Saskatchewan signs Chris Jones

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid
Legend

They (the Riders) weren't pussy-footing around when it became evident they wanted Jones. The guy is ambitious, there is no denying that. But can he turn it around in Saskatchewan? Pretty old team, might not have the personnel to fit a Chris Jones-style, particularly on defense. I think there will be some teething pains all around. He will need to get used to being in the fishbowl but Riderville might give him a lot of leeway. I am not going to expect a miracle in the first year but I think just his presence will get them wins over what might be typically possible with their existing talent.

The west is now officially all topsy turvy and the Eskimoes title defense is already behind the 8 ball. But all in all, a strong Rider team is good for the league...at least financially speaking.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/
Good. I still do not like the Evil Empire. I think Jones will do well in Regina. He will get the guys he needs. And he will make those that are there better. IMO ...

A big domino falls.

Maas to Edmonton?

J Jackson to B.C as O.C.? Not necessarily recommending it, but we hear ...
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
CardiacKid
Legend

WestCoastJoe wrote:
Good. I still do not like the Evil Empire.
:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Good. I still do not like the Evil Empire.
:thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup:
Ha ha ha

Yup
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

WestCoastJoe wrote:
A big domino falls.

Maas to Edmonton?

J Jackson to B.C as O.C.? Not necessarily recommending it, but we hear ...
From the TSN report:
Several details remain unknown, such as the future of Jones coaching staff in Edmonton and if he’ll attempt to bring a number of his assistants to the Riders.
The Eskimos now find themselves in need of a head coach and Ottawa RedBlacks offensive coordinator Jason Maas is expected to be a top candidate. Hamilton Tiger-Cats defensive coordinator Orlondo Steinauer was expected to be a top target on the market, however he and the Ticats have come to an agreement that will keep him in Hamilton.
The next question is whether Jones will bring the rest of his coaching staff with him to Saskatchewan, and what will happen to current Saskatchewan assistants, including OC Jacques Chapdelane (whose son is also on staff in Saskatchewan) and O-line coach Dan Dorazio. Could Wally reunite the old gang with the Lions? I'd feel more comfortable with JC as offensive coordinator than an untested Jarious Jackson, but I know others will see it differently.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I wouldn't. If JC is released from the Riders by Jones, you can infer what you will about Jones' opinion of JC. If he is such a guru, then why haven't we seen a clamoring from other teams for his services as a HC. Right now, it seems that we are simply turning the clock back because all of our "future steps" have turned to *poop*. Bringing back JC would be another one of those moves IMO. Not to mention, he was the OC for a 3-15 team this season. I know he wasn't the only problem on that team or maybe even the main problem but it is still 3-15.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Jones has a huge job ahead of him. 32 pending free agents.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Good, aggressive move by the Riders. Not guaranteed to succeed, however.

Jones has moved up very fast. He could be just fine, or success could make him unbearable. More unbearable? LOL His players like playing for him. If that changes, he could be in trouble.

He was the plum of this off season. Other teams will be fighting for scraps, almost.

Jason Maas next target.

Milanovich has had assistants move on to promotion. How many of Wally's guys have moved on to HC spots?

JC? Probably the most qualfied for an OC spot. Will Jones keep him on? Wally likes to re-cycle old, familiar cronies. JC or JJ for BC? Hmmmm ...

With whatever moves Wally makes to fill the gaping holes on his staff, it is hard to see a promotional campaign for 2016. Offensive staff guttted. Two Head Coach hirings by Wally failed. Recall all those that wanted DC Mark W gone. Of course, now he stays. Whooo Hooooo ...

Bring back Dan Dorazio. Ha ha and see another 10 years of OL shambles.

Not saying Blake Nill would translate well to the pros, although he might. But UBC, with him and Buratto, has a first rate staff, the envy of some CFL teams, as with the Lions, it seems to me.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am surprised that the Esks didn't keep Jones by giving him a big raise and making him HC/VP of Fottball Operations and thus Hervey's boss. Hervey would still be GM in name but really just an assistant GM. Hervey might have quit.

Apparently Jones and Hervey didn't see eye to eye, so I guess the Esks just picked Hervey over Jones. A mistake me thinks. OTOH if the Esks hire Mass as HC they may be OK.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:I am surprised that the Esks didn't keep Jones by giving him a big raise and making him HC/VP of Fottball Operations and thus Hervey's boss. Hervey would still be GM in name but really just an assistant GM. Hervey might have quit.

Apparently Jones and Hervey didn't see eye to eye, so I guess the Esks just picked Hervey over Jones. A mistake me thinks. OTOH if the Esks hire Mass as HC they may be OK.
I agree, Dano. IMO the Eskimos should have kept Jones, at whatever cost to Hervey's pride. Hervey may have gotten lucky in hiring Jones. We don't know about Hervey's judgment. And Maas may be just fine as a Head Coach.

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Regardless of whether the Esks come out of this ok or not, their biggest mistake was allowing the Riders to rebuild with Jones who without doubt is the best possible hire that the Riders could have made. :dizzy:
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Report: Chris Jones signs with Riders

Posted: December 06, 2015 09:15 PM

Updated: December 06, 2015 09:25 PM

CFL.ca Staff

REGINA -- The Saskatchewan Roughriders may finally have their man, as TSN's Ryan Rishaug reports the team has reached an agreement with Chris Jones to become the new head coach and general manager.

Jones was linked to the Riders almost immediately after winning the 103rd Grey Cup presented by Shaw a week ago as the head coach of the Edmonton Eskimos, and after his visit to Regina on Friday things moved quickly. The Riders were initially granted permission to speak to Jones, who will now take on the added responsibility of being a general manager.

The Riders made shockwaves back at the end of August when they dismissed Head Coach Corey Chamblin and General Manager Brendan Taman after the team started the season 0-9. Bob Dyce took over as head coach after that and Jeremy O'Day as GM, both on an interim basis, while President and CEO Craig Reynolds took the time to search for a long-term solution.

While Reynolds explored many avenues, including the possibility of having O'Day and Dyce back in the fold, he couldn't pass on the opportunity to bring in a proven winner in Jones.

Last week Jones led the Eskimos to a 26-20 win over the REDBLACKS on Sunday in Winnipeg. The Eskimos went 26-10 in two years under Jones, who joined the Esks in 2014 after spending two years as the Argos' defensive coordinator.

Riders granted permission to talk to Jones

Eskimos GM Ed Hervey has confirmed that he's granted permission to the Riders to speak to Chris Jones, who could soon be headed to Riderville.

City of Champions celebrates Grey Cup
103rd Grey Cup Playoff Centre

A disciple of coaching great Don Matthews, Jones was hired by the Eskimos after being a catalyst in the Argos' historic 100th Grey Cup win on home turf in 2012. Taking his aggressive coaching style and focus on young international talent to Edmonton, he led the Eskimos from a 4-14 season in 2013 to a 12-6 record a year later and a second-place finish in the West.

Jones built on that with a 14-4 season this year, finally dethroning the Stampeders to win the West Division. The Eskimos battled through a knee injury to Mike Reilly for the first half of the year, then upon his return won 10 straight games -- including the Grey Cup.

For a Riders team coming off a three-win season, one of its worst seasons in franchise history, hiring Jones to fulfill both roles was a no-brainer. The veteran coach has proven he can turn a team around quick, and he'll be busy out of the gate on a team currently with 32 players due to hit free agency.

While some difficult decisions await with the likes of Anthony Allen, Rob Bagg, Tyron Brackenridge, Chris Getzlaf, Alex Hall and Ryan Smith among others all hitting free agency, Jones has a chance to make Saskatchewan competitive right away and build the Riders in his preferred mold.

Rishaug also reported Sunday night that Jones is likely to bring most of his staff from Edmonton to Regina.

Jones also has a good starting point with veteran pivot Darian Durant poised to return under centre for the start of the year, a vaulable asset for any coach taking over a team for the first time.
http://www.cfl.ca/article/riderville-bo ... n-in-jones

WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

A disciple of coaching great Don Matthews, Jones was hired by the Eskimos after being a catalyst in the Argos' historic 100th Grey Cup win on home turf in 2012. Taking his aggressive coaching style and focus on young international talent to Edmonton, he led the Eskimos from a 4-14 season in 2013 to a 12-6 record a year later and a second-place finish in the West.
Don Matthews ... One of my all time favourites. :thup:
Jones built on that with a 14-4 season this year, finally dethroning the Stampeders to win the West Division. The Eskimos battled through a knee injury to Mike Reilly for the first half of the year, then upon his return won 10 straight games -- including the Grey Cup.

For a Riders team coming off a three-win season, one of its worst seasons in franchise history, hiring Jones to fulfill both roles was a no-brainer. The veteran coach has proven he can turn a team around quick, and he'll be busy out of the gate on a team currently with 32 players due to hit free agency.

While some difficult decisions await with the likes of Anthony Allen, Rob Bagg, Tyron Brackenridge, Chris Getzlaf, Alex Hall and Ryan Smith among others all hitting free agency, Jones has a chance to make Saskatchewan competitive right away and build the Riders in his preferred mold.
Rishaug also reported Sunday night that Jones is likely to bring most of his staff from Edmonton to Regina.
Ha ha ... That is rich. Gut the Eskimos.

SammyGreene
Team Captain

The new leverage these days seems to be the GM position too. So now Austin, Popp, Wally and Jones all have co-titles. A bittersweet time for Eskimos fans. Still relishing Grey Cup win and the coach is gone after just 2 years.

My first option for Lions OC is LaPolice. Hearing the Winnipeg rumours but it would take over paying to bring him back to the team that fired him to work under another coach. Wally could at least offer him the opportunity to take over as head coach if everything goes well here. Don't think that's the same scenario with the Bombers.

Jarious may well indeed be ready. Had a bit of gunslinger attitude as a player and that may go hand in hand with Jennings' strengths. But I also had pretty high hopes when Khari Jones was hired 2 years ago and that hardly went well.

Chapdelaine has worked well with young QBs before but not exactly going to pique the interest of a very restless and somewhat fragile fan base.