2015 Draft Class

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Couple of BC boys from UBC on that list: defensive halfback Taylor Loffler and kicker Quinn Van Glywysk. Wouldn't mind seeing either or both in a Lions uniform.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Loffler would appear to be a fit but might not fit with BC's draft positions. Not good enough to take 3rd overall and may not be there when their 2nd round pick comes around at 12th overall.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
The_Pauser
Legend

Hambone wrote:Loffler would appear to be a fit but might not fit with BC's draft positions. Not good enough to take 3rd overall and may not be there when their 2nd round pick comes around at 12th overall.
At 3rd overall we're guaranteed either: the top ranked prospect (Smith), the top ranked DL, or the top ranked OL. If we aren't walking out with someone who can help us in a big way next year then we really messed this up again.

My only question: which of these players is on the NFL radar? Smith I imagine would be, but what about the others? A large number of these kids are going to US colleges, but there are still some talented O-linemen from Laval. Onyemata is playing in Manitoba.

If we could pluck a Laval O-Lineman with our 1st and 2nd round picks that too could be useful as it would give us two guys who already have chemistry on an O-line. But at the same time we would also be ignoring depth at receiver, D-line, and our secondary.
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The_Pauser wrote:
Hambone wrote:Loffler would appear to be a fit but might not fit with BC's draft positions. Not good enough to take 3rd overall and may not be there when their 2nd round pick comes around at 12th overall.
At 3rd overall we're guaranteed either: the top ranked prospect (Smith), the top ranked DL, or the top ranked OL. If we aren't walking out with someone who can help us in a big way next year then we really messed this up again.

My only question: which of these players is on the NFL radar? Smith I imagine would be, but what about the others? A large number of these kids are going to US colleges, but there are still some talented O-linemen from Laval. Onyemata is playing in Manitoba.

If we could pluck a Laval O-Lineman with our 1st and 2nd round picks that too could be useful as it would give us two guys who already have chemistry on an O-line. But at the same time we would also be ignoring depth at receiver, D-line, and our secondary.
I checked out the top 5 yesterday to see how they were ranked with CBS Sports Draft rankings and NFLDraftScout rankings. Onyemata didn't show. The other 4 have rankings that would indicate an outside shot at being a very late NFL draft pick or more likely priority FA signing after the draft.

Smith - CBS #53 ranked WR, DraftScout #40
St. John - CBS #37 ranked OT, DraftScout #33
Abdesmad - CBS #36 ranked DT, DraftScout #29
A.Colquhoun - CBS #27 ranked CB, DraftScout #19
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:

Unless the Lions pulls another surprise like they did with their last year's first round pick.
pennw
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:

Unless the Lions pulls another surprise like they did with their last year's first round pick.
That's what I was going to say , they may be onto another gem flying under everyone else's radar , again . Somehow BC doesn't inspire confidence in the early goings at the draft table .
OV - 54:40
Champion

Hambone wrote:
The_Pauser wrote:

I checked out the top 5 yesterday to see how they were ranked with CBS Sports Draft rankings and NFLDraftScout rankings. Onyemata didn't show. The other 4 have rankings that would indicate an outside shot at being a very late NFL draft pick or more likely priority FA signing after the draft.

Smith - CBS #53 ranked WR, DraftScout #40
St. John - CBS #37 ranked OT, DraftScout #33
Abdesmad - CBS #36 ranked DT, DraftScout #29
A.Colquhoun - CBS #27 ranked CB, DraftScout #19

Hi Hambone :beer:

Onyemata is now actually ranked higher at Draftscout at his position (DT - though he played at DE in the recent Shrine game), than Smith, Colquhon or Abdesmad are at their positions.

I'd guess Vaillancourt might get an NFL FA / mini camp type look at least, so he might present a bit of a risk to a CFL team wanting to draft him early.

Be curious to see where Loffler and Van Glsywick go - Loffler might be gone by #12, but hard to say; and there is another pretty decent looking safety prospect in Thompson (S. Illinois). Van G might go on to a very good CFL career as a dual kicker or at least holding down one of those jobs - past CFL drafts have seen some kickers picked first round even or not long after.