Covington and Boyko

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CardiacKid
Legend

Anybody heard any news as to the current or projected status of Brett Boyko and Christian Covington? Just curious as to how their time thus far in the NFL has gone. I know Boyko was on the PR and is still there I believe but wondering how Covington's time with the Texans has panned out.

I was desperately hoping they would make an appearance in a Lions uniform this year but patience is a necessity it seems.
pennw
Legend

Covington is on the Texans active roster and he is second guy on the depth chart at NT right behind Vince Wifork . So I don't think we will see him here any time soon .
It's all on the Texans website for anyone to look up . Maybe I'll let you get the info for Boyko . It will be on their website to just google them and their roster .
pennw
Legend

Ok , just looked up Boyko too and he's on the Eagles practise roster . I guess there's a better chance of seeing him in a Lions uni then Covington .
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I believe Covington has dressed for all games so far. He's recorded 6 tackles (4 solo, 2 assists) and 1 sack. While he's listed at backup behind Wilfork at NT he's definitely not a nose tackle. Wilfork has 35 pounds on him and most would suspect the 325 Vince lists at is generously light. I'm guessing Covington rotates in for passing situations. Boyko has been on the Eagle PR all season. I don't think he's been activated for any games yet.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
The_Pauser
Legend

Brett Boyko was just released by the Eagles today.
Roar you Lions roar!
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:Brett Boyko was just released by the Eagles today.
To quote Arte Johnson "verrrrrrry interestink".

If he were to sign in time for camp it certainly opens up possible changes in plans for the OL. It looks like initial plans are for Steward, O'Neill and Fabien to anchor down the middle of the OL with INT OTs on the bookends. Add Vaillancourt, Guy and Boyko to that as well as incumbents Cody Husband and T-Dre Player nd it's suddenly a crowded OL loaded with young talent. Will they start looking to move Steward back to tackle a position Boyko played in college. If Vaillancourt truly is pro-ready he and Guy may be ready to combine for one of the guard positions.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Interesting development for sure. Will be equally interesting if Boyko catches on with another team.
The_Pauser
Legend

Hambone wrote:

If he were to sign in time for camp it certainly opens up possible changes in plans for the OL. It looks like initial plans are for Steward, O'Neill and Fabien to anchor down the middle of the OL with INT OTs on the bookends. Add Vaillancourt, Guy and Boyko to that as well as incumbents Cody Husband and T-Dre Player nd it's suddenly a crowded OL loaded with young talent. Will they start looking to move Steward back to tackle a position Boyko played in college. If Vaillancourt truly is pro-ready he and Guy may be ready to combine for one of the guard positions.
Absolutely. I would certainly look at starting 4 National O-Linemen:

Steward/Boyko - Fabien/Husband - O'Neill/Thorn - Vaillancourt/Guy - Olafioye/Adcock
Roar you Lions roar!
CardiacKid
Legend

I hope his brother Chris, strength and conditioning coach for the Leos, is on the phone and lobbying his brother to head north and get his 6-6 foot frame and 300+ pounds in a new Lions uni!!!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Okay, time to chill..... :popcorn: I can't help but imagine he will shop himself around the NFL. But after spending a year on the PR, how willing would he be to risk another year of no game action? Lion's training camp is fast approaching and the prospect of getting a far better shot at starting or dressing for games must be part of the equation for him?

Is it just me but does there seem to be a big upswing in the Hope Department for the Leos?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The_Pauser wrote:
Hambone wrote:

Absolutely. I would certainly look at starting 4 National O-Linemen:

Steward/Boyko - Fabien/Husband - O'Neill/Thorn - Vaillancourt/Guy - Olafioye/Adcock
They almost have no choice. Unless there's a rash of hangnails in camp there aren't enough roster spots to keep everybody. You listed 8 NATs, Player would make 9 + the 2 INTs = 11. Typically a team dresses 7 OL. If they stayed with 2 INT OTs they'd likely have to put 3 of the NAT backups on the PR and hope like hell they don't get plucked away. The PR needs to be top heavy with INTs as this is where your backup/next starter up INTs reside. Tying up 3 PR spots with NAT OL leaves no room for any other NATs.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:I can't help but imagine he will shop himself around the NFL. But after spending a year on the PR, how willing would he be to risk another year of no game action? Lion's training camp is fast approaching and the prospect of getting a far better shot at starting or dressing for games must be part of the equation for him?

Is it just me but does there seem to be a big upswing in the Hope Department for the Leos?
For Boyko and his NFL aspirations it's a lousy time to be released. Teams are fairly set for their training camp rosters and have to release somebody to add somebody. It's not to say he isn't on someone's radar but the odds can't be great.
CardiacKid
Legend

I expect Chip Kelly in San Francisco is the most likely of coaches who would give Boyko another shot at a NFL roster spot. At least that would get him on the west coast...easy-peasy direct flight from there to Vancouver.
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

Join the party, Man.

Good run of luck we seem to be having. Jennings and Lulay signed and sealed. Vaillancourt. Gill. Overall draft. Adams. Boyko? How is Covington doing down south?
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

CardiacKid wrote:I expect Chip Kelly in San Francisco is the most likely of coaches who would give Boyko another shot at a NFL roster spot. At least that would get him on the west coast...easy-peasy direct flight from there to Vancouver.
Crowded house there. The 49ers drafted a guard late in the 1st round and took two tackles in the 5th. They signed 3 more UDFA OL including one from Kelly's former Oregon Ducks squad. They also signed FA Zane Beadles from the Jags. He's played every game in his 6 year career starting all but 2 back when he was a rookie with Denver in 2010.