Free Agency- Unique year for BC Lions- Be GM for a Minute

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

globespanner
Rookie

In looking at the list of free Agents for the BC lions I would say a disproportionate amount of BC's cap is being freed up and in play. Taking into account the Salaries of Lulay, Harris, Olafioye, Arcenaux, Taylor E. Smith Cord Parks and Valli, there maybe near 50% of the Cap in play with less than 20 UFA's.

This high amount of $$$$ gives Wally a chance to do two things. Lock up some up and Comers... Steven Clarke, Josh Johnson, Kirby Fabien, Chris Rainey who are UFA's and Many Tommy Draheim Ronnie Yell, Mikhail Broos, Minter and our New young QB.

Wally can reshape the roster younger. He can sign assets from other teams strengthen us weakening them.

Here are my some of my questions? What are your Question and What are your Answers?

Do we trade from Strength.The emergence of Lokimbo and Hoffman Ellis make him a luxury. Is Solly an asset we can trade for a Rush End?
Could the Tandem of Menard and Lokimbo be the Rush End Tandem we are looking for. Edge rushers with High Motors and National citizenship?
Could Lokimbo take the place of Josh Johnson?
Does Tailback become an import position? almost certainly in my mind. Maybe they should go after Messam (not likely LOL)
Who are the must sign guys. Mine include Fabien, Olafioye, Rainey, Fraser and depending what you do with Solly E. Hoffman Ellis or Curran?

Let the games begin~!!!

Who else do we jettison?
CardiacKid
Legend

Well without having examined the free agent list with any great intensity (yet), my wish list is going to be brief....

-Capiciotti in Ottawa and either Jefferson from Edmonton or Okpalaugo from Toronto at defensive ends,
-Gabriel from Toronto at Safety,
-Kristian Matte on the O-line,
-Terrell Sinkfield at WR.

And Mark Nelson from the RedBlacks as our new DT coordinator. And Barrin Miles as special teams coach. I don't imagine those two guys are going anywhere as their respective teams have (now) stable coaching staffs but hey, this was billed as a wish list.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

It is too hard to predict, for many free agents will be signed before Feb 28. It also depends upon who the Lions sign and not sign before Feb 28. If Manny goes, they need a receiver. They need a new RB for Harris is gone, but I think they will recruit rookies from US colleges there. My wish list would include 2 new linemen. They need Canadians there. 3 imports was way too much and it did not work. I'd like to see Eric Fraser back; he did alright and they need to sign Rainey. if they lose him, they have to start all over again and it is hard to find great kick returners. Heard Ellis was a free agent and Curran is gone, no way they sign him. Barely heard his name after they signed him. Big splash signing failed. Already deep there.

I think this topic should be run again in early February, for half the free agents on the list will be resigned before Feb 1 and more before the 28th.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Most of the available free agents will be re-signed by their clubs.
Odie
Rookie

I love these topics as it is always fun to speculate. Of course, things are about a certain as a small lead is safe during a CFL season, but, for what it is worth, here are a few thoughts.

Offence:

I actually think the lions are in good shape at receiver, even with the possible departures of Arsenaux and Taylor. There are many waiting in the wings, so to speak. Hawkins and Burnham are poised for break-out seasons, Gore and Collie are solid, and we have plenty of capable canadian back-ups. As a potential replacement for Arsenaux, we need look no further than Jeffers-Harris who we recently re-signed. He is another big bodied deep threat who produced in limited chances this past year and is certainly capable of picking up Arsenaux's production.

At QB, I really hope we get Jennings sorted and installed with a great, attack-oriented game plan. I respect Travis, but the time has come... personally, however, I would love to see Travis with a headset... I think he will make a very good coach.

At RB, new blood is needed, in my opinion. Anthony Allen in Sask presents a potential veteran option who might provide some speed and a more bruising style - Messam is also interesting, but Im not sure about his feelings for BC. That said, i suspect the lions look to the college ranks, bringing up a floatilla of potentials for TC. This is all assuming that Harris is gone, of course.

Also - we need a coordinator. Im mildly concerned that the names associated with us - lapo and jackson - have signed elsewhere. Both had reasons out of Buono's control, but it seems important to find someone who will appease fans, but also inject some fire and inventiveness into the offence. I am unsure who might be next on the board, but I hope we can find someone with new ideas - perhaps from the college ranks? Kerwin Bell and Danny Barrett spring to mind. Personally, I would love to see Maas or Garcia with the lions, but that's really dreaming.

Defence:

I am going to get heat for this, but what about a potential trade for Eliminian? He is one of my favorite lions, but the emergence of Hoffman-Ellis and Lokombo might mean the lions have some flexibility here. Personally, Id like to see him back with BC, but who knows!

I would think Clarke and Fraser are important signings to the secondary and I hope they can find a way to keep Hoffman-Ellis - he will have his day in this league and I hope it is in a BC uniform. Id also hope Johnson will be back, but Im wondering if Lokombo can play that position... he seems to have the right skill set and it might allow for some flexibility in the secondary.... like an import safety.

I'd also love to see a continued building of the d-line - particularly with a rush end... cappicotti in Ottawa is an interesting name, as is Ted LAurent (as a DT) who might help in free agency, although I suspect they will be pursued by their current teams.

I am unsure about schemes as well - for two years, I have heard commentary from Washington about aggression and an attack-oriented philosophy, but I have not seen evidence of it on the field. Moreover, many of the tricks which made him successful in years past, have now been sussed out, or so it seems. Im not ready to write him off, but part of me also wonders who else might be out there...

Special Teams:

Rainey put the special back in special teams. Its been a long time since we had someone that electrifying and I hope he is a priority in the off-season. He is also a talent out of the backfield and added some spark to the offence down the stretch.

The biggest addition here will be a new co-ordinator. I heard Miles name tossed in somewhere and hope this is the truth - I would love to see him back in the organization. His eyes might also help the defensive secondary.
Blitz
Team Captain

Barrin Miles as special teams coordinator and defensive backs coach would be a dream hire. :rockin:
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:Barrin Miles as special teams coordinator and defensive backs coach would be a dream hire. :rockin:
I would love to see that happen. Are you listening Santa ?