One name off BC's pending FA list.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Kirby Fabien has signed a new 2 year deal.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Blitz
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:Kirby Fabien has signed a new 2 year deal.
Wally didn't have much of a choice. When you consider Tedford only had two Canadians that he felt could start on the offensive line and one of those was Cody Husband, an undrafted offensive lineman that began the season low on the Leos depth chart and assumed the starters role part way through the season.

Canadian offensive lineman depth is not a strength right now, to say the least, although a healthy season from Steward would be huge.

I'm very pleased to see Fabian back. I see him as a talented Canadian offensive lineman who came off knee reconstruction surgery and still had a very good season, especially considering what he was recovering from.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

This is very good news. LU mentioned soon after the playoff loss Fabian and the Lions were "miles apart" in contract talks and he didn't think he would be back given his demands. This club simply couldn't afford to lose a national starting offensive lineman that have suddenly become an endangered species around here in recent years.

Rick Dhaliwal also reporting good progress in contract talks with Manny Arseneaux and a new deal expected to be announced in the new year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I heard a radio report today (not sure which station) that the Lions are also close to re-signing Manny Arceneaux.
The_Pauser
Legend

Excellent news!

Fabian isn't an all-star, but he's definitely good Canadian depth and a guy you can't just let walk away. Glad to have him back.

Also excited to hear that Arceneaux is close to re-signing. I identified him as possibly our most key free agent this offseason, so seeing him back is huge. I know in practice towards the end of the season he and Jennings would go off to the side and work on their chemistry. If they can build on that going into next year both could be in for a huge year (I recall seeing Dickenson and Simon do the same thing back in 2003, though I'm sure a lot of QB's/WR's do this).
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

It's far too early to tell but player personnel-wise the offseason seems to be starting off to a typical Buono start which is to say a methodical process of retaining the players the Lions really want to retain. Many of us fear loss of several key players given what is for the Lions an unusually long list of pending FAs. Keep in mind most other teams have as many or in some cases double the number of pending FAs as BC. With a record 200+ pending FAs at this early stage (last year it was around 135) we may be seeing a buyer's market. Having so many players potentially available isn't necessarily a good thing for those FAs. Agents may look at staying put with new deals prior to free agency as paying off better than the gamble of free agency in a saturated pool.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Wonder how contract talks are coming with Andrew Harris.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

My gut feeling is Andrew Harris is a goner to Calgary or Winnipeg. Buono blasted him in the media after Harris's comments during locker clean out day. It is personal now and unless there is some fence mending, he is moving on. I would bet on it.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

JohnnyMusso wrote:My gut feeling is Andrew Harris is a goner to Calgary or Winnipeg. Buono blasted him in the media after Harris's comments during locker clean out day. It is personal now and unless there is some fence mending, he is moving on. I would bet on it.
Harris had some of his best results as a Lion when he was teamed with Stefan Logan in the backfield. I would love to see him teamed with a big international RB in a two back set where in passing situations the int. RB stays in the backfield to block and Harris becomes a pass receiver out of the backfield or even line up as a slot back or WR.

Wally isn't Offensive minded or innovative enough to properly utilize Harris but I suspect some other team will be very successful building an Offense around Harris, making him both a RB and pass receiver.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have confirmed that Manny Arceneaux is locked up for two more seasons. Here's the text of a team email:
The Manny Show to stay on the air with Lions through 2017

Your Lions announced today that wide receiver Emmanuel Arceneaux has agreed to terms on a contract with the team through the 2017 season. Arceneaux was set to become a free agent in February.

“Manny is an important part of our offense and leader in our dressing room,” said GM and head coach Wally Buono. “This is a critical signing for the club heading into next season and I know our fans will be very happy to see him remain with the Lions.”

The five-year vet who led the Lions with 1,151 receiving yards last season on 76 receptions recently earned his first CFL All-Star nod.

“There was only one place I wanted to play and that’s in BC for Wally and Lions fans ,” said Arceneaux from his offseason home in Louisiana. “We’re going to be back in a big way in 2016 and I can’ t wait to get started.”

Arceneaux sits just 87 yards from 5,000 on his career and has piled-up 2,056 receiving yards over the past two season, a total only surpassed by Calgary’s Eric Rogers.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Manny's comments support my argument that his poor play prior to Jennings taking over at QB was about him not wanting play for Tedford. We may never hear the full story but I think Tedford really lost the room when he would not give Jennings a chance. Remember, it was only because of injury that Jennings got on the field in the first place. I have no doubt that prior to Beck going down a lot of guys on that team were already calling for Jennings to get a shot.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I know someone who knows someone who knows Jason Araki and apparently after the season was over Jason wouldn't names but said that there were Lions players who were not giving it their all. :shock:
pdxlion
Rookie

Belize City Lion wrote:Manny's comments support my argument that his poor play prior to Jennings taking over at QB was about him not wanting play for Tedford. We may never hear the full story but I think Tedford really lost the room when he would not give Jennings a chance. Remember, it was only because of injury that Jennings got on the field in the first place. I have no doubt that prior to Beck going down a lot of guys on that team were already calling for Jennings to get a shot.
If you remember, the game Lulay got hurt in was the first game they scrapped the tight end and moved manny in. His production was going to go up.
The_Pauser
Legend

Belize City Lion wrote:Manny's comments support my argument that his poor play prior to Jennings taking over at QB was about him not wanting play for Tedford. We may never hear the full story but I think Tedford really lost the room when he would not give Jennings a chance. Remember, it was only because of injury that Jennings got on the field in the first place. I have no doubt that prior to Beck going down a lot of guys on that team were already calling for Jennings to get a shot.
Tedford lost the room in training camp.
Roar you Lions roar!
Lions4ever
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Tedford lost the room in training camp.
And we know this how?