Manny back for 2 more years

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Reported on TSN that the Manny show is back for two more years. Of course, he said the right things after signing, namely that he didn't want to go anywhere else but I thought it interesting he said he wanted to play for Wally and the Lions.

It is waaaaay too easy to read something into what players say, especially when it is done without seeing the inflection of the voice, the look on their face or the overall body language (just like I did right now). But I do wonder if the fact he highlighted Wally in his comments may be an indicator the players and the dressing room leaders are fine playing for Wally and might even be glad he is back? Certainly Jovan and Ronnie Yell said as much. And would Manny have re-upped if Tedford had stayed?

All grist for the mill. Just got to remind myself it is all academic at the moment.
Last edited by CardiacKid on Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I have no doubt if Tedford was still here, Manny would have gone elsewhere.
Ballistic Bob
Legend

I think I know now which # and name is going on my new orange jersey. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Belize City Lion wrote:I have no doubt if Tedford was still here, Manny would have gone elsewhere.
What is this opinion based on? Please enlighten.
Blitz
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Belize City Lion wrote:I have no doubt if Tedford was still here, Manny would have gone elsewhere.
Manny had his best season as a Leo in 2015, finishing 4th in the CFL in receiving yardage.

Manny exploded in the second half of the season, as Tedford got more involved with the offence, with Manny moved to slot back, with Jennings as our starter, and with the introduction of Hawkins into the lineup.

Tedford recruited Jennings and selected him amongst a large group of hopefuls and Tedford brought Hawkins to B.C. (Hawkins had played for Tedford in California.

I can't see Manny being unhappy with Tedford, at least from an offensive perspective

Manny just signed a new contract with Wally and received a significant raise. Wally will be his HC this season. Mentioning Wally is no big deal.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
aklawitter
All Star

great news IF he can keep the off-field crap to himself
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

:thup:

Been a fan of Manny since his first TC here.

Big. Very strong for a wideout or slot. Plenty fast enough.

So he ran his mouth a bit with twitter. Guys are really just learning the dangers of social nedia. He strikes me as a very good citizen and teammate.

Good signing.

Same with Fabien. :thup:
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

aklawitter wrote:great news IF he can keep the off-field crap to himself
I hope the Manny Arceneaux returning in 2016 is the same Arceneaux in the 2nd half of the season instead of the tweeting Manny.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Manny's new deal reportedly $425,000 over the 2 years.

Source: News 1130
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

aklawitter wrote:great news IF he can keep the off-field crap to himself
What the catalyst was I don't know. Was it Jennings taking over at QB? Was it Tedford taking more control over the offence? Again I don't know. What I do know is that Manny suddenly became the sort of impact player we all knew can be about the same time he started letting his play do the talking instead of his Manny being Manny social media accounts.
Last edited by Hambone on Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote: What t catalyst was I don't know. Was it Jennings taking over at QB? Was it Tedford taking more control over the offence? Again I don't know. What I do know is that Manny suddenly became the sort o impact player we all knew can be about the time he started letting his play do the talking instead of his Manny being Manny social media accounts.
The timing of Manny's breakout suggests it was mainly due to the chemistry he had with Jennings. Manny was moved to the slot in Week 11. He produced 7 catches for 48 yards in the next 2.5 games (an average of 1.6 catches for 19 yards), all from John Beck, which was less than he had been averaging in the previous 8 games at WR with Lulay at QB (27 for 458 yards, or an average of 3.4 catches for 57 yards.

In 6.5 games in the slot with Jennings at QB, Manny put up 42 catches for 645 yards, an average of 6.5 catches for 99 yards. There was no way the Lions could let him get away. Hopefully he and Jennings can continue their chemistry in 2016.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:Manny's new deal reportedly $425,000 over the 2 years.

Source: News 1130
A nice pay day for Manny and nice that he decided not to go to free agency. :yahoo:
Blitz
Team Captain

I find it interesting that Wally let Nick Moore, our top receiver that season walk away and sign elsewhere....and he also let Ernest Jackson, our top receiver to end 2014 also walk away.....not wanting to pay the big bucks for either....

...but when Wally is going to be the Head Coach, he is not so willing to let our top receiver walk away and signed Manny to a significant raise.

A different perspective for Wally in signing a top receiver when Wally is the one on the sidelines.

Wally said, after signing Arsenault to the new two year extension:
“We’v been talking about this for a couple of months. I’m happy for myself. I’m happy for our fans. They deserve this.”
'

Lions fans should have been 'deserving' of Moore and Jackson being extended in the past.

However, with Wally back as HC, Leo fans have suddenly become 'deserving' again.

I'm happy about that, just not happy that it didn't happen sooner.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Manny seemed to have quit on the team by midseason. There was no effort to go after balls. When he did manage to catch a pass there seemed to be little effort to get yards after catch. Even some of the commentators called for his out right release at one point. The suddenly Jennings gets in due to injury and it was like Manny flipped the switch from off to on. Some credit Manny's improvement in effort and performance to Tedford getting more involved in the offence, but I don't agree with that theory. Even after Jennings took over the starting job, Cortez was still doing a horrendous job of play calling. Great first half performances still resulted in second half defeats. Yet unlike earlier in the season when this was happening with Lulay at QB, Manny never quit. It was later in the season that Tedford took more control of the offence, well after "The Manny Show" had returned from hiatus. So I believe the issue was with Tedford not going to Jennings earlier in the season. Everyone, from the players in the room to those of us posting on this board knew Jennings was more than worthy of getting a chance to play. Especially once Lulay got hurt and Beck was ineffective. Guys like Manny (and Harris) just want to win and at some point they will give up if they see their bosses not doing the obvious things that would give them the best chance to win games.

If Beck doesn't get hurt the entire season would have unfolded differently. Jennings probably would have been given a chance to start eventually, but likely only after the Lions had been eliminated from the playoffs. Possibly only the last game or two. He would have taken over a completely demoralised team that was giving second stringers some playing time and I doubt would have had much success. We would be going into 2016 with Jennings as a questionable #3, Beck as a possible #1 (at least until WB could find an upgrade, if one was available). Manny would be moving on. Beck getting hurt may turn out to be one of the best things to ever happen to the BC Lions.
Blitz
Team Captain

Beck getting hurt may turn out to be one of the best things to ever happen to the BC Lions.
I totally agree with this Balize City...excellent post!!

I said, from the time that Beck was moved into the #2 spot, what the heck were our Leos thinking going with a 34 year old back up with little CFL experience when we needed to develop the 'next one'.

With a lot of the things we have learned at the end of this season, in terms of Wally's over-involvment, from Wally coaching assistant coaches at practices, to Tedford's comments at the end of the season, I wonder if Wally put the pressure on to have Beck as the backup. Certainly we had the same scenario last year with Benevedes as well.

Like you, I believed that Jennings deserved more opportunities earlier this season. Jennings play in pre-season at least should have been enough to get the #2 slot at quarterback. Beck did nothing to earn that spot and it was just handed to him.

While you and I don't seem to see things the same way, when it comes to Tedford and Buono, I certainly concur that it really would have been a shame for Jennings to never have gotten the opportunity to play this season.

Even though Jennings had sat out a year and it seemed that there were more qualified candidates when Tedford had 9 quarterback prospects competing for a chance to come to training camp, Tedford obviously saw something in Jennings and we are very fortunate for his analysis.

We had gone for quite a couple of seasons shuffling prospective quarterbacks on and off the roster or bringing quarterbacks in for 'look sees' with not very much luck. Now it appears that we have a quarterback that has the tools and talents to potentially take us to the 'promised land'.

There is nothing like hope and optimism at that key position. :thup: