does not really want to see a 3-4 defence. This fan would prefer a 4-3. Movement before the snap. Disguised lineups. Stunts. Blitzes from all over. All with a philosophy of attack the quarterback, attack the LOS. What will we get? Dunno ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
David
Team Captain

Per LU, who's now blogging on 3rddown.com, it looks like we will in fact, be going with 3 Nationals along the O-line in 2016:
Lowell Ullrich wrote:
B.C. will make tailback an import spot again because Buono believes it is more cost efficient, arguing he can get two Americans to carry the rock for the $200,000 it would take to keep Harris, also thus enabling him to tweak the ratio back in favour of playing three Canadians on the offensive line.
If this is in fact true, it remains to be seen whether Draheim or Foster will be affected.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar