Tommy Joe Coffey struggling with dementia

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

http://3downnation.com/2015/12/07/forme ... -dementia/

Former Ticats great Tommy Joe Coffey struggling with dementia

Posted on December 7, 2015 by Curtis Rush in FEATURED, Rush to Judgment // 7 Comments

Profile of former CFL great Tommy Joe Coffey

Tommy Joe Coffey, once the greatest pass receiver and the most prolific scorer in CFL history, is now a hobbled senior battling memory loss and the ravages of time.

He once complained he didn’t think much of his records, accumulated over a 14-year career with Edmonton, Hamilton and Toronto.

“They’re nice to have,” he said, “but they don’t put any bread on the table.”

His monthly CFL pension cheque of $244.01 hardly puts bread on the table now. Coffey, 79, and his wife, Joan, 72, subsist mostly on government pensions. “It’s tight, but we’re not hurting by any stretch of the imagination,” he says proudly.

In his final CFL year, with Toronto in 1973, he was making $21,000, when the average working man’s salary was around $8,400. He remembers his CFL days, when he could draw a crowd in bars across the country, as his golden years. These are not that golden.

He is struggling with memory loss brought on by dementia.

“It’s probably my biggest fear,” Coffey says in his Texas drawl. “Loss of memory.”

Joan says he went for a battery of tests a couple of years ago and doctors told her the dementia was related to head injuries associated with football. Coffey is among a host of former CFL players who, while giving so much to their sport, lost some of themselves. And in the wake of NFL and CFL lawsuits over concussions, Coffey’s story serves as another cautionary tale of the risks associated with collision sports.

“The NFL is going to do something about the guys with concussions,” Joan says. “My husband will probably be dead before they do anything with the CFL.”

In his day, the son of a Baptist minister from Amarillo, Texas, was called “the self-effacing superstar” by a Toronto Star writer.

In 1959 and 1960, he was an ordinary player with Edmonton. Then he quit the game in 1961, thinking he was going to be a wealthy businessman investing in an enriched diet supplement. He lost $50,000 and returned to the Eskimos in desperate shape with a wife and four kids in tow ready to kick-start his legend. He would top 1,000 yards in receiving four times in the 1960s, and be named a CFL all-star seven times over a nine-year stretch from 1962 to 1970.

“The greatest thing that ever happened to me was going broke,” he said years later. “Necessity can do a lot of things for you, and being hungry made me a better football player.”

He and Joan live today in a spartan two-bedroom rental unit in Burlington, where he cooks for his wife and helps care for their 14-year-old, cross-eyed cat. It’s a far cry from the spacious house in Burlington where he planted more than 100 rose bushes.

The only evidence that a CFL legend lives here is found in Coffey’s bedroom, where a small painting hangs on the wall showing him throwing a key block to spring running back Willie Bethea.

Recently, Coffey’s Ticat helmet, which was stolen more than 40 years ago, was returned to him. He wanted to sell it until Joan convinced him to give it to his son Ron. His daughter Conye has his 1967 Grey Cup ring and son Tommy Jr. has his 1972 ring.

Bad knees, a bad back and a belly that pushes over his belt make him waddle when he walks, and he has to stop to catch his breath. Coffey hasn’t worked in a few years. He drove a school bus in his last job, and stocked shelves at 5 a.m. in the one before that, work that today’s stars would likely never consider.

Coffey will be remembered for what he gave to the game and not for what he took from it.

He doesn’t want pity. “I’ve made my bed,” he says softly. “Have I been properly compensated in today’s world? No. Why? Because I’m too timid or too bashful or too dumb.”

But he has Joan, still at his side despite being diagnosed with breast cancer 12 years ago. “They give you five,” she says. “So I’m just lucky.”

They met in 1968. Tommy Joe had already had four children with his first wife, Verlene. Joan was working as a waitress at The Junction Tavern, a hangout once popular with Ticat players. She resisted his overtures for months.

Finally, feeling defeated, he said, “Excuse me, Miss, would you like me to stop bothering you?”

“And I said no,” Joan recalled. They will celebrate their 35th anniversary Feb. 20.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

This is a sad story, but it also has meny uplifting moments.
He once complained he didn’t think much of his records, accumulated over a 14-year career with Edmonton, Hamilton and Toronto.

“They’re nice to have,” he said, “but they don’t put any bread on the table.”
His monthly CFL pension cheque of $244.01 hardly puts bread on the table now. Coffey, 79, and his wife, Joan, 72, subsist mostly on government pensions. “It’s tight, but we’re not hurting by any stretch of the imagination,” he says proudly.
Joan says he went for a battery of tests a couple of years ago and doctors told her the dementia was related to head injuries associated with football. Coffey is among a host of former CFL players who, while giving so much to their sport, lost some of themselves. And in the wake of NFL and CFL lawsuits over concussions, Coffey’s story serves as another cautionary tale of the risks associated with collision sports.
He and Joan live today in a spartan two-bedroom rental unit in Burlington, where he cooks for his wife and helps care for their 14-year-old, cross-eyed cat. It’s a far cry from the spacious house in Burlington where he planted more than 100 rose bushes.
Bad knees, a bad back and a belly that pushes over his belt make him waddle when he walks, and he has to stop to catch his breath. Coffey hasn’t worked in a few years. He drove a school bus in his last job, and stocked shelves at 5 a.m. in the one before that, work that today’s stars would likely never consider.
They met in 1968. Tommy Joe had already had four children with his first wife, Verlene. Joan was working as a waitress at The Junction Tavern, a hangout once popular with Ticat players. She resisted his overtures for months.

Finally, feeling defeated, he said, “Excuse me, Miss, would you like me to stop bothering you?”

“And I said no,” Joan recalled. They will celebrate their 35th anniversary Feb. 20.
An amazing life story. :thup:

God bless, Tommy.

Concussion issues are discussed at some length on this website.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

A truly gifted receiver. Back in his days he was a receiver and a placekicker for the Ti-Cats
globespanner
Rookie

Telling this story will tell you how old I am and how many years i have been a fan of the CFL and Tj Coffey. In 1959 I was a wide eyed 13 year old boy in Edmonton. Every day in that July i would get on the bus and take it the to the practice fields next to Clarke Stadium. There the legends practiced for the coming season. Jackie Parker, Johnny Bright, Normie Kwong, Rollie Miles, Don Getty, Roger Nelson. Larger than life Heroes. incredible players who went on to achieve after one went to become Premier another Leuitenant Govenor, Coaches. Jackie Parker was the greatest player in the CFL before Doug Flutie, Johnny Bright was the best running back of his era anywhere not named Jim Brown. Rollie Miles was a three sport athlete that was one of the smoothest athletes i had ever seen.

The Eskimo's star was beginning to set. They had dominated the CFL from 54-58. The team was aging and needed an infusion of youth and new ideas. Eagle Keys was a former Eskimo player now was a first time head coach charged with remaking the team.

The Eskimos had been strong in recruiting in Texas and Oklahoma. The long shadows of former Esk coaches Darrell Royal and Pop Ivy helped to push university stars to Edmonton. the big recruit of the year was a Triple threat Oklahoma Univeristy All-American QB named Freddie Meyers. He was 6'3" 210 lbs. He could Run, Pass, and kick (punts and field goals. He was graceful and charismatic. A natural star.

Another recruit was a not not too tall, not to quick, very quiet young man from West Texas State. His Name was Tommy Joe Coffey, He was a possession type receiver like a Ray Berry or Steve Largent. tough determined route runner with great hands.

One day I screwed up my courage and asked Freddie for autograph. He took the time to give it to me and he would come and speak to me everyday at practice.

Coach Keys in his wisdom decided he had two of the best QB's in Parker and Getty, he decided that Freddie had to make it as an End (WR today). He would be competing for one import slot against another rookie TJ Coffey. It was a strong competiton that went on every day for the 4 weeks of training camp. It seemed Freddie had the upper hand he could do more things and he was smoother and flashier than Coffey. Coffey feeling the pressure learned to place kick in camp practicing diligently after everyone was in the showers.

The four exhibition games showed Meyers to best advantage. He caught passes ran back kicks as well as punted and place kicked. His advantage over his rival looked insurmountable. This is not to say TJC was a slouch. He showed well in each of the games.

When the final cutdown came it was shock around Edmonton that Coach Keys decided to Keep coffey over Meyers. It came out in an article later that the entire coaching staff wanted to keep Meyers, But the Head Coach had the only vote that counted. it should be noted that teams had 32 (i think) person rosters. Only 12 imports no practice squads. no where to stash a coming star.

Coffey went on to an illustrious Hall of Fame Career. A tough sure handed clutch receiver and kicker. He was MOP runner up 3 times, All CFL all star 7 times. Two time Grey Cup winner. Who could say Keys made the wrong decision. Yet I wonder what kind of Career Freddie would of had. I never knew what happened to him after that July.

The Eskimo's went to one more Grey cup in 1960 loosing to Ottawa. Parker was traded. They went for years without a great quarterback.

But this is tommy Joe Coffey story. He was a warrior who put his all on the line for his team and team mates. He stayed in Canada and became a Canadian Citizen raising a family here. it is sad that he is sliding into dementia.I for certain will never forget him and those hot shimmering days in July 1959.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good story globespanner
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Dementia is not a nice thing. My mother suffered from it and it was a very dehumanizing disease. All I can say is that even tho TJC was before my time as a fan (he was probably just retiring as I got interested), he is known to me. I hope that even with the ravages of his disease, that he and his family know that he left a lasting legacy for the league and will always be considered one of the greats.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Great story, globespanner. :thup:

Thanks for sharing.

BC 1988
Legend

Great thread. Thanks globespanner and WCJ.

Here's the story about his missing 1967 GC winning helmet (complete with no logo, as was the fashion for HAM up until the '70's.)
http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/607 ... -reunited/
South Pender
Legend

Geez, that's a sad story. I hate reading about quality guys like Tommy Joe Coffey spending their last years in poverty. The dementia isn't too nice either, although it's worth noting that a surprising number of 79-80 year-olds suffer some form of dementia not related to football-induced CTE. (About 16% of 80-84 year-olds experience some form of dementia.) The fact that he can articulate that memory loss is his greatest fear suggests that the cognitive impairment associated with dementia hasn't progressed very far yet (unless that utterance was made in the past). From all we've seen, Tommy Joe was a very accomplished, yet very modest, man--a combination seen less and less among top-performing athletes.