Covington and Boyko

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

If Boyko indeed arrives in time for training camp, the only way to accommodate him is to use four nationals on the O-line, with Boyko backing up Steward at one of the tackle spots. Save a spot for international tackle Levy Adcock on the 46-man roster as an insurance policy, even if he can't crack the starting lineup. Barring injury, Tim O'Neill is locked in at centre for this year. There's no way the Lions can keep all the young nationals at guard.
pennw
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:If Boyko indeed arrives in time for training camp, the only way to accommodate him is to use four nationals on the O-line, with Boyko backing up Steward at one of the tackle spots. Save a spot for international tackle Levy Adcock on the 46-man roster as an insurance policy, even if he can't crack the starting lineup. Barring injury, Tim O'Neill is locked in at centre for this year. There's no way the Lions can keep all the young nationals at guard.
The other thing BC could do in such a scenario is trade an Olineman for another player they need , like maybe a top notch rush end .
For sure though, BC does find themselves with an abundance of OL . We probably will have to say good bye to some of the bubble guys . I wonder if WB took the return of Boyko into consideration when he drafted 2 OL . Of course Boyko hasn't returned yet . If he does ,and they all pan out , we could almost have an all Natinal OL really, providing we don't lose some . Hopefully Steward is past the injury bug thing .
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:If Boyko indeed arrives in time for training camp, the only way to accommodate him is to use four nationals on the O-line, with Boyko backing up Steward at one of the tackle spots. Save a spot for international tackle Levy Adcock on the 46-man roster as an insurance policy, even if he can't crack the starting lineup. Barring injury, Tim O'Neill is locked in at centre for this year. There's no way the Lions can keep all the young nationals at guard.
Until training camp, when half of them end up injured for half the season.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Until training camp, when half of them end up injured for half the season.
Yes, that seems to happen every year at every training camp. I'll be paying particular attention to Hunter Steward and fourth-round draft pick Dillon Guy, both of whom are coming off a couple of serious injuries.
Qman
Champion

Log jam at Oline this year.
How can they fit all these guys on the 46 man roster

I see them carrying 9 OL on the 46. Thorn on PR or cut

Adcock
Steward (Guy)
O'Neill (Vaillancourt) (Thorn)
Fabien (Husband) (Player)
Olafioye

if Boyko comes back, i think they move Steward to T.
Might have to trade Player to get something for him

Steward (Boyko)
Vaillancourt (Guy)
O'Neill (Thorn)
Olafioye (Adcock)

this assume no injuries .. knock on wood ...
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

You can never have enough depth.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

A lot of depth on the Oline, but not a ton of experience.
aklawitter
All Star

don't forget about the time-honoured tradition of hiding guys on the injured list
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Vancouver is a world class city and some like to hang around town after they've been cut.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

aklawitter wrote:don't forget about the time-honoured tradition of hiding guys on the injured list
For the most part Wally hasn't honoured that tradition. BC usually has a fairly short IR of 5 or 6 players compared to other teams who show 15 or 16. Tillman's teams tend to have a lot of injury problems. Look for Hamilton to have "bad injury luck" this year.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
aklawitter wrote:don't forget about the time-honoured tradition of hiding guys on the injured list
For the most part Wally hasn't honoured that tradition. BC usually has a fairly short IR of 5 or 6 players compared to other teams who show 15 or 16. Tillman's teams tend to have a lot of injury problems. Look for Hamilton to have "bad injury luck" this year.
When the CFL increased the roster size by 2 a few years ago it somewhat addressed the hiding guys on the IR list abuses. Still a good place to stash a young developmental QB though.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

DanoT wrote:
Hambone wrote:
When the CFL increased the roster size by 2 a few years ago it somewhat addressed the hiding guys on the IR list abuses. Still a good place to stash a young developmental QB though.
I recall under Wally a young kicker getting stashed there, O'Neill perhaps, and I think maybe a QB, Hart? Can't say as I recall any positional players. It's also not necessarily a good place to stash a developmental QB because in theory anybody on the 6 game list is not allowed to practice until 1 week before coming off. I don't believe it would stop a QB from attending meetings and such but they'd lose out on actual practice time, running the scout team etc. While you might be protecting his rights you'd be slowing his development.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Any new developments on Boyko ?
Qman
Champion

Qman wrote:Log jam at Oline this year.
How can they fit all these guys on the 46 man roster

I see them carrying 9 OL on the 46. Thorn on PR or cut

Adcock
Steward (Guy)
O'Neill (Vaillancourt) (Thorn)
Olafioye

if Boyko comes back, i think they move Steward to T.
Might have to trade Player to get something for him

Steward (Boyko)
Vaillancourt (Guy)
O'Neill (Thorn)
Olafioye (Adcock)

this assume no injuries .. knock on wood ...
i think i called this last week unfortunately for Cam.
but when you are cutting guys already that dressed for games last year its a good sign about depth and competition at camp the brought in.

Mike Beamish ‏@sixbeamers
#BCLions have released centre Cam Thorn
Last edited by Qman on Fri May 27, 2016 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Qman
Champion

TheLionKing wrote:Any new developments on Boyko ?
he's going to wait for injuries to see if something pops up.

my two cents: if he can't even make the 90man ... keep in mind the last 15 guys above traditional 75 can't make it in either league ... you might as well come up here and collect your C$100k and be steward's understudy.